B1 Visa Required

Hi again.

As I mentioned in my intro, I'm moving to Bangkok in approx 4 weeks, very excited!

I have been offered a permanent role with an ad agency.

I have been advised by my future employer that I must get a 'B1 visa' from the Thai consulate before coming over.

They are sending the official contract/offer of employment by DHL in the next few days.

I am 38 and a British citizen, but am currently working and living in Istanbul.

What documents will I need to get this B1 visa? Is this a final 'work permit' or will my company have to do some more paper work when I arrive?

I'm going to be back in London the week before flying to my new job in Bangkok. Is it better to sort the visa in London or can I get it from Istanbul bearing in mind I'm not a Turk?

The HR manager of my new company said call her if I have any problems in getting my visa at the Thai consulate, so at least I have that assistance if required.

However, I would like to be fully prepared and want to gather all the necessary documentation so there are no hicups due to me!

I have a British passport, original degree certificate, I'll have the offer letter/contract, birth cert, I'll obvioulsy get some passport size photos taken. Is there anything else I need?

One more thing: My fiance will come with me to live. She's a Turkish national. She will originally come over for two months after which time we will return to Turkey to get married. At that time will we be able to get her a 'family visa' immediately fron the Thai consulate in Istanbul so she can re-enter and stay in Bangkok permanently?

Any help from you experts would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

MG

Will invite those with business experience to answer but can get it started. Believe you should make application with Consulate there as soon as you receive the work papers. Hopefully this will be enough to issue a single entry non immigrant B visa but if not you will have time to get what is required. This is not a work permit and a whole lot of other paperwork will be involved once you get to Thailand (which the company may take care of). I suspect you may need airline tickets to obtain the visa but that varies from place to place.

There is no visa entry for life. The max visa entry is 90 days. Until such time as you qualify for a one year extension of stay that is the best you can do. For you the extension of stay will require the work permit and income for your nationality (50k range) plus all kinds of company paperwork. For her it will mean you having the extension of stay so she can tie to it. Not mountains but not an immediate permission to stay permanently. And everything will be tied to your employment.

Thanks for that Lopburi3.

Well that sounds quite easy then, just the offer of employment required to get the 90 day non-immigrant visa.

What exactly is a B1 Visa? Should I download the form from somewhere and turn up at the Thai consulate with it completed, or will they do it there?

Thanks again..

Edited by MG777

I hope this is not a dumb question...but what does single entry mean?

I have to leave Thailand and return twice within my first 90 days. So if single entry means I have to stay for the duration of the 90 days then I have a problem.

Any advice?

Alos, having looked at the requirements for a non-immigrant B category visa on several sites, they all say I need far more than the employers contract/offer of employment letter. And even contradictory by stating a work permit is required?? But also says the non-immigrant visa is required to get a work permit.

Thanks again for any advice.

Confused newbie to all this!!!

I hope this is not a dumb question...but what does single entry mean?

I have to leave Thailand and return twice within my first 90 days. So if single entry means I have to stay for the duration of the 90 days then I have a problem.

Single entry means that the stamp from the embassy allows you to enter once and you will be stamped in for 90 days.

Do not worry. If you need to travel you can obtain a re-entry permit once you arrive in Thailand.

This will allow you to exit and re-enter to continue the original 90 days.

Once you have your work permit and your entry stamp has been extended to one year you will still need a re-entry permit

if you wish to leave the country. I am sure the HR people will take care of this for you once you arrive.

That is what they are there for. :o

Thanks Astral.

I managed to get through to the Thai consulate in Istanbul eventually and found out that in order to get a Non-immigrant category B visa, all I need to take to the Thai consulate is my letter of employment, 2 passport photos and my passport.

Why does every source list a load of documents that are not necessary?

Why does every source list a load of documents that are not necessary?

Because ever Consulate has different rules on what is required. The Embassy/Consulates also are not consistent with the interpretations on what they require.

Some are liberal and some are very conservative on the paperwork.

www.sunbeltasiagroup.com