Better to enter Phuket Sandbox via work permit or marriage visa?

My question relates to insurance issues. If I enter on a work permit will a 15 day approved covid insurance plan suffice? Is that the same for entry on a marriage visa? Either way, I'll obviously be in Thailand for a much longer period than that. I'm afraid that if I enter on a marriage visa it's more likely that the govt will demand a much longer period of coverage. That's what I read elsewhere but I'm not sure that's a sound take on the matter.

Having a work permit would make no difference as far as the required amount of time the covid 19 insurance would have to valid for.

The covid 19 insurance must be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country.

If entering with non immigrant visa  (one year if a OA visa) it would have to be valid for 90 days.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Having a work permit would make no difference as far as the required amount of time the covid 19 insurance would have to valid for.

The covid 19 insurance must be valid for the length of stay you get when entering the country.

If entering with non immigrant visa  (one year if a OA visa) it would have to be valid for 90 days.

So I have a non O visa.  Effectively, I live in Thailand.  Therefore  have to get 90 days of coverage? And 90 days will be enough?

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So I have a non O visa.  Effectively, I live in Thailand.  Therefore  have to get 90 days of coverage? And 90 days will be enough?

If you have a non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate it would have to be valid for 90 days since it would allow a 90 day permit to stay.

If actually on a one year extension of stay based upon marriage it would have to be valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

• Like 2

If you have a non-o visa issued by a embassy or consulate it would have to be valid for 90 days since it would allow a 90 day permit to stay.

If actually on a one year extension of stay based upon marriage it would have to be valid to the day your re-entry permit expires.

It's a one year extension and it expires on the same day as my re-entry permit. So is 90 day coverage necessary? I'm sorry for being so careful (obtuse?) about this but a fair amount of money is riding on the answer.

5 minutes ago, placeholder said:

It's a one year extension and it expires on the same day as my re-entry permit. So is 90 day coverage necessary? I'm sorry for being so careful (obtuse?) about this but a fair amount of money is riding on the answer.

For example if you enter the country using a re-entry permit that expires 30 days from the day you enter the country the covid 19  insurance would need to be valid for 30 days. If 6 months it would be 6 months.

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

For example if you enter the country using a re-entry permit that expires 30 days from the day you enter the country the covid 19  insurance would need to be valid for 30 days. If 6 months it would be 6 months.

So since mine expires on Jun 29 of 2022, that means 10 months? Which effectively  is 12 months. And once that insurance expires, would I have to renew it again. Or would standard Thai health insurance be enough?

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

So since mine expires on Jun 29 of 2022, that means 10 months? Which effectively  is 12 months. And once that insurance expires, would I have to renew it again. Or would standard Thai health insurance be enough?

You do not need to renew it. the COVID insurance is required only for entry.

Unless your original visa for O-A (rather than plain O) there is no insurance requirement of any type for extension.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sheryl said:

You do not need to renew it. the COVID insurance is required only for entry.

Unless your original visa for O-A (rather than plain O) there is no insurance requirement of any type for extension.

I think it's just an O. It's a marriage visa. What about my wife? She's a Thai citizen returning with me from abroad.? For how long a term does she have to sign up for?

10 minutes ago, placeholder said:

I think it's just an O. It's a marriage visa. What about my wife? She's a Thai citizen returning with me from abroad.? For how long a term does she have to sign up for?

Your non-o visa expired long ago. You have been extending the 90 day permit to stay it allowed. You have to have the insurance valid until next June.

Your wife will will only need 30 days that is the minimum that can be purchased.

Have you looked at this site. https://covid19.tgia.org/

• Like 1

Your non-o visa expired long ago. You have been extending the 90 day permit to stay it allowed. You have to have the insurance valid until next June.

Your wife will will only need 30 days that is the minimum that can be purchased.

Have you looked at this site. https://covid19.tgia.org/

Actually, as should be clear, I don't have much, if any, of a clue about how this works. But once again your replies (with an assist from Sheryl) have made everything clear. In this case dismally clear. But I guess I can't blame you for that. Thanks so much. I will follow that link.

OP since you will have to get one year policy anyway you might do better to get a general expat health policy that includes COVID, better value for the money and you are ciovered for all illnesses/accidents not just one.

Just make sure the insurer is prepared to provide a letter stating that COVID is covered. If you get through a broker like www.aainsure.net they know how to arrange this.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

OP since you will have to get one year policy anyway you might do better to get a general expat health policy that includes COVID, better value for the money and you are ciovered for all illnesses/accidents not just one.

Just make sure the insurer is prepared to provide a letter stating that COVID is covered. If you get through a broker like www.aainsure.net they know how to arrange this.

Thank you Sheryl. I hadn't thought of that. My health insurance is about to expire. 

25 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Thank you Sheryl. I hadn't thought of that. My health insurance is about to expire. 

You can use a regular health policy, does not have to be a COVID only policy - as long as (1) it does nto exclude COVID (2) it is valid for the necessary period and (3) The insurer will issue a letter stating you are covered in Thailand, for COVID for at least $100k.

I entered with my normal health insurance policy (April International). AA brokers facilitated getting an insurance certificate from them - same as their normal 1 page certificate of insurance but with this added at the bottom

"MEDICAL EXPENSES - COVID-19 COVERAGE
Hospitalisation costs covered at 100% of usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) costs, with a minimum of USD100,000.  Treatment for medically-necessary services related to COVID-19 are covered according to the benefits schedule, as any other medical condition"

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

You can use a regular health policy, does not have to be a COVID only policy - as long as (1) it does nto exclude COVID (2) it is valid for the necessary period and (3) The insurer will issue a letter stating you are covered in Thailand, for COVID for at least $100k.

I entered with my normal health insurance policy (April International). AA brokers facilitated getting an insurance certificate from them - same as their normal 1 page certificate of insurance but with this added at the bottom

"MEDICAL EXPENSES - COVID-19 COVERAGE
Hospitalisation costs covered at 100% of usual, customary and reasonable (UCR) costs, with a minimum of USD100,000.  Treatment for medically-necessary services related to COVID-19 are covered according to the benefits schedule, as any other medical condition"

You are overtaxing my gratitude center which, even at its best, is more than slightly dysfunctional.