The End Of Thai Rak Thai?

jeebusjones

The consensus on Thailand Outlook TV is that TRT will be dissolved, Thaksin will never come back for life under any scenario, and the main question is which and how many TRT top officials are banned from politics. If some of their top guns are not banned, they can just rebrand their party and compete quite well with the now strenghthened Democrat party. But the verdict is definitely not in yet! The consensus if this happens (TRT dissolution) is also that some violence is quite possible as the ruling will be seen as unfair by the TRT masses -- democrats saved, TRT killed.

Another real interesting point was made. Now the democrat party is much stronger and it was felt they will be pressured to change to a more populist party (rural poor people) more like TRT, in order to tap into that rich vein that Thaksin did for the first time in Thai poltiical history. Now, frankly, that sounds pretty good to me, kind of a unity party to bring Thailand back on the path of some kind of democracy.

For a touch of humor, anyone care to guess the new name of the rebranded TRT? How about Thais like Thais too much.

Edited by Jingthing

I was watching at around 5:45, and a verdict was read. One group, presumably the democrats, erupted in applause and cheering.

I asked my gf what happened, and she said TRT had lost.

I'm beginning to wonder if she's just messing with me :o. But it's amazing how little interest she has shown regarding this rather important event. If it's at all indicative of the general Thai feeling, it's actually a bit worrisome.

The consensus on Thailand Outlook TV is that TRT will be dissolved, Thaksin will never come back for life under any scenario, and the main question is which and how many TRT top officials are banned from politics. If their top guns are preserved, they can just rebrand their party and compete quite well with the now strenghthened Democrat party. But the verdict is definitely not in yet!

any idea of how much longer the show will go on? anyone?

The consensus on Thailand Outlook TV is that TRT will be dissolved, Thaksin will never come back for life under any scenario, and the main question is which and how many TRT top officials are banned from politics. If their top guns are preserved, they can just rebrand their party and compete quite well with the now strenghthened Democrat party. But the verdict is definitely not in yet!

any idea of how much longer the show will go on? anyone?

until it is finished .... and then the additional commentary will follow :o

Four more hours. Late at night. Then when the bad news for TRT is announced, the potential troublemakers will be too bored and tired to do anything.

Your girlfriend was correct in a sense. The democrat party being saved was definitely a bad omen for TRT.

Edited by Jingthing

I just received an SMS from Bangkok Post's news service that said - Tribunal rules that Democratic party are clear of all charges; one small party dissolved. Thai Rak Thai verdict to be delivered after a short break.

Watch this space...

well, I guess, whatever the outcome of todays hearing, I hope for Thailand, His Majesty the King and the people in the Country, that things work out for Thailand - in the long run. Be good to see the country stabilise and begin to pick itself up after the recent few years.

Chokdee Bra tet Thai, I think you may be needing it soon, more than ever....

:o

The supreme court judges do indeed seem to have taken the King's pleas seriously. They are trying very hard to explain the specific legal reasons for each judgement. Now, that is very hard thing to do under the current military government. Along with the King's recent speech, this might possibly go a long way towards calming things down if the verdict is going to go against TRT. Lets hope there is no violence. If TRT is dissolved, the TRT supporters will be free to organize a new party with the same goals, so I don't see the logical need for any violence.

Edited by Jingthing

The Constitution Tribunal ruled that the Thai Rak Thai did not have enough political ideology to remain as a political party and had committed wrongdoings warranting dissolution.

The court also bans Thai Rak Thai's executives from holding political office for five years.

The tribunal found that the Thai Rak Thai-led government dissolved the House to help its party leader Thaksin Shinawatra over his personal problems.

The judges found that Thaksin had power over party's ideology.

The judges found that the political problem stemmed from the party leader's personal problems.

The judges ruled that the Thai Rak Thai allowed the election to be abused as tool for the party leader to try to monopolise power.

The tribunal also found that the party did not attach importance to elections and did not have political ideology to help the people to have well being as promised during election campaigns.

The Nation

well, I guess, whatever the outcome of todays hearing, I hope for Thailand, His Majesty the King and the people in the Country, that things work out for Thailand - in the long run. Be good to see the country stabilise and begin to pick itself up after the recent few years.

Chokdee Bra tet Thai, I think you may be needing it soon, more than ever....

:D

I'll second that. :D:o