Thai Driving Licence

Tayida

Your first license in Thailand is a probationary license of two (2) years duration.  There are separate licenses in Thailand for motorcycles and cars.  Motorcycle driver's license costs 105 baht, car driver's license costs 205 baht.

You can use your valid home country driver's license to skip the driving test and written test if it is in English or you have an additional International Driver's Permit.  You would still need to do the physical tests (reaction time, color recognition).  Believe you will need a medical certificate stating you are not subject to five conditions (costs about 100-150 baht from a local clinic) and will have to prove your address by getting a Residence Certificate from immigration (free or nominal fee, say 300 baht) or you can often use your yellow house registration book.

• Like 2

skatewash has covered this subject perfectly. Be prepared for a two step DLT Visit process.

TDL Application Acceptance then Appointment for Testing & TDL Issue.

for interest, with a yellow house book, you should always then get your thai national ID (Pink Card) which number will be printed on your TDL instead of passport no.

3 minutes ago, WhiteBuffaloATM said:

skatewash has covered this subject perfectly. Be prepared for a two step DLT Visit process.

TDL Application Acceptance then Appointment for Testing & TDL Issue.

for interest, with a yellow house book, you should always then get your thai national ID (Pink Card) which number will be printed on your TDL instead of passport no.

Your Thai National ID number should be exactly the same for both the yellow book and the pink ID card and there is an advantage to using it instead of your passport number for your driver's license(s).  Passport numbers change, but your Thai National ID number never changes once issued to you.  

• Like 1

There's another weird thing about renewing driver's licenses that you don't need to know when you get it the first time but is useful for subsequent renewals.  Your first driver's license will be valid from the day you get it and will expire in 2 years time.  If you let your probationary license expire by even one day you will be given 5 plus years of validity on your license.  The plus is basically rounded up to your birthday.  If you renew your driver's license before it expires you will just get the 5 years you are nominally entitled to.  If you let your first 5-year license expire by even one day you will get nearly 6 years validity on your new license (instead of the 5 years you are nominally entitled to).  I'm on my second 5-year license and it has worked that way for me and I have heard for others as well.

• Like 1

In my case, my next birthday became the start date for the new five year period.

Exchanged my second two year “ passport” TDL ( twice obtained as Visa Exempt !) on 13 March 2021

for a “national ID” TDL expiring 3 June 2026 . If I had known this, I could have waited until 4 June 2021 to get TDL expiring 3 June 2027. BUT I wanted immediate new TDL same day as my Pink Card Issue !