Has anyone had a dose of AZ followed by a dose of Pfizer?

happydays

I had AZ in Bang Sue in  late July and got an SMS from BPH that I could have Pfizer last week at Central so I took it. No side effects from either. But I also have a 3rd shot scheduled next week Pfizer so the question is should I take it. In US they say 3rd shots are boosters 5-6 months later. Any ideas?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, ozimoron said:

I have but in Australia.

Then you may be having difficulty getting a vaccination certificate … stuff in local Oz press about the MyGov system having trouble recognising two different jabs.

i expect they’ll resolve the issue though - probably about a week before they introduce a new system.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, BananaGuy said:

Then you may be having difficulty getting a vaccination certificate … stuff in local Oz press about the MyGov system having trouble recognising two different jabs.

i expect they’ll resolve the issue though - probably about a week before they introduce a new system.

Yep, they won't issue one but I'm going to pressure them to give me a 2nd Pfizer shot in 2 weeks. I am booked and if they are reluctant then I will hassle them about the certificate and the declaration I made that I will get 2 shots of the same vaccine. It was my GP who got the CDC to approve Pfizer as a second shot. I think they will have no choice them I will have had a third vaccine shot.

52 minutes ago, ClaySmc said:

AZ + Moderna is a common combo; Pfizer is the same type of vaccine as Moderna, so I don't think it is any different.

Angela Merkel receives Moderna as second jab after AstraZeneca shot - BBC News

...and this on AZ + Pfizer:

Mixed AstraZeneca-Pfizer shot boosts COVID antibody level - study (yahoo.com)

This is good info. I am taking AZ next week after initial sinovac. Then going to USA and was thinking about following up with something else? Now I know I will do that.

1 minute ago, onekoolguy said:

This is good info. I am taking AZ next week after initial sinovac. Then going to USA and was thinking about following up with something else? Now I know I will do that.

There was a Korean study published by Reuters which claimed 6x more antibodies for Pfizer after AZ.

• Like 1

Yes, in Denmark.

Many people, especially in nursing homes and medical staff, initially had an AZ shot, but in April 2021 the Danish authorities stopped using AZ in the national vaccination program, and those people had a second shot with Pfizer.

Be aware though that some countries do not accept cross vaccination, but insist that travelers, who want to enter the countries, are vaccinated with two shots of the same vaccine. (Obviously this does not apply to persons vaccinated with Johnson & Johnson, which was also dropped in the Danish vaccination program at the same time as AZ). 

• Like 2

I have had this mixture AZ then PF in 2 famous hospitals in BKK. Spanish and Canadian research, unlike Thai proclamations, suggests that mixing is actually GOOD and can lead to 98pc resistance even to Delta. Frau Merkel knew this and she mixed (OK this super-intelligent lady is a Doctor of Physics or Engineering, I forget).

The secret is spacing. As with PF, the gap between mixed shots (according to Spanish research on 600 folk) must be at minimum 4 weeks. Because of hospital bookings clerks, my "gap" was 3.5 weeks, and I don't want it to get tighter. I had no serious effects from either, and I am looking forward to my next PF next week. It is not my intention to defraud the USA donors of PF, although I was actually sent an email INVITING me to have  the two PF.

One corollary of my experience is to prove that Thai computers do not speak to each other. There was nothing to stop me from booking a PF 12 hours after AZ, a very foolish gambit...but I do have professional experience in medical matters, and I was happy to follow Frau Merkel and the non-Thai research in order to reach, I hope, 98pc safety.

Those of us who follow variants are interested to note that a new one is arising in South Africa, known as C.1.2. The WHO is tracking it but, at the moment, it is not of "major concern". At the moment.

Eddy

• Thanks 1

Had one AZ two weeks ago. Next AZ October. Have a reserve, paid for Moderna when it becomes available, possibly early next year. I will take it as a belt and braces insurance. Moderna is of a similar make up to Pfizer so I am hoping for good protection, fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Be careful of any "promises" of future Moderna or other imports. I have read about late or non-arrival of some shots. You will have your cash returned but with apologies. This problem now seems to be improving compared with six months ago.

With all of the vaccines there has been profit-taking and over- or under-ordering on the part of senior officials and very wealthy families. I do not wish to recount what I know, as I will risk being deleted. It has been badly-managed. Much of the rioting has been because poorer or geographically undermined Thais were fobbed off with two low-end shots and now find that their resistance is only 50pc. They will all need boosters, ASAP or early next year. The fuss could have been averted 18 months ago by official research-based purchasing and numerical planning. Many Thais are calling the future of this government into question.

Eddy

• Like 1

Same comment as some of the others here:  I have not seen or heard of a single hospital or app in Bangkok that will allow you to get Pfizer if you have already had an AZ jab.  I have tried different sign-up apps and several different hospitals, and every time without exception they ask, "Have you received any shot already?"  If the answer is yes (as in my case - I have received one AZ jab so far), then I am told I cannot get Pfizer as my second shot.  I don't want to lie and say "no" because it's never a good idea to lie when it comes to medical care.

I got my first AZ in mid-July.  My second jab isn't scheduled until early October.  I figured if I could get Pfizer as my second shot, I could get it now.  I wouldn't have to wait so long, plus I get the added benefit of better efficacy.  But every hospital I've contacted in Bangkok and every reservation app I've tried says I can't; it's strictly for those who have not had any shot yet.

If someone has managed to do it, I'd like to know how and where.  Thanks.

Edited by Rael007
typo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, soleddy said:

I have had this mixture AZ then PF in 2 famous hospitals in BKK. Spanish and Canadian research, unlike Thai proclamations, suggests that mixing is actually GOOD and can lead to 98pc resistance even to Delta. Frau Merkel knew this and she mixed (OK this super-intelligent lady is a Doctor of Physics or Engineering, I forget).

The secret is spacing. As with PF, the gap between mixed shots (according to Spanish research on 600 folk) must be at minimum 4 weeks. Because of hospital bookings clerks, my "gap" was 3.5 weeks, and I don't want it to get tighter. I had no serious effects from either, and I am looking forward to my next PF next week. It is not my intention to defraud the USA donors of PF, although I was actually sent an email INVITING me to have  the two PF.

One corollary of my experience is to prove that Thai computers do not speak to each other. There was nothing to stop me from booking a PF 12 hours after AZ, a very foolish gambit...but I do have professional experience in medical matters, and I was happy to follow Frau Merkel and the non-Thai research in order to reach, I hope, 98pc safety.

Those of us who follow variants are interested to note that a new one is arising in South Africa, known as C.1.2. The WHO is tracking it but, at the moment, it is not of "major concern". At the moment.

Eddy

"One corollary of my experience is to prove that Thai computers do not speak to each other." 

I'm curious if you have downloaded the Mor Prom App and checked what is in the government system under your (new) Thai Id number.  I think you might be surprised that they are fully aware of what shot's you have had, where and when.  That may (or may not) come back and bite you. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, onekoolguy said:

Check what vax the USA recognizes maybe im wrong but sure i read somewhere sinavax and astra are not on their list  but could be only for uk citizens as I was to go to a wedding there and wasnt allowed 

5 hours ago, ronjomtien said:

I had AZ in Bang Sue in  late July and got an SMS from BPH that I could have Pfizer last week at Central so I took it. No side effects from either. But I also have a 3rd shot scheduled next week Pfizer so the question is should I take it. In US they say 3rd shots are boosters 5-6 months later. Any ideas?

I am in exactly the same situation as you.

I had AZ in June, I had Pfizer last week. I am booked for AZ September 9th and Pfizer shortly after which would be four doses , two of each,. I am not doing it.

I was thinking about having another Pfizer.

I researched online two areas:

1. Mixing vaccines.

2. Can you overdose on vaccines.

In Spain, tests confirmed 1st dose AZ followed by second dose Pfizer created a robust response. Further information suggests that the MRNA vaccines are better equipped to be adapted for use to variants than AZ vaccines in the future. So, if I have another, I will go Pfizer. However, it also stated that AZ offered protection for a longer period.

Next, overdoses have occurred around the world including Italy and the USA by caregivers.There have been cases where whole vials were injected into people in error meant for six people, at one go with no serious side effects. In the US, it happened to 70 plus inmates at a prison, again with no serious side effects.

They actually stated in the early part of the pandemic, they were giving higher doses of the vaccines anyway, until they established the correct dosage. However, a footnote in the report was, increased dosages neither benefited to vaccine protection or detracted from it.

Anyway, I am in the high risk group and vaccinated, so I should give way to others that need the vaccine. I will happily pay for a booster in six months.

Edited by Scouse123

I'll be getting my 2nd Pfizer shot in a couple of weeks here in Surin.

My forward planning is contemplating some booster shot in the first half of next year. My thinking at this stage is to get AZ as booster on the basis that the different approach to the virus will reinforce the resistance I should already have by then. But no hurry. Other developments may offer other choices at the time.

I got my first shot AZ in July and the second is planed in October. I could have Moderna now, but I prefer to receive the second AZ shot.

1. reason: I will have a clear documentation about full vaccination
2. reason: I will catch a third shot beginning of next year in my home country. That time should be already the next generation of mRMA vaccines available.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, flexomike said:

Every website that I have visited for getting a Pfizer shot says it is only for those who have not received any kind of a Covid vaccination.

yes true I've had 1 AZ .but was contacted a few weeks ago offered Pfizer i said yep great but when i told than had already had 1 AZ  said cannot do sorry 

• Like 1