Tipping In Restaurants In Thailand

Tammi

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thai friends do not tip in restaurants and will not allow me to tip. What do you think? Do Thai waiters think farangs are crazy to leave 10% tips?
I tip everywhere, mimum 10baht ( noodle stall ) maximum 50 baht ( sizzlers etc ) but only if the service /food was good, ( which it usually is ) :o

My opinions only:

I agree it depends on the place. There are so many grey areas though.

Of course nobody tips at street stalls. At a modest decent aircon sit-down restaurant, a modest tip, up to you, 20 baht is probably adequate for one or two people, or if you are feeling like it, 10 percent of the tab. I really think most Thais would certainly not be leaving even 10 percent at this kind of place. I also don't think the wacky US 20 percent custom is happening in Thailand at all (and good for that really). I would always leave some kind of tip at such a place unless the service was shockingly bad (not that uncommon); is it really OK to not do so?

The real grey areas for me are the high end and low end. For places that already charge plus plus, I don't feel like tipping anything more, there is already a 10 percent service charge. Of course, most of time I do tip a bit more because I feel it is expected, but not so happy about it.

At casual places one step up from street stalls, you know the places with 40 baht fried rice and flies, sometimes I tip and sometimes I don't. Its often more a matter of a keep the change the thing if there happens to be change due.

Am I a bad person? (Just kidding, don't answer that ...)

I hate these places that charge "sevice charge ' ,its <deleted>,!, next time just say ,no i dont want the service charge ill collect it and cook it myself !, i see it only as a way of stealing tip money off the staff and in the past i have slipped the waiter/waitress a tip and told them to pocket it quick,. .its like that stupid " on the road " charge when you buy a car, number plates and all that .how the hel_l are you going to buy a car with no plates and the battery disconnected ? .. :o

How much do you tip for a guy to massage your shoulders while you have a piss and then turn the tap on for you ?

No tip. Just turn. Fast.

Preferably whilst still having a piss so it goes down his trousers.

Any further comment would be superfluous ...

(Trink)

How much do you tip for a guy to massage your shoulders while you have a piss and then turn the tap on for you ?

No tip. Just turn. Fast.

Preferably whilst still having a piss so it goes down his trousers.

Any further comment would be superfluous ...

(Trink)

Pull out a ten baht coin, take one of the massage guys hands & put the coin in to his hand with the other.

All before you've had a chance to wash your hands!!!

Soundman.

I learnt that in some places if you leave a tip it goes in the owners or managers pocket rather than divided up amongst staff...

So now I leave a small one with the bill...and give 10% or more directly to who served me...

RAZZ

Edited by RAZZELL

Thai friends do not tip in restaurants and will not allow me to tip. What do you think? Do Thai waiters think farangs are crazy to leave 10% tips?

Percentage tipping in any restaurant is ridiculous. Why should a tip be higher if the customer orders more expensive food. The work done by the waiter is exactly the same if the customer orders a 50 baht fried rice or a 500 baht steak. I hope this stupid system (percentage tipping) never takes off here in Asia.

If a restaurant charges a service charge I don't leave 1 baht.

Percentage tipping in any restaurant is ridiculous. Why should a tip be higher if the customer orders more expensive food. The work done by the waiter is exactly the same if the customer orders a 50 baht fried rice or a 500 baht steak. I hope this stupid system (percentage tipping) never takes off here in Asia.

If a restaurant charges a service charge I don't leave 1 baht.

Whats the biggest tip anyone has left ?

It depends on what type of restaurants/shops. If you eat in a small noodle shop, generally you don't have to tip. If you eat in a pricier place generally you have to tip, good rule is to look at people that eat there whether they tip.

Then there are hotel restaurants which automatically add on 10 % to your bill whether the service warrant for it or not :o

Just a large point where is it written down in stone that you "HAVE" to tip ahywhere for anything,or maybe I missed the proclamation! All of us are not Yanks! :D :D :D

It doesn't matter if you are a Yank or not a Yank. Here in Thailand it depends on what is reasonable and decent here in Thailand. The more relevant question is whether there are different tipping expectations for Thais versus all farangs. I find that unreasonable. I personally think we should mirror what is typical for Thais to do.

Edited by Jingthing

I have asked countless Thais about tipping and they seem to range from nil to about 5% absolute max. It certainly isn't a long established Thai practice and if you get out of Pattaya ever, it hardly happens at all. Some Thais don't tip ever, others like to depending on service quality and in Pattaya the American habit of tipping is readily accepted by all who come to work there.

I went for a meal with 15 Thais the other night at the end of the meal the bill was 12000 baht....tip 100 baht. BTW I've just asked the Thai lady sitting opposite me what SHE would have given.....her first answer was "depends on restaurant" then when given the figures again she said "100 baht".

If you want to tip a particular person, you must put the money into their hand....anything in the folder goes into the staff kitty...well, it's supposed to!

Edited by wilko

Whats the biggest tip anyone has left ?

What's the biggest tip you've left?

Let me clarify... "biggest", in comparison to what the amount of the charge was...

I needed a motorbike to get back to my abode, on New Year's "night", about 1 o'clock in the morning. As is customary, I asked the guy how much it would be, (i know that normally, it should be 60 to 80 baht)... He said 70 baht. I said "OK, we go"... Upon arrival, I gave him an extra 100 baht for these reasons:

1. he didn't try to cheat me in the first place

2. his price was fair and reasonable

3. he had a rack in front, which I require, (some don't bother having that rack!)

4. the motorbike appeared to be in good order, and a strong motor, to get there timely

5. it was someone I had used several times in the past, and I like to give the same people I know repeat business

6. his passenger helmet was clean, and in working order (often they aren't).

7. he was not overly rotund, leaving me little room for the back of his seat, as can be the case.

8. he smiled when he first saw me, which as cold and heartles and ruthless as we all are, (though some of you can't admit it!), was a nice gesture...

9. I don't think being a motorbike driver is the greatest job in the world, and he should get something like "hazard pay" for doing it...

10. there's got to be a few more reasons, but I can't think of them at the moment...

and most importantly, it was a holiday evening, and he didn't try to "gouge" me... and I felt it would be a nice gesture. and I'm not Rockefeller, as many of you apparently are, but I could afford to give the guy 100 baht without changing my "lifestyle".

So, I gave the guy 170 baht, and he was pretty happy. And every time he sees me, he still says it's only 70 baht... and I almost always give him 100 baht.

Look, I'm no Mother Teresa... but I know when I'm in Ameri-gay, and I go to some crappy coffee shop, I leave about a $5 tip, usually that's still about 15%, which is what's standard... so I'm throwing around $5 tips all day long, to sometimes lazy, overpaid, RUDE, uninterested serving personnel... So a motor taxi dude, that actually risks their LIFE for me, and provides a valuable service to me, whose U.S. equal of a taxicab driver, would probably get a $25 fare, plus required $4 tip... well, the extra 100 baht just doesn't seem that unreasonable.

And if I had to sit around, New Year's eve, waiting to shuttle foreign DRUNKS around town, who usually don't give ANY tip, I would be most appreciative if once in a while, someone actually appreciated their valuable service.

And these motorbike taxi dudes are really clever about fitting packages, bags, even suitcases on a small bike... they always figure out a safe way to transport you and your items... I salute you, Motortaxi dudes. Really, I do.

I find the motor bike taxi dudes much more honorable than the baht bus RACKET drivers, who demand 200 baht, to take someone five minutes, when a comfortable air conditioned Bangkok-style taxi would get maybe 45 baht for the same thing.

By the way, I have nothing against rotund people, but if you're a motor taxi driver, you might want to consider the safety and comfort of your passengers. And there's one thing I hate: if you get a driver with LONG hair, usually, but not always, a female driver, sometimes that long hair doesn't get tucked inside their helmet, and the driver doesn't realize it, but the long hair can SLAP, and sometimes slap HARD, the paying passenger sitting behind them. I hate that... getting whipped by greasy black hair, often with split-ends. I hate that!!

Hmmm, biggest tip I've ever left ? Hard to remember, but I think the birthday party I had in April was probably the biggest (for total tips).

In addition to the money laid out for the party (including the money I put on the bar, the snacks and the bar-fines for the two service staff I arranged to serve the gang), I think I tipped the 2 service girls 500 baht each, and put about 1,700 baht directly into the staff "tip" can.

That would make about 2,700 baht in tips that night, which, when I think about it, represented about 10% of my total bill for the night. :o

(note that that party only ranks around #4 on the all-time list) :D

In restaurants, (not the on the sidewalk kind), I usually leave 20 baht--sometimes 10 baht if I was eating alone. I stay in the 10% area.

If I go to a pub/restaurant and spend most of the evening I usually give the waiter or waitress at our table 100 B, but that's 'cause I'm kind of demanding and obnoxious when I get drunk. I don't want a bevy of staff around, just 1 and that person can do their job. I don't want them constantly filling my glass, I can do that just fine thank you. I don't want them putting ice in my glass--I can do that and if they must, I only want 1 ice cube. So, at the end of the evening, they deserve a reward.

I might add that I am never offensive or nasty too them. I just like things the way I like things and generally all they have to do is make sure there is ice and beer etc.

well if i go to a noodle stall or a food stall at the side of the soi, i will give a 10 baht tip. if i go into a restaurent or club, i will give a 20 baht tip. having said that, in a club, i only tip one time, i am not gonna keep giving 20 baht every time i need mixers. i made friends with a guy from the USA and he taught me,, if the waiter or waitress brings yours change back on a silver plate, and leaves it with you, then that is nice, leave a tip. but sometimes, they are cheeky enough to stand there and wait, trying to look inot your wallet,, in that case, sometimes i dont leave anything. if the service was poor, and the waiter/waitress is not very happy, i also will not leave anything. i think you have to use your own discression on this one. i also will not leave a tip, if they bring your change back, in a manner that you only have an option to leave 20 baht, i think its cheeky.

The final word on tipping waiters in Thailand?

Bottom line: we ain't in Kansas, New York City, or London anymore. Tip like a Thai and be happy. After all, TIT.

Thailand: Normally, tipping is not a must, but in some cases it can provide incentive for staff to take good care of you on your next visit. Tips of B10-20 for bellboys and waiters are standard practice.

http://www.aziacity.com/bk/magazine/feature/at_your_service

Edited by Jingthing

I wouldn't leave a 20 percent tip, but maybe a 20 or 30 baht tip is alright. Tell you friends to get some manners and help out people on really low wages!
Agreed, what the heck is 30 baht? its next to nothing. i leave 20-40baht, great food, good manners & a great service, I think they certainly deserve a tip. Edited by andysuitls

I think people can't get over their ingrained conditioning about tipping. Tipping is a culturally based thing. Why tip the waiter. Why not the cook, for Christ's sake? I go for the food. If the food is really good, why don't we tip the cook? Or even the owner for hiring the cook? Where does it end? Aren't waiters employees of the restaurant? Shouldn't they be paid by the owner?

I think people can't get over their ingrained conditioning about tipping. Tipping is a culturally based thing. Why tip the waiter. Why not the cook, for Christ's sake? I go for the food. If the food is really good, why don't we tip the cook? Or even the owner for hiring the cook? Where does it end? Aren't waiters employees of the restaurant? Shouldn't they be paid by the owner?

in MOST restaurants in Thailand you are tipping the cook, the busboy etc .... hopefully NOT the owner though!

Take for example tonight's dinner ... went to a sushi place where there was a 10% service charge in the bill of 705 baht. Did I tip? yes! I paid by creditcard and when handing the receipt back put 20 on top of the folder. <in theory that should go directly to our server and not into the pot for all the staff>

The nicer the restaurant <in many places> the lower the wages of the server and higher for the cook ... in those places the waiters get the tips. <Far more common in the USA than here>

I am not a communist. Skilled chefs deserve more pay than food schleppers. I believe that in the USA and I believe it in Thailand. If a waiter isn't happy with that, learn to be a skilled chef. In the USA, I tip the customary 15 to 20 percent because it is culturally required there, not because I really want to. If you don't tip like that there, you simply cannot return to your favorite restaurant. They will literally put snot in your food, or worse.

I think the waiters should be paid by the owner decently. Its not my problem they aren't paid enough. In Thailand, I am sure waiters aren't paid well either. Am I heartless? Perhaps. I am not rich and I can't give away what wealth I have to every under-motivated, low skill worker I encounter in life. I believe here in Thailand we should tip like the Thais do. I do think sometimes that is hard to understand, but the info is available if you look for it. I also think that if we tip like Americans in Thailand, we are corrupting the culture here. The culture in Thailand should be dictated by Thais. I am not saying Thai culture is superior or inferior as a culture. It is what it is.

Edited by Jingthing

I am not argueing with you on that .... but would you rather have some control on the cost of your meal in the USA <and here> or not? Increase labor costs means increased menu costs! At least in the US if the meal sucks you just walk <assuming you don't eat it!> and if the food is good but the service sucks you stiff the waiter. You have the control!

Sadly here in Thailand at most places .. if the food is barely edible and the service is bad ... Thais still pay1 but don't tip ! ... upscale restaurants are the exception to this! <as well they should be !

I am not argueing with you on that .... but would you rather have some control on the cost of your meal in the USA <and here> or not? Increase labor costs means increased menu costs! At least in the US if the meal sucks you just walk <assuming you don't eat it!> and if the food is good but the service sucks you stiff the waiter. You have the control!

Sadly here in Thailand at most places .. if the food is barely edible and the service is bad ... Thais still pay1 but don't tip ! ... upscale restaurants are the exception to this! <as well they should be !

What is wrong with that?Nothing sad there.The problem is, is that all you yanks think tipping is the norm.Where I come from it is not,although I normally tip here.The wife will only tip if the food and the service is very good...and there is no bs service charge.Upscale restaurants don't deserve a tip,just because they are upscale. :o

What is wrong with that?Nothing sad there.The problem is, is that all you yanks think tipping is the norm.Where I come from it is not,although I normally tip here.The wife will only tip if the food and the service is very good...and there is no bs service charge.Upscale restaurants don't deserve a tip,just because they are upscale. :o

you missed the point .... food barely edible and bad service and I'd not eat it and walk the bill in the US.

at an upscale place here if the food and service are both bad ... you can walk ....

j

I was wondering how much people tip the taxis between BKK and Pattaya.

For example, I got a taxi from Suvarnabhumi Airport last week for 1,400 including tolls and tipped the driver 100 baht. Is this too high?

6. his passenger helmet was clean, and in working order (often they aren't).

quote]

Weho, I know you're really concerned about hygiene. How do you go putting on a helmet that has been used by hundreds of other passengers? Have you ever caught head lice?

Personally I don't use motorcycle taxis, but if I did probably prefer to take my own helmet.

Edited by tropo

I was wondering how much people tip the taxis between BKK and Pattaya.

For example, I got a taxi from Suvarnabhumi Airport last week for 1,400 including tolls and tipped the driver 100 baht. Is this too high?

For me, it depended on a couple of things. How well the car was kept (i.e. clean exterior/interior, no bad odours), how the driver drove, how helpful he was (i.e. stopping on the way so I could get to a toilet, loading/unloading luggage).

I think the most I tipped was about 500 once, most of the rest were 2-300 baht.