Prayut walks back October reopening for the country

webfact

4 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Even if i wanted to go Thailand to be in my condo there….how can you plan anything with the constant changes and government flip flop.  Comes October more measures will be added not reduced……

Basically many people who might want to come to Thailand are in the same boat. It will not be practical to plan ahead until the country is largely vaccinated with capable vaccines. Experience elsewhere suggests that with Delta it means 70% of the population (including children). That is still not herd immunity, but disruptive spikes should not be an issue. It would help if the capacity for testing and gene sequencing were increased. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

"government implemented mandatory lockdown measures"? And what exactly were those? Closing restaurants and bars? People still moved freely about. It was the worst of everything. People lost their jobs and still contracted and died from the virus.

This is actually the first intelligent thing I've heard come out of his mouth. Reopening the country would be a disaster.

A real lockdown for 3-4 weeks is what's needed to crush the virus. Then maybe you can open November 1st and save the tourist season. Otherwise the country is screwed and many more will get sick and die.

A real vaccination program that includes everyone, I mean everyone from 12 yo up, is the only possibility for reopening. 

1 hour ago, Shocked farang said:

A real vaccination program that includes everyone, I mean everyone from 12 yo up, is the only possibility for reopening. 

I agree.Here i norway they start vaccinate age 16/17.

In 20 minutes the goverment will have a press conferance about age 12-15 years old.I think they decide that these should also be vaccinated.Here we only use phizer and moderna.I get my first shot 23rd july and after 4 weeeks get my second shot.In my city 100% is vaccinated now.

• Like 1

Just see the goverment news now.We will start vaccinate age 12-15 with phizer.We can now travel to neighbour countries short trips until 24 hour without any testing when come back.From 12th september family members and their kids can come here if they stay outside EU.If u have a GF/BF whos from outside EU now can get visa until 90 days if the person age over 18.This include from any country in the world.Great news for the people missing their love ones.Im from norway if i forget to say that.

8 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Some of us foolish  “tourists “ are booking to see our families and homes in Thailand ….FULLY vaccinated and covid tested 3-4 times  unlike many who comment in this forum. 

That was NOT whom I was referring to.  A tourist is a family or couple, even an individual who is going there to have a care free holiday not get reunited with a loved one whom they haven't seen.  

Tourism is tourism, your situation is entirely different.  

Only a fool would go on a vacation to Thailand, or book in October for a holiday with a long in the tooth pandemic raging.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Time to get over this nonsense and face reality. Denmark at least is getting it.

"Denmark says Covid is no longer a ‘socially critical disease.’"

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/27/world/denmark-says-covid-is-no-longer-a-socially-critical-disease.html

It is getting to that point, make no mistake.  When vaccines are widely available and people refuse to get them, then it's let it rip time.  The unfortunate thing that happens is the health care system is at risk, but if it were up to me I'd say let them fend for themselves no matter what happens at home.  

Wishful thinking on my part and I'm sure probably flawed, but it's how I feel at times.  

2 hours ago, stigar said:

Just see in the news here in norway that abu-dhabi open for every tourist thats vaccinated,dont need any quarantene.Another slap in the thai goverment face.

Theres no money to be made if theres no need for quarantine….surely we know that

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

Flip - Flopping yet again Mr P, he doesn't know what planet he's on... 

You mean like everywhere else.

The UK will see a “significant surge” in Covid-19 cases following the return of schools, but it is too early to say whether certain restrictions will need to be reintroduced, a leading scientist has said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/global-health/science-and-disease/coronavirus-news-covid-third-vaccine-passport-cases-deaths-nhs/

17 hours ago, Why Me said:

Depends on the daily case numbers. If they drop to the hundreds - no I am not smoking anything, could  happen, it's the Delta characteristic to shoot up shoot down - no reason not to open.

Plus vaccines. At nearly million a day should be able to get 60-70% in the main pop centers jabbed by the end of the month. Which are herd numbers.

Have faith in Prayut. Man's dumb as a ham sandwich. But he likes his job.

Gonna need a drug test from you????

People that like their jobs are usually good at it, I'd argue he likes the perks of his position while not being particularly good at it.

Have faith in Prayut? I'll just leave that one alone

10 hours ago, jvs said:

Imo in about two weeks infections will increase a lot again,it is far from over.

It is far from over everywhere. Just had a week in Scotland, masks everywhere and you have to check in and out everywhere you go. Despite the control, cases are rapidly rising now the schools are back, that is yet to happen in England.

Not only that, food is becoming short and prices are shooting up. Vaccination may prevent you dying but it is no exemption from the disease or isolation and it certainly doesn't prevent the distribution network from breaking down.

Of course the grass is always greener.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Shocked farang said:

The UK program may not have went as well as they make out. Will it be 3rd jabs or 1st?

The government’s expert advisers on vaccination are resisting intense political pressure to give the go-ahead for Covid jabs for all Britain’s teenagers because of fears it could disrupt the programme of boosters for vulnerable older people, The Independent has learnt.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/coronavirus-vaccine-teenagers-schools-jcvi-b1911992.html

15 hours ago, bkk_bwana said:

Much as I dislike the PM, it's not just him or Thailand. Every country in the world has behaved exactly the same way. Flip-flop, changing policies, do this, do that. Say this, say that. Open this, close that. Nobody knows how to handle the pandemic 'properly'. Why should they?

yeah, it is him actually. he specifically didn't join the world vax program, so Thailand is a full step behind. and he proclaimed himself the covid csar, so who else can be blamed? I'm beginning to learn it's a thai thing to not join the world consensus and to favor your own process, for whatever reason. I thought the politicians would have seen benefit of joining the program, but I guess they were blinded by the shiny coins on the table

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blumpie said:

It is getting to that point, make no mistake.  When vaccines are widely available and people refuse to get them, then it's let it rip time.  The unfortunate thing that happens is the health care system is at risk, but if it were up to me I'd say let them fend for themselves no matter what happens at home.  

Wishful thinking on my part and I'm sure probably flawed, but it's how I feel at times.  

I agree, here in the US everyone that wanted to be vax'd has done so long ago. The ones that are dying are doing so from their own convictions. Climb a mountain, skydive, refuse vaccination, nobody feels sorry if you die from taking unnecessary risks. I hope that's not flawed thinking also, but you aren't alone in that thought at least!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brucegoniners said:

"government implemented mandatory lockdown measures"? And what exactly were those? Closing restaurants and bars? People still moved freely about. It was the worst of everything. People lost their jobs and still contracted and died from the virus.

This is actually the first intelligent thing I've heard come out of his mouth. Reopening the country would be a disaster.

A real lockdown for 3-4 weeks is what's needed to crush the virus. Then maybe you can open November 1st and save the tourist season. Otherwise the country is screwed and many more will get sick and die.

Oh wise one we should’ve put you in charge you seem to have it all figure it out

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, cncltd1973 said:

I agree, here in the US everyone that wanted to be vax'd has done so long ago. The ones that are dying are doing so from their own convictions. Climb a mountain, skydive, refuse vaccination, nobody feels sorry if you die from taking unnecessary risks. I hope that's not flawed thinking also, but you aren't alone in that thought at least!

It’s flawed thinking.

When you fall off a mountain, you don’t take your friends and family with you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Theres no money to be made if theres no need for quarantine….surely we know that

We know that depends on who you are talking about when you say "no meney to be made if there's no need for quarantine"!

If there's no need for quarantine, then there will be more tourists, and both small and large businesses will benefit. When there is quarantine, the small businesses, and average Thai get no benefit whatsoever.

On 9/2/2021 at 8:26 AM, DaveSamutP said:

Sorry, this is a false equivalence... 

Singapore, for example, has been almost perfect in its handling. And, now things there are effectively back to near normal. Economy grew at a good clip. Just for an example in the neighborhood. 

Singapore is small island of under 6 million people that has been managed with an iron fist in a kid glove for years with a compliant poulation. That is false equivalence.