Preah Vihear authorities seize more than 2,000 cubic metres of non-timber forest products

geovalin

Preah Vihear provincial authorities on Thursday cracked down on four illegal processing shops in Tbeng Meanchey district and confiscated more than 2,000 cubic metres of non-timber forest products.

Nuon Sokhom, provincial Forestry Administration Chief in Preah Vihear said today the seized products are being kept at their headquarters for further investigation.

He added that from January to last month, the provincial forestry administration cracked down on 87 cases of forestry crime, including stockpiling and transportation, and seized 110,160 cubic metres of timber.

read more https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50928890/preah-vihear-authorities-seize-more-than-2000-cubic-metres-of-non-timber-forest-products/

Anyone ever visit this area??  I lived there for a few months. Logging has decimated the area. A day late and a dollar short should be the headline for this story..

Non-timber forest products?

Reminds me of a law suit in the US on cigarettes, one of the big players in the industry got away as they were not selling cigarettes but "short-term nicotine delivery devices" and hence could not account for long-term damages ......... 

Every day is school day, me thinks, you learn all the time! 

19 hours ago, andy said:

Made a few visits on a motorbike a long time ago - this was probably '03-'04-ish.  Preah Vihear temple, Koh Ker, Preah Khan.  Lots of forest still intact then.  I did a motorbike trip from Stung Treng to Tbeng Meanchey that was basically a trail through the jungle, one hell of an awesome experience.  It was about a 10 hour ride with breaks and thought I would have to sleep in the forest at one point.  Is there any forest left or is it totally wiped out?

Wow, bet that was a cool trip. Lived in Tbeng Meanchey birding about 3 years ago, the last time. Logging was out of control. While birding the logging goons came to pay me a visit to make sure I was not an activist.. Guns, the whole nine yards. Scared the <deleted> out of me. Slash and burn. I drove my truck from Thailand. All along that area all the way to the Vietnam border was horrible. There is still jungle but it is fading fast..