Airport Enforcing Onward Ticket Rule

It has been reported in another forum that all immigration booths at Bangkok airport have a pink paper saying 'present passport, lading form and onward ticket'

Anybody can confirm this ?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They've always had signs saying to present your passport and boarding pass for the flight you just disembarked. The sign might say to show onward ticket or not. Anyway, I've never been asked for my boarding pass despite the sign. As for onward ticket, you should have to show it if you come with no visa.

They've always had signs saying to present your passport and boarding pass for the flight you just disembarked. The sign might say to show onward ticket or not. Anyway, I've never been asked for my boarding pass despite the sign. As for onward ticket, you should have to show it if you come with no visa.

It is well known that immigration at airport have not enforced the requirement to show onward ticket.

This seems to be recent and new for them to do so.

It had been reported that this rule to be enforced only at Cambodia's land borders and this seems the first time we hear of them doing so at the airport.

I am looking for confirmation that this is the case

Edited by Krub

I came through the airport last Friday and noticed these signs about showing onward ticket written everywhere,I`ve never noticed them before anyway I asked the immigration officer and he told me it wasn`t needed.

One assumes at airports this is done on a selective basis as is common in other countries where ethnicity and passenger origin are the main deciding factors? They are more likely to check someone looking less well off than a visiting business type? At Aranypratet borders everyone is treated as third class?

It has been reported in another forum that all immigration booths at Bangkok airport have a pink paper saying 'present passport, lading form and onward ticket'

:o

I'm arriving on the 5th of June, and I expect to get stamped coming in without a visa (the 30 day stamp).

I'll see what they say about the "onward ticket"

It's true that in the past they almost never asked for the ticket.

Last October when I arrived was the first time I was asked for my used boarding pass (which I had on me)

Just to be clear however, it has always been a requirement on those arriving by air to have an onward ticket and has been stated so in the airline guide for requirements to enter Thailand for a number of years. Just because it has been the practice in the past for immigration not to require the onward ticket, does not mean they can not do so whenever they choose.

Word to to the wise, I would say.

A friend of mine was require to show his boarding pass a couple of weeks ago. He did not have it and was sent back to get a replacement. Took him a further hour to clear immigration. So best have your Boarding pass ready just in case.

I arrived about two weeks ago,although I have non O, I saw they asked nobody to show anything who were coming in with a 30 days stamp.I think the chance is small that they will ask you,cause first of all they will think you are a tourist,which you are I asume.But if you have many many stamps allready while arriving ,in your passport and coming with no visa,I think you will have a much bigger chance they will ask you something.

I came in with a lot of stamps in my passport(from my nonO multiple) and I must say not like before, that they do check it quickly how I stayed before,but with a new visa the officer seemed not too worried and just gave me the stamp.My next visa I will buy myself a new visa,I really noticed when you have a new passport with a visa inside of it ,it is'welcome to Thailand'.Rather then having too many stamps'how long time you stay' is not very inviting indeed..........

A friend of mine was yesterday initialy refused boarding from HKG to BKK via Gulf Air for having no outbound Ticket.

Took him 1/2 hour to get a E-Ticket organized.

Better be prepared that soon even the Airport start asking travellers to show Ticket.

Seems that we are not welcomed anymore.

Last year when flying from Glasgow to BKK(Emirates) I was told that I could not fly because I did not have an onward ticket. Had to quickly buy a ticket from BKK-SING. Got my money refunded from the Emirates office in Sukhumvit When I got here.

Laziness on my part really as I`m married and can get 1 year visa no probem. But I was only coming for 2 months and totally never gave a thought about this rule.

Also, when I got my 2nd stamp at Maesai I wasn`t asked to show an onward ticket or the 10,000Bt I had in my pocket.

Edited by chang35baht

It is well known that immigration at airport have not enforced the requirement to show onward ticket.

This seems to be recent and new for them to do so.

It had been reported that this rule to be enforced only at Cambodia's land borders and this seems the first time we hear of them doing so at the airport.

I am looking for confirmation that this is the case

If you don't have a visa, you may have to show it. I've heard of it happening from time to time. As far as I know, they shouldn't ask this if you have a visa.

2 weeks ago the airport immigration desks all had paper signs saying “Show passport, landing form and boarding pass”. This request for boarding pass is new.

The signs requesting boarding passes weren’t on the desks on my previous arrival at the end of April. The immigration officer asked to see my boarding pass. I didn’t see any signs requesting onward ticket.

I usually depart on a one way ticket and it’s the airlines that inspect my passport for a visa for my destination.

It's really the responsibility of the agent at the check-in counter when you board your flight. They're supposed to check your passport for the correct visa (or ask for an onward ticket if you don't have). If they don't (and you get deported at your destination country or turned away from immigration at your departure country, that particular agent could get into trouble.)

At least, that's what the airline regulation guidebook says.

It's really the responsibility of the agent at the check-in counter when you board your flight. They're supposed to check your passport for the correct visa (or ask for an onward ticket if you don't have). If they don't (and you get deported at your destination country or turned away from immigration at your departure country, that particular agent could get into trouble.)

At least, that's what the airline regulation guidebook says.

I frequently fly into Thailand (and other countries such as Singapore) without an onward (or return) ticket.

Only once from Australia has an airline asked for an onward ticket, and it has never been requested on arrival at any immigration checkpoint.

For the australian episode i explained i'd get one when in bangkok - the Aussie checkin person accepted seeing that i had a couple of hundred dollars cash and a credit card as proof of.... ?

Edited by coops

Hey,

I just came through the airport today, and much to my chagrin I saw the sign asking for the four things you need to show the immigration officer: passport, arrival/departure card, boarding pass and brand new- #4 onward ticket or e-booking. I was worried that I would be screwed by a new rule change just as I had in March. However, the officer did not ask for one. When I queried him about it, he said it wasn't necessary, and I think it was only something that might use if they didn't like you. I was a little tired and I was having a little trouble slipping back in to speaking thai so I was a little uncertain about exactly what he said. I was just glad to get in with no problem.

Even thought they didn't request the ticket this time, it seems clear that the writing is on the wall(or on the sign in this case). It seems like it will only be a matter of time before they enforce this rule at the airport as well.

By the way, Farma, the request for the boarding pass is not new. It has been on the sign for years. I believe since they captured Hambali in Thailand.

voa thanks, i've never noticed it before. Up until last month i've always been asked to show my boarding pass as I left the aircraft. This was the first time immigration asked to see my boarding pass.

I frequently fly into Thailand (and other countries such as Singapore) without an onward (or return) ticket.

Only once from Australia has an airline asked for an onward ticket

Are you flying to Thailand with or without a visa? This topic is about arrival in Thailand without a visa.

--

Maestro

I just came through the airport today, and much to my chagrin I saw the sign asking for...onward ticket or e-booking...the officer did not ask for one. When I queried him about it

If you arrived without a visa and without a ticket for onward travel I’d say you were quite brave to ask the Immigration officer about the posted rule.

--

Maestro

I just came through the airport today, and much to my chagrin I saw the sign asking for...onward ticket or e-booking...the officer did not ask for one. When I queried him about it

If you arrived without a visa and without a ticket for onward travel I’d say you were quite brave to ask the Immigration officer about the posted rule.

--

Maestro

Yes Maestro, that was my sich . However, I asked after he had already processed me and given me my 30 days.

By the way, Farma, the request for the boarding pass is not new. It has been on the sign for years. I believe since they captured Hambali in Thailand.

Agree partly; it HAS been enforced for some monthes I think about 2 yrs ago now at obviously Old Don Muang, and they DID mean it. Apparently at that time there were people on flites coming in like 23.00 and waiting till after midnight/new day to get a ''more favorable'' time to stay.

I just wonder how easy it must be to ''fake tickets'' now as, since 1/1/07 IATA=the main airline organisation has officially banned oldstyle papertickets: for all those low-costs I hardly botehr making a print; only scribble down date/flight/the ''secret code'' and thats it, and even AirAsia never asks for it- passport enough!

okay this is a bit of another question, but still on topic :o

I'm flying in to bkk on the 14th and I'm planning on staying for maybe 6 months. I've got a 2 months visa that u can extend with 2 months more.

My returnflight is booked in december.

But my question is this, when I arrive at the bkk airport can they deny me entry with the reason that my visa won't extend for as long until my returnflight departes in december?

Can I say i'm going to travel around in thailand for a while then get out and return when my returnflight is?

In that case do I have to show another ticket for when that's gonna be?

//Liya

Vermin and asinee I consider myself a regular visitor with 10 arrivals in the past year, 5 of those since the new airport opened. My arrivals into DM were just as frequent over more than the past few years.

Just to get things straight, at DM or Suwanaphum prior to my last 2 arrivals, at the end of April and mid-May, I have only ever been asked to show my boarding pass stub on the ramp as I left the aircraft. This appeared to be a way of sorting the transit passenger from actual arrivals as the flights I arrive on generally continue on to another destination.

The immigration desk asking to see the boarding pass stub of the flight I have just disembarked is a recent change in my experience.

Departure is a different matter, I’ve always been required to show my boarding pass along with my passport when clearing immigration.

Back to the OP’s question, from other responses it looks like the return ticket requirement has been implemented in the past 2 weeks.

There is no two month visa to Thailand that can be extended for another two months so you need to find out what kind of visa you really have. It is not likely to be checked but if they question the departure date you should be prepared to explain.

There is no two month visa to Thailand that can be extended for another two months so you need to find out what kind of visa you really have. It is not likely to be checked but if they question the departure date you should be prepared to explain.

this is what I have: (from http://www.thaiembassy.se/consular/visa.php#tourist)

B. Double Entry Tourist Visa

Application fee : SEK 400 per person and will be issued for 2 entries ( 60+60 days ) of tourist visa which must be used within 180 days from the issuing date. Each entry is valid 60 days from the date of entry.

Upon arrival in Thailand "The Actual Length of Stay" starting from the date of Entry shall be determined and granted at the discretion of Immigration Officers according to the type and category of visa in possession.

The extension of further 30 days may be granted by Immigration Bureau, Thailand. The application fee is 1900 baht.

Pls. write DOUBLE ENTRY when you mark for "Tourist Visa" on the application form and send in the form approximately 3 weeks in advance.

Applicant is not permitted to engage in any occupation or employment.

OK. You have a two (double) entry tourist visa and for SE that will allow you a 60 day stay on entry - you can then extend that for another 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht (do a few days before your 60 day stay expires). You can then exit the country and return and do the same process again - so it should cover your six months (or more depending on how long you stay out of Thailand between the two visa entries. You should not have any questions on your ticket - but be sure to keep your boarding pass as that is often asked for by immigration.

OK. You have a two (double) entry tourist visa and for SE that will allow you a 60 day stay on entry - you can then extend that for another 30 days at an immigration office for 1,900 baht (do a few days before your 60 day stay expires). You can then exit the country and return and do the same process again - so it should cover your six months (or more depending on how long you stay out of Thailand between the two visa entries. You should not have any questions on your ticket - but be sure to keep your boarding pass as that is often asked for by immigration.

Ok. Thx for the answer m8. :o

Edited by Liyachan

regarding the requirement to show boarding pass on arrival:

I think this has nothing to do with visa matters, the IMM officers only want to verify the point of origin against what has been stated in the arrival card.

If you have an exit stamp in your PP from the place of embarkation then no boarding pass is needed.

Last October I flew from BKK to Frankfurt and back with Emirates via Dubai. I have a Non-O annual extension with re-entry permit. As a German my PP is not stamped out when leaving Germany. On arrival in BKK I was asked for my boarding pass (I stated as last place of embarkation in the arrival card as Frankfurt), gave the officer the Dubai - BKK boarding pass but he wanted to see the Frankfurt - Dubai boarding pass as well. Had it ready and all was OK.

opalhort

Just to confirm what one member has already mentioned. All the Immigration entry booths have a new Yellow A4 sheet posted prominently stating the following requirements for entry:

1. Passport

2. Arrival/Departure card

3. Boarding pass

4. Return ticket/e-ticket

I would hazard a guess and say that requirement 4 only pertains to entries without visa. Both my Filipino companion and I had tourist visas and were not asked to show return tickets. We entered on June 1.

Edited by tropo

Just to confirm what one member has already mentioned. All the Immigration entry booths have a new Yellow A4 sheet posted prominently stating the following requirements for entry:

1. Passport

2. Arrival/Departure card

3. Boarding pass

4. Return ticket/e-ticket

I would hazard a guess and say that requirement 4 only pertains to entries without visa. Both my Filipino companion and I had tourist visas and were not asked to show return tickets. We entered on June 1.

I am confirming it too, I arrived 2 days ago.

I have 1 year "O" visa and was not asked for show any ticket and boarding pass.

I noticed that the previous guy without visa showed his return ticket to the officer before get stamp.