Azalina proposes a recall election bill as a Private Member's Bill

Former Deputy Parliament Speaker Datuk Seri Azalina Othman Said has filed a motion for a Private Member's Bill to provide for recall elections in the case of defections by elected members.

1247981830_azamain.jpg.8a4d2a2b01890c148dc473c9feecca6d.jpg

The warning was issued to comply with Parliament's Standing Orders 49, according to the Pengerang MP in a statement posted on Facebook yesterday (1).

“This motion is in keeping with the government's current 'Anti-Party Hopping' campaign, and it would indirectly foster unity between the government and the 'Keluarga Malaysia' ethos, which also talks of bipartisan cooperation.

“I hope that this proposal will serve as a springboard for the introduction of a 'Recall Election' in the September Parliament session,” she stated.

She also stated that she intends to organise a Parliamentary Reform and Multi-Party Democracy Caucus among MPs who are interested.

She went on to say that her proposed Bill would also allow people to exercise checks and balances on MPs.

“I hope the Speaker approves the motion to be tabled and debated, and I appreciate the law minister expediting this motion in the same way as the RUU 355 was expedited in 2015,” she stated.

The previous Bill to modify the Shariah Courts (Criminal Jurisdiction) Act 1965, RUU 355, only made it to the floor of Parliament after a federal minister recommended elevating it above cabinet ministers.

She also stated that she has written to all MPs to explain the significance and benefits of the Bill, which she claims will help to maintain election fairness and integrity.

“I believe that this reform plan will lead to political stability and good governance, ensuring the welfare and future of the people,” she said.