How does this thinggy work?

carlyai

At my son's place at the moment and cleaning the pool after decking tiling.

So I 've got it fairly clean and want to put the auto vacuum Manta on. 

The pool pump has 3 speeds. When it starts it runs on fast then medium then low speeds. On fast there is not enough water sucked thru Manta and the pump has low water input. 

The setup has this thinggy that attaches to the skimmer box and I think it's to open a flap (the black flap in the pics) and let more water flow into the skimmer.

If you look at the pics, the black flap is attached to 2 springs that can be attached at position 1, 2 or 3. Which ever way I attach it the spring pressure on the flap seems too great to have the water flow open it. If I take the black flap out, it lets in to much water and the auto vaccum Manta machine won't work.

How does this thinggy attachment work? Have I got it setup correctly (obviously not).

20210904_074924.jpg

20210904_074952.jpg

20210904_075006.jpg

20210904_075042.jpg

• Like 1

I think the idea is to regulate the "suck" going to the Manta by letting extra water in via the black flap. Evidently it's not doing it's job adequately and staying closed even when the pump is on fast.

Have you tried removing one of the springs to reduce the opening pressure on the flap without removing it completely?

Maybe use some rubber bands as a lower strength "spring".

Dumb question, has it ever actually worked in the past?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Crossy said:

I think the idea is to regulate the "suck" going to the Manta by letting extra water in via the black flap. Evidently it's not doing it's job adequately and staying closed even when the pump is on fast.

Have you tried removing one of the springs to reduce the opening pressure on the flap without removing it completely?

Maybe use some rubber bands as a lower strength "spring".

Dumb question, has it ever actually worked in the past?

Thanks. Will try some rubber bands. 

Don't think it has ever worked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

I assume you have the manual, just in case ...

TL 2200.pdf 429.75 kB · 3 downloads

Thanks Crossy. I don't think it ever really worked...and there is not enough water being sucked into the pump.

I think there's another problem and that the bottom pool drain may be blocked with waste grindings from the sandstone tiles. Beautiful thick tiles, even have fossil imprints in them. 

Thanks again.

First thing you should do is check the pump filter unit and strainer for debri and make sure that they are clean, so that the water flow through the pump is adequate. If the filter and strainer are full of <deleted> then your auto pool cleaner wont work because it wont get enough suction pressure from the pump.  Secondly the "manta" or creepy crawly joints needs to maintain a seal in order to work, so make sure that all of the hose connections along the length of the head and  hose sections  are all in good order, not split, well jointed and joints and ensure that no air is being sucked into the system at any join, as this will lead to a loss of suction on the auto head and it wony suck or move.

Thirdly, prime the auto head line by making sure that the suction line between the head and pool pump connection point is  full of water, otherwise the pump can get a big gutful of air and lose its prime before the vaccuum head gets moving. Finally, these devices aren't designed to suck rubble out of a pool, they suck fine grit and leaves of the bottom and sides of the pool only. If you have got tiling rubble in the pool then you need to get into the pool and clean it out by hand before using the auto pool vacuum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

No idea, but......

Mantra, there ok for smaller pools.

If you really want a clean pool without the fuss get a robotic pool cleaner.

Our pool is always spotless!

Just pop it in and turn it on.

AliBaba, about 30 % cheaper than buying them in Thailand.

Maytronics also honors the warranty in Bangkok.

Climbs and cleans pool walls as well.

Good luck!

IMG_20210904_174947.jpg

IMG_20210904_175149.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah, if all your flow is going via the skimmer you have another issue.

Time to get the snorkel out and check the bottom drain (it is turned on isn't it?).

Seems that it's a hydrostatic valve not a drain. 

So if all else fails, read the handbook. ????

12 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

No idea, but......

Mantra, there ok for smaller pools.

Our pool is always spotless!

Just pop it in and turn it on.

AliBaba, about 30 % cheaper than buying them in Thailand.

Maytronics also honors the warranty in Bangkok.

Climbs and cleans pool walls as well.

Good luck!

IMG_20210904_174947.jpg

IMG_20210904_175149.jpg

Nice pool and cleaning robot. Can it climb over the middle part? What's the middle part for, separate the spar and pool?

Still lovely.

19 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Or make it by the old fashion classical way manually, same like vacuuming your carpets (if any).

And if you make an additional inlet to the pump for connecting the flexible sucking hose and shutting off the skimmer line (and any other sucking) you can do it without the hassle of the skimmer leakages and air in the pipes.

Then, unlike with the robot when laying on sofa and watching it by CCTV, it can help you keeping your physical condition, that's what the pools are for...

I keep the sucking hose in the overflow channel, it is always full of water while shut off, easy to slide over the edge into the pool and afterwards again back, anytime ready to suck.   

18082709.JPG

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Saanim said:

Or make it by the old fashion classical way manually, same like vacuuming your carpets (if any).

And if you make an additional inlet to the pump for connecting the flexible sucking hose and shutting off the skimmer line (and any other sucking) you can do it without the hassle of the skimmer leakages and air in the pipes.

Then, unlike with the robot when laying on sofa and watching it by CCTV, it can help you keeping your physical condition, that's what the pools are for...

I keep the sucking hose in the overflow channel, it is always full of water while shut off, easy to slide over the edge into the pool and afterwards again back, anytime ready to suck.   

18082709.JPG

Nice ????

On 9/5/2021 at 1:53 PM, Saanim said:

18082709.JPG

Very nice pool.

On 9/5/2021 at 6:49 AM, carlyai said:

Nice pool and cleaning robot. Can it climb over the middle part? What's the middle part for, separate the spar and pool?

Still lovely.

Thanks.

It climb over those island steps.  Cleans the walls though.

This is separated, childs pool (shallow) and the deeper area.

The pool vacuum is great.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Very nice pool.

Made 15 years ago by D-I-Y (OK, with a help of village brick-layers), spending ca. 10% of the offers seeing sometimes here by "professionals", with the cheapest materials (cinder blocks, kitchen tiles, cement), pipes, valves, pump, sand filter bought in GH, Hi-Tec by a timer for pump, manual dispersion (when suitably remembered) of copper sulphate and chlorine. No bother with pH maintaining.

However, when I share my construction and maintenance knowledge some call it "backyard experience". Actually, that's correct, I built it in my backyard... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Saanim said:

Made 15 years ago by D-I-Y (OK, with a help of village brick-layers), spending ca. 10% of the offers seeing sometimes here by "professionals", with the cheapest materials (cinder blocks, kitchen tiles, cement), pipes, valves, pump, sand filter bought in GH, Hi-Tec by a timer for pump, manual dispersion (when suitably remembered) of copper sulphate and chlorine. No bother with pH maintaining.

However, when I share my construction and maintenance knowledge some call it "backyard experience". Actually, that's correct, I built it in my backyard... 

I think we both learned from building these pools.

Not many pool professionals in Issan.

Great fun with the family, BBQ, and some nice music!

I'm using a salt chlorinator and it's been working great the last few years.  I never check the PH level.

The waters cleaners than our filtered well water.

Enjoy!

• Like 1