87 people, including government chief whip, indicted over futsal court scandal

snoop1130

1631606775232-1024x685.jpg

The government’s chief whip and Palang Pracharat MP, Wirat Rattanaseth / photo from parliament.go.th

The Thai government’s chief whip and Palang Pracharat MP, Wirat Rattanaseth, and 86 other people, including school directors, local politicians and teachers, were indicted today by public prosecutors before the Supreme Court’s Criminal Division for Political Office Holders over alleged corruption in the construction of futsal courts at hundreds of schools in 17 northern and north-eastern provinces.

Only 81 of the defendants showed up today to acknowledge the charges. The six others, including Mr. Wirat, were not present, citing various reasons.

The scandal dates back to the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, when several MPs, during budget scrutiny in parliament, diverted an estimated 4.4 billion baht, originally earmarked for construction and maintenance of school buildings damaged by natural disasters, to the building of futsal courts, supposedly to promote the sport among local students.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/87-people-including-government-chief-whip-indicted-over-futsal-court-scandal/

Logo-top-.png
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The scandal dates back to the government of Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra, when several MPs, during budget scrutiny in parliament, diverted an estimated 4.4 billion baht, originally earmarked for construction and maintenance of school buildings damaged by natural disasters, to the building of futsal courts, supposedly to promote the sport among local students

I firmly believe eventually corruption will be the downfall of Thailand, I understand it's endemic but when it undermines every level and every function it will collapse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Only 81 of the defendants showed up today to acknowledge the charges. The six others, including Mr. Wirat, were not present, citing various reasons.

Gotta love the thai "legal" system.

Poor folks forced to plead guilty - paper or plastic - forced into  reenactment. no judicial reviews, off to prison. Young adults exercising their legal rights of free speech carted off to jail and held without bail forever.

Upper class just blows off charges.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, retsdon said:

Thai children still learn using the same rubbishy materials that their parents, and probably their grandparents, used. They are still taught using a talk-and-chalk methodology that, in the rest of the world, became obsolete 40 years ago. By any measure of learning,Thai children consistently lag their peers in poorer Asian countries. And compared to children in the developed world....

But nobody in the Thai government cares less. As long as the education budget is there to be pilfered wholesale, it's doing its job. The whole edifice from top to bottom is rotten to the core.

Probably the grand parents even didn't get any education. My mother in law (RIP) was not allowed to attend school as she had to take care of the household.

Edited by SomchaiCNX

What i find truly enlightening is how many went from PTP to the government side showing that money is a motivator and seats are bought and sold. No political allegiance but just a desire for money. No wonder people don't trust Thai politicians.

They probably revived it to punish those government MP's that were against dear general. Would not suprise me if many of those names are the same. Especially given the fact that Thammatat is from the north/north east where he has his powerbase and where many of the former PTP politicians come from. 

Shows again how corrupt also the judiciary is given that they only investigate and attack when someone orders them. I bet if the Thammatat row did not happen this would have stayed hidden too.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hotchilli said:

I firmly believe eventually corruption will be the downfall of Thailand, I understand it's endemic but when it undermines every level and every function it will collapse.

Not in our lifetime, though. This is a country where 60 - 70% of the people have no problem with corruption. If they can benefit from it, that is. Consecutive polls over decades show roughly the same figures. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

Off course they don't care. How you are going to steal money from 65 million well educated people, easier to keep them stupid and afraid.

However the same syndrome is now becoming highly evident in the 'west' as well ...

• Like 1