Are The Children Safe?

click2delete

How Safe are your children?  

60 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I dont think there is much difference in the day to day risks living here or in the west, but the big clincher for me personally is the emergency services response times. A young child can get into all sorts of medical problems during the early years and you dont always know what might develop and the first sign could be collapsing in the classroom. How quickly the ambulance can get there, and how efficiently they are treated once they get to a hospital makes all the difference and here is how it might compare:

5pm in the UK: 3/4 minute ambulance response, very good medical care from ambulance staff, in hospital within 10 minutes and fully monitored

5pm in Bangkok: any amount of time depending exclusively on the roads, weather and location of the school, very poor meeical care from ambulance staff, in hospital probably some hour(s)+ later and not guarantee of full care being taken when the kid gets there.

That, for me, is reason enough not to want to bring up a child here. I may yet change my mind.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:o:D

When you are rolling on the floor, laughing out loud, it would be but considerate if you indicated which of the preceding posts put you in this exalted state, perhaps by quoting a few words from the respective post – but please, not the entire, lengthy post, lengthy, that is, if it is the post that I think it is.

I know, as you were writing your post you probably thought it would show up immediately after the post that tickled your funny bone, but on a hot topic like this other posts can get ahead of yours. Happens to me occasionally, too.

--------------

Maestro

:D Yeah, I meant that for your post in #2. :D Actually, Clickie's OP did make me roll on the floor laughing a bit as well. :D

nothing funny about the OP's concern for his child's safety. I raised a son in the US and I'd never take that back. He is now 19 and in an ivy league school. I'd never raise a child in Thailand

I can't relate to the OP.

What does it have to do with Luuk Krungs in particular? Aren't we talking about all kids here (if that is your concern?).

I'm here for work and the fact that by working here, we can afford for my wife to stay home to be a full time mum. So work brings on a very positive lifestyle benefit. This is already a massive headstart over what I'd be able to acheive in the west were we'd both be working (only I slog my guts out now :o )

After that, who knows. I take the best of both worlds approach to these things. You can only control the risks in your own life, and mitigate them.

Outside risks, you can't really do much about these things. If there are a dozen things here that can harm my daughter, there would be a dozen other things back in my home country that would also harm my daugher, of which I'd have absolutely no control over. I don't see outside dangers being any higher or lower here than they would be at home.

I find your comment curious. What is the demographic of the Thaivisa poster and reader? They are predominantly foreigners in Thailand, no? They make Luk Krungs.

How did you not get that? I can't think of a single place in America where live wires lay on the ground.

I think your son would probably be safer if he wasn't sleeping on a desk, what with all those hard edges and about a meters drop to the floor.

Making assumptions now eh?

For your edification, I duct tape his head to the desk. He's perfectly safe and I thank you for your concern.

Edited by click2delete

I find your comment curious. What is the demographic of the Thaivisa poster and reader? They are predominantly foreigners in Thailand, no? They make Luk Krungs.

How did you not get that? I can't think of a single place in America where live wires lay on the ground.

I thought it was a fair comment, and good post by Samran.

Do you think that your Look Kreung son is better than the Thai boy next door?

I'm sorry, I find the question offensive. My son is pure Thai. Is he less deserving of safety or caring than luk kreungs? Oh, I just read your OP again "I don't want him growing up Thai". Well, that's where we differ. My son is Thai & I want him to grow up with a love for his country & a full understanding of his culture & where he comes from.

Of course I keep him safe. Of course I watch out for him. Of course I occasionally panic. But I'm not about to take his childhood away from him.

I'm British. My sister lives in UK & has 2 children. She won't let them play outside because of "stranger danger". It makes me so sad to think of generations of kids missing out on all the fun I had as a child. There is a fine line between paranoia & legitimate safety. Each parent has to draw their own line. Try to draw yours somewhere where you take safety into account, but where your kid still has a childhood. He only gets one.

OP, have you ever been called a racist?

Have I been called a racist .. hmmm as a black man I have rarely been called a racist. Yet posters here like to call me clickieBOY. Come to America and start calling the black man boy ..

Good luck.

My son as a luk krueng is better than the boy next door. Why? He has me as a father. I am smarter than his father, more concerned with things that matter than with saving face. I won't let him ride a motorbike but dad puts his 3 year old Thai boy on the front with no helmet.

Is he better - he will be smarter. And that makes him better.

Yes.

Got news for you sister, there are sinister people out and about. That goes for here, the UK or America.

When I was a kid we rode our bikes into the night - 2 am sometimes - I was 12. I wouldn't let my boy out under the same conditions.

I deplore the way Thai children are taught. They are taught not to think.

And if you want to argue about Thai education, then explain why it is almost at the very bottom of the list - they can't compete with other countries because the education is so poor.

I'm bracing for the barrage of "how good it is" or "it's their culture"

Bring it on.

They're at the bottom.

Not the top.

Not the middle.

The bottom.

And perhaps if you have a problem with that reality let me know. I'm sure I can help you.

Got news for you sister, there are sinister people out and about. That goes for here, the UK or America.

When I was a kid we rode our bikes into the night - 2 am sometimes - I was 12. I wouldn't let my boy out under the same conditions.

And if you want to argue about Thai education, then explain why it is almost at the very bottom of the list - they can't compete with other countries because the education is so poor.

Bring it on.

They're at the bottom.

Not the top.

Not the middle.

The bottom.

And perhaps if you have a problem with that reality let me know. I'm sure I can help you.

I'm assuming, that that comment was for me (the "sister" remark sort of gave it away!) Well, all I can say is, thank goodness you're not a product of the dreadful Thai education system. You might have quoted the wrong member's quote... :o:D

Bring it on.

They're at the bottom.

Not the top.

Not the middle.

The bottom.

I agree , even after paying for an international school that just lines the pocket of some greedy owner still leaves me thinking my kids are better off in a Western society where things like saftey and common sense are so much more present.

This is a difficult topic. The fact is that the educational system in Thai does not give too much guarantee and the safety aspects are also a concern. It would be for me if I would have kids in here.

I have a thai friend who is half american. His mother is Thai and his father american. He was educated and rised in America. He spent all his holidays in here so he speaks perfect thai, and English as a native. His character is a mix:self-confident, speak his mind, listen well and talk well. Not arrognat at all. He is such a nice guy. I think that in essence he is Thai.

He choose to come back to live to Thailand as he finds that life is better in here. Good job and many opportunities.

I think that his parents made a good decision, but it would be interesting to see what he will think when he has kids himself.

Edited by torito

Bring it on.

They're at the bottom.

Not the top.

Not the middle.

The bottom.

I'm assuming, that that comment was for me (the "sister" remark sort of gave it away!) Well, all I can say is, thank goodness you're not a product of the dreadful Thai education system. You might have quoted the wrong member's quote... :o:D

I'll pm you my address. I've got some Kool Aid for you to drink. That's right it was for you - your simplistic weaseling out from under what you wrote won't work. For one thing, he isn't your son - maybe adopted but not your son. And since you aren't Thai, you will never have a say - only what Papa wants you say.

Lie to yourself all you want, but the education system here is POOR.

I noticed you didn't address this - why?

All kidding aside, I really think you need to think about how the constant stream of negative comments, coming from you, concerning his mothers nationality and culture, will affect your son. It could cause problems in his relationship with you, his mother, his friends and his own self worth. I'm sure, as a MD trained in psychology you've given this some thought, but why not give it some more.

All kidding aside, I really think you need to think about how the constant stream of negative comments, coming from you, concerning his mothers nationality and culture, will affect your son. It could cause problems in his relationship with you, his mother, his friends and his own self worth. I'm sure, as a MD trained in psychology you've given this some thought, but why not give it some more.

His mother has told me that she is ashamed of Khun Thai - how they act, how they money grub and how most of her relatives are weasels. Her brother came by one day for 1000 baht - gas money to Bangkok - half brother actually -

He has two cars, a house, a kid and a wife - and he tried to get 1000b from me -

My wife has been heard to mutter as Khun Thai do stupid things around us - "<deleted>&$&$&$ing Idiots"

Nuff said.

Bring it on.

They're at the bottom.

Not the top.

Not the middle.

The bottom.

I'll pm you my address. I've got some Kool Aid for you to drink. That's right it was for you - your simplistic weaseling out from under what you wrote won't work. For one thing, he isn't your son - maybe adopted but not your son. And since you aren't Thai, you will never have a say - only what Papa wants you say.

Lie to yourself all you want, but the education system here is POOR.

I noticed you didn't address this - why?

His "Papa" as you call him died over a year ago, so, much as my son & I would like his input on things, I guess we're (son & I) both stuck with my "say", aren't we? And he is "my" son. Do you really think you can't feel parental love for a child you didn't biologically give birth to? If so, I truly pity you.

Kool Aid; isn't that some disgusting American invention, full of chemicals? No, thanks.

As for education, my son is doing very well with his school & me for extra tuition. He's a very clever little boy.

From your previous posts and these, I really think some other members may be right. It may really be the right time for you to move away from Thailand. Maybe then you can relax, to the benefit of you & your family. Good luck.

His mother has told me that she is ashamed of Khun Thai - how they act, how they money grub and how most of her relatives are weasels. Her brother came by one day for 1000 baht - gas money to Bangkok - half brother actually -

He has two cars, a house, a kid and a wife - and he tried to get 1000b from me -

My wife has been heard to mutter as Khun Thai do stupid things around us - "<deleted>&$&$&$ing Idiots"

Nuff said.

More the pity.

Clearly, you and your loved ones should be on the next plane out. Have the agents wire the money for the dissolution of your assets here, and get on with your lives in a more amenable locale.

Edited by lannarebirth

My wife says she is ashamed of Khun Thai. It causes her embarrassment to watch them shortchange Farangs and now her as she has changed her last name. When they see her name, they assume she is a Farang - and try to get more from her.

She told me that she never realized how devious her countrymen are until she married a Farang and watched her family and friends stick their grubby little hands out for a freebie.

It disgusts her.

It disgusts me.

She feels enlightened and realizes there is a world out there beyond Thailand.

She opened her eyes.

Is that bad?

His "Papa" as you call him died over a year ago, so, much as my son & I would like his input on things, I guess we're (son & I) both stuck with my "say", aren't we? And he is "my" son. Do you really think you can't feel parental love for a child you didn't biologically give birth to? If so, I truly pity you.

Kool Aid; isn't that some disgusting American invention, full of chemicals? No, thanks.

As for education, my son is doing very well with his school & me for extra tuition. He's a very clever little boy.

From your previous posts and these, I really think some other members may be right. It may really be the right time for you to move away from Thailand. Maybe then you can relax, to the benefit of you & your family. Good luck.

Look up Jim Jones and Kool Aid.

Does Thai law recognize "your" son as yours? Who makes decisions for him? I'm sorry to say it, but no Thai will accept you as his mother if you didn't actual birth him.

What's your legal status?

Does Thai law recognize "your" son as yours? Who makes decisions for him? I'm sorry to say it, but no Thai will accept you as his mother if you didn't actual birth him.

You don't know much about Thai people do you?

You don't know much about law ... do you?

You don't know much about law ... do you?

I wish i could click to delete.. Mate you are

You Click have no idea about Thai people and adoption. Neither about law and you have forgotten that this is not America..

Pople who decides to educate his children in here have their reasons. What you want is to impose your view at all cost.

I was fool enough to believe that you were serious about your post and I add my view, but this is not more than another of your excuses you use to dischard your bitternes, unjustified anger and vulgarity.

Edited by torito

It seems that the OP has one helluva chip on his shoulder about something, just took some time trying to understand why and after reading a lot of his posts, i still cant come to a conclusion, there is not one iota of humour or love mentioned, perhaps a little for your 2 month old son,

Of course we are all proud fathers and want to cocoon our kids, 28 years ago my daughter was born, at 17, she went to Kings Uni London, living in Newgate,London, {londoners here will tell you about Newgate} was i worried? to true i was worried, i called her every night and got the same reply, Dont worry dad!! later she passed her motorbike test and even though she has a year old son, she takes my Kawasaki 1100 out when she gets a chance, she rides the bike well and knows the cosequensus of an off, My son is just the same, he has his own big bike, and being young 25 has had plenty of offs, broke bones just like his old man!!

The point im making is that if you cocoon your son forever, he will go behind your back to do what his mates do, of course care for his education and be fair with him, agree and disagree, this will give you both a little leeway for an understanding life as a parent and child should have..

Click, if you want to reply to this post, please try to be more friendly and forthcoming, posters will appreciate you more for this, and perhaps the baiting will stop and you could make some new friends along the way, Thanks, Lickey.

Dunno about safety for kids in Thailand but here in the Uk there are so many things to protect kids they are all bloomin wimps!!! Instead of showing kids how to cross roads there's a blanket 20 mph speed limit outside schools cuz the idle buggers cant be bothered to look when they cross the road instead relying on the "compensation culture" usually these signs are followed by speed humps best taken at about 50mph I find!! Mow em down then reverse back to make sure :o !!!

Stop nannying them toooooooooooooooo much let them play in the dirt or they will end up being resistant to nothing if you molly coddle them too much. :D:D

It seems all kids here have some allergy are dylsixec (he he) or have learning disabilities (thick) spoilt brats most of em with "Mummy and Daddy" bailing them out even into their early forties when they get divorced. Then theres the £15000 or so for their "baby's" little wedding etc.

Rant over thanks XXX

My wife says she is ashamed of Khun Thai. It causes her embarrassment to watch them shortchange Farangs and now her as she has changed her last name. When they see her name, they assume she is a Farang - and try to get more from her.

She told me that she never realized how devious her countrymen are until she married a Farang and watched her family and friends stick their grubby little hands out for a freebie.

It disgusts her.

It disgusts me.

She feels enlightened and realizes there is a world out there beyond Thailand.

She opened her eyes.

Is that bad?

I don't get it. You say you are black. Then you say your wife married a farang. Is your wife your wife or some farang's. I am confused.

Anyway, you are either a troll or a shrink doing experiments here. Am I right? :o Or maybe you are just seriously sick?

Who makes decisions for him? I'm sorry to say it, but no Thai will accept you as his mother if you didn't actual birth him.

I make decisions for him. And as for no Thai accepting me as his mother, well, you might need to come & educate a few to your exacting standards, then. I have just enrolled him in a new school in my name as guardian. I take him to the doctor if he needs it; I haven't come across anything in our day-to-day life that I can't do as his mother. Every Thai I have come across in this town accepts that I'm his Mum. Obviously, you're right & that's because they (the Thais) are a product of poor education & unsafe practices :o . Or could it simply be that they're compassionate, and understand that he's got a happy, loving home, regardless of the nationality of his Mum? And they're all very impressed that he's fluent in English & Thai and very well-mannered.

Yes, you're right, there are many legal problems, should I ever want to take him out of Thailand. But that's my problem, not yours. It sounds like you have enough of your own to worry about; I certainly wouldn't want to burden you with mine.