Best Waterfall

cocho

Can someone tell me where the best waterfall is? (in the Chiang Mai area :o )

And please let me know if you can swim in the waterfall or not..

The ones with no dual pricing. Huay Kaew waterfall is free, it's the first one on your left just passed the zoo. Swimming is permitted. Also the next one up the hill on your left is free also, can't remember the name.

All of them you get in cheap when you just show something that makes it look like you're here a long time. I actually prefer the paid venues, as there's a lot less riff-raff compared to the completely free sites such as Huay Kaew and those two further up teh mountain before you get to Montrathan.

Anyway, best.............................

I'd say the twin waterfall called Mok Fa is nice. (Not far after turning left on to the road towards Pai / Mae Hong Son, North of town) Not good for swimming though. In fact, best for natural swimming is probably not even strictly a waterfall at all: Swimming is best at Ob Khan Gorge, though not after heavy rain (too much water & mud) and not in the winter months (too cold. :o

But there's loads and loads.. Often a main attraction can be that it's secluded and you have the place to yourself, which can make it a better experience compared to objectively more elaborate waterfalls like Ma Sa that however always have 10 tour buses parked in front of it.

All of them you get in cheap when you just show something that makes it look like you're here a long time. I actually prefer the paid venues, as there's a lot less riff-raff compared to the completely free sites such as Huay Kaew and those two further up teh mountain before you get to Montrathan.

I remember back in the early to mid 90's some Australian jerk (not me) went to the Huay Kaew waterfall with a group of people including staff from John's Place. The idiot decided to start his own Dwarf throwing contest and managed to kill one of the doormen from JP by throwing him over the waterfall.

You're quite right about the riff-raff CC.

Down south near Hat Yai is the Tong Ngaa Chang (Elephant Tusk) falls. In my opinion these are the best that I have seen anywhere in Thailand.

Edited by Blinky Bill

I remember back in the early to mid 90's some Australian jerk (not me) went to the Huay Kaew waterfall with a group of people including staff from John's Place. The idiot decided to start his own Dwarf throwing contest and managed to kill one of the doormen from JP by throwing him over the waterfall.

Yeah, I remember that and attended the funeral. Sorry situation.

This one is on my land out in Ban Mae Ann, near the Prem school. It's a little slow this week due to all the water being diverted to the ricefields, but you're welcome to go play in it next week.

Ban%20Mae%20Ann%20Waterfall.jpg

edit: Well anyway, I guess I don't know how to post a picture from "My Pictures" or "Yahoo Phots".

post-25601-1180530337_thumb.jpg

Edited by lannarebirth

Sure you can, if you can tell me how to post a photo that in the "My Pictures" section of my hard drive.

Just click on the "Browse" button at the bottom of the reply window, then hit Upload. When upload completes, click "Manage current Attachments" and select the upload using the green insert.

Sure you can, if you can tell me how to post a photo that in the "My Pictures" section of my hard drive.

Just click on the "Browse" button at the bottom of the reply window, then hit Upload. When upload completes, click "Manage current Attachments" and select the upload using the green insert.

Hey, it worked! Thanks very much Tywais. No stopping me now, I'll be a picture posting fool. :o

Hey, it worked! Thanks very much Tywais. No stopping me now, I'll be a picture posting fool. :o

Glad to help. Looks like a very nice site. How is it in the rainy season?

I think that is the rainy season. It's like in the picture about 5 months per year, then a little stronger in September and the by May it's much slower, but still nice. This week, as they do every year, they have diverted water from the stream to the fields, so it's just dribbling..

Down south near Hat Yai is the Tong Ngaa Chang (Elephant Tusk) falls. In my opinion these are the best that I have seen anywhere in Thailand.

Seconded. Very impressive and the views from the falls are amazing.

You could always take the Mrs to the waterfall restaurant halfway up Mae Sa Valley... I forget the name but it's just before the Queen's Gardens.