American health insurance won't issue $100,000 COVID declaration statement required for a certificate of entry!

miketu

Hi all, has anyone from the US had any success using their American health insurance policy  to obtain an OA retirement visa instead of having to purchase expensive Thai COVID-19 travel health insurance policies for a year stay?  I am fully covered in Thailand with my American health insurance policy but they won't issue the $100,000 declaration statement required for a certificate of entry into Thailand.  Has anyone found a work around with these American companies to get them to issue the required $100,000 declaration statement?  If I am forced to purchase a $1000+ Thailand COVID health insurance I will have a grand total of three health insurance policies costing me nearly $7000 USD a year!

It’s hard to get the USA companies to issue a letter because the Thai gov wants it to be stupidly specific and use pointed wording. It’s also worth noting that USA insurance will probably not cover you for asymptomatic hospitalization so it’s almost better to get “covid insurance” 

I got mine through AXA and they’ve got a proven track record of actually covering people with covid both asymptomatic and symptomatic. 

You could always get a higher fare return ticket for say 60 days after arrival, then cancel and get a refund for the return leg, thereby only needing 2-3 months worth of insurance. I think mine when I did it like this was around 7k baht for 3 months with AXA. 

It’s actually not a bad idea to get this insurance considering all the tests you’ve got to take and the fact that they WILL put you in a private hospital for at least 2 full weeks if you fail one. 

On 9/5/2021 at 6:52 PM, Leveraged said:

It’s hard to get the USA companies to issue a letter because the Thai gov wants it to be stupidly specific and use pointed wording. It’s also worth noting that USA insurance will probably not cover you for asymptomatic hospitalization so it’s almost better to get “covid insurance” 

I got mine through AXA and they’ve got a proven track record of actually covering people with covid both asymptomatic and symptomatic. 

You could always get a higher fare return ticket for say 60 days after arrival, then cancel and get a refund for the return leg, thereby only needing 2-3 months worth of insurance. I think mine when I did it like this was around 7k baht for 3 months with AXA. 

It’s actually not a bad idea to get this insurance considering all the tests you’ve got to take and the fact that they WILL put you in a private hospital for at least 2 full weeks if you fail one. 

This is my plan. I have the same problem as the OP. While I feel Thailand's required wording is overbearing it's not that complicated but apparently too difficult for my insurance company to do.

Same here, in the end had to purchase a separate policy that covers $1,000,000 for all the world except the US and gave me the doc the COE needed.  About $225/mo and good thing I did it as I discovered while asking about the statement my US policy only covers me 6mo out of the country in a calendar year for life threatening emergency only and I usually am out 8mo. Needed the extra insurance.

• Like 1