Pattaya hit by heavy overnight storms, suffers widespread flooding and damage

webfact

tpn.jpg

By Goong Nang(GN)

Pattaya – Heavy rain in Pattaya and Banglamung area at night yesterday caused localized flooding on many Pattaya and Banglamung roads. Residents spent most of the daytime hours of Wednesday cleaning up, however, more storms are expected over this upcoming weekend.

Several days of torrential rain and the potential of flash flooding are forecast to take place according to the Thai Meteorological Department (TMD).

A heavy storm that hit Pattaya overnight yesterday, September 8th, caused localized flooding on many Pattaya and Banglamung roads.

The heavy downpour lasted for many hours. Significantly deep water was found on road surfaces about 30 to 70 centimeters high.

Full story: https://thepattayanews.com/2021/09/09/pattaya-hit-by-heavy-overnight-storms-suffers-widespread-flooding-and-damage/

PattayaNews.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, TooBigToFit said:

Maybe they should design a canal that runs through pattaya drawing the water into and out into the sea. It could also be a place for Pattaya residents to harbour some personal boats and a place to get on ferries going out to Koh Lan or Hua Hin. It would be a massive project but there are probably a few generals interested in it.

It could end up being something like this one in San Antonio, Texas but hopefully a bit clearer water/

https://s31606.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Cruising-the-Riverwalk-Bob-Howen-VisitSanAntonio.jpg

It could be done. Actually, it could also have a bike and walking path for health which could run from Sukumvit or further inland to the sea. It'd be a great way for residents and hotel guests to take a bike ride or share-bike ride from their homes to the sea avoiding all the traffic.

Somebody said on a thread yesterday that these floods draw the contents of septic tanks out into the floodwater.

So, although you have a nice idea, probably not good in practice.

Although Mersey Trout fishing could become popular.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

With the vast amount of money spent on flood mitigation over the last few years this should not be a regular event. Poor planning and engineering and many brown envelopes are the reason Pattaya has to put up with this disgrace for city planning. Many countries and cities all over the word manage floods but then again the money goes to getting the best job done.

I'm not so certain other countries manage floods any better. Or there would not be so many news reports of floods. There would be no floods....

<deleted> happens in tropical countries, it will rain during the rainy season. Those houses built on original flood plains will flood, unless raised in the original Thai style. Concrete and asphalt will not allow water to drain, leading to flooding of roads and buildings.

Pattaya is probably only a few tens of feet above mean sea level, making a canal a difficult option.

I suggest that a watch for sink holes is maintained. They seem to be common risk in high flood risk areas. And open access holes where water pressure in the underground drains have pushed off the covers.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Actually, it could also have a bike and walking path for health which could run from Sukumvit or further inland to the sea. It'd be a great way for residents and hotel guests to take a bike ride or share-bike ride from their homes to the sea avoiding all the traffic.

At the rate the beach and shoreline is being reported as washed away, I rather expect that the sea will be up to Sukhumvit road by the next rainy season!

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Darksidedude said:

for sure, so many unterminated wires everywhere and non existent earthing.

Myself being an Electrician it is horrifying.

The work i see them do is like i got to turn my head and not watch, i mean who in there right mind would work live as most do 

We had a guy install some lighting around our property about a year ago. Really nice guy and did a good job which given some of the other work I've had done pleasantly surprised me.

A couple of months later my girlfriend told me he'd been electrocuted while working up a ladder and had fallen several metres to the ground, landing on his head. He was in a coma for a week before they switched the machine off. Had a young wife and child as well. Incredibly sad. The risks they take are insane and I'd imagine these type of deaths are pretty common.

• Sad 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Maybe they should design a canal that runs through pattaya drawing the water into and out into the sea. It could also be a place for Pattaya residents to harbour some personal boats and a place to get on ferries going out to Koh Lan or Hua Hin. It would be a massive project but there are probably a few generals interested in it.

It could end up being something like this one in San Antonio, Texas but hopefully a bit clearer water/

https://s31606.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Cruising-the-Riverwalk-Bob-Howen-VisitSanAntonio.jpg

It could be done. Actually, it could also have a bike and walking path for health which could run from Sukumvit or further inland to the sea. It'd be a great way for residents and hotel guests to take a bike ride or share-bike ride from their homes to the sea avoiding all the traffic.

Been there. It's great, and a very popular haunt for evening drinking and dining. LA has a network of canals too, but that's a residential area.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Pattaya Spotter said:

Pretty stupid to have an underground garage in the tropics...and even more stupid to keep your car parked there during a torrential rainstorm.

I get the feeling that you are a black or white kind of guy?  Must be liberating to live with such a simplistic mentality, to take all the thought out of everyday living.  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paul Henry said:

With the vast amount of money spent on flood mitigation over the last few years this should not be a regular event. Poor planning and engineering and many brown envelopes are the reason Pattaya has to put up with this disgrace for city planning. Many countries and cities all over the word manage floods but then again the money goes to getting the best job done.

the problem begins from the start, when big hotels went up in the 80s there was no planning whatsoever

14 hours ago, TimBKK said:

I get the feeling that you are a black or white kind of guy?  Must be liberating to live with such a simplistic mentality, to take all the thought out of everyday living.  

More just a common sense kind of guy..."I've parked my car in an underground garage, which is open to the elements in a place which often floods during heavy rains...maybe I should move it to higher ground during hours of torrential tropical downpours." ????

Edited by Pattaya Spotter
  • Like 2

On 9/9/2021 at 2:42 AM, Scott Tracy said:

I'm not so certain other countries manage floods any better. Or there would not be so many news reports of floods. There would be no floods....

I think the difference is elsewhere they tend to be flash floods in random places.

Pattaya floods every year in the same places without fail, but nothing ever seems to be done about it.

• Like 1

On 9/9/2021 at 5:33 AM, TooBigToFit said:

Sounds idealistic.  But I doubt in our lifetimes we'd ever see anything like this eventuate here. More of an advanced developed Western country theme with a fully competent administration. 

And I can only imagine the man-made canals ending up as convenient garbage tips, turning into a filthy black cesspool complete with the occasional dead body floating by, millions of plastic bags and other things.