New Farm Pond

I may have found a solution as to where to dump some dirt. There is a three rai patch about a kilometer away the is quite low and not level. I have made an offer of 20,000 baht per rai. He is supposed to send a copy of the chanote so we can look at the boundaries. There is no electricity there either but it is a very attractive plot for a home when the electric service does come.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Brilliant,

I have seen bamboo brush thrown on the surface of ponds for this purpose,

but the barbed wire would be neatly invisible, and yet would snag every net cast in.

If you want to annoy fish thieves, lay a coil or two of barbed wire in the pond (or around the edges if they use cast nets). They'll never get their net back.

Don't forget to drag the wire out before you try to harvest :o

The completed pond. Long and narrow. Lots of dirt left but since the pond is certainly not suited for recreation, it doesn't much matter.

What have you decided to do with it Gary?

Unless someone comes and asks for the dirt it can just stay there. The farm is being made into rice paddy so the pond will be used for irrigation. it is now full.

post-17093-1187145824_thumb.jpg

Hello Gary

Since it is full with water, your pond looks good now.

The dirt around is 'standard' - at least here in Isarn, where I live. Most people plant something on it: Bananas, Papaya, Bamboo or even vegetables (if it is not to far away from civilization - i.e. thieves are not a concern). It is a good place to plant, because it will not be flooded. On the downside: the dirt is usually not very good in the first years, because it was dug up, hence there is little fertilizer in it. If you use cow/buffalo shit mixed with rice peels, the dirt will become better within one or two years.

Try to plant something like 'takray' or some other grass like Vertiver ('Yaa faek' in Thai) at the banks to avoid the rain washing dirt back in the pond.

Regards Thedi