Driving Without Any License

You've been given the best advice out there ....

feel free to ignore it and not be legal as you choose ...

should you have a major incident about this PLEASE stop in to ThaiVisa.com in a few years and tell people what happened!

Hello, so many people doing things they shouldnt. Why should they ask stupid questions all the time about what could happen when they break the law , like it is different here than western cultures.

I drove with a legal license, and always maintained papers for what ever, visas, drivers license, banking and paying my taxes etc..that it was legal and done properly.

And I never had any problems in thailand

So stop trying the other way, and do it by the law,,,And yes the land los is changing expecting people to do things legally..

So now people are afraid

I am not afraid of the system,,,,,treats me good

thanks

Thats right, but I was just reading, that I cant apply for a license, while beeing on a tourist visa, wich I am...

But what are the consequences, when beeing caught without license, without having an accident?

Do you have a license from your home country? Also an International Driving Permit?

My problem is, that I never had any kind of license.

Was always lucky.

But sureley, I dont want to be in the situation, to have an accident in thailand without license and insurance.

My thai GF was studying law, and she said: No worries, I will handle it, if ever you got a problem.

I am not totaly convinced...

I prefer to let her drive, but she doesent like to drive long distances, and belive me, chances for an accident are definetley higher if she drives sober than me driving after acouple of jugs...

there is only one word to describe people like you, wxxxxr.

would you do this in your own country?

no licensce equals no insurance, then you throw alcohol into the equation.

there was some idiot tourist wiped a thai out in pattaya a few weeks ago, driving while drunk.

i personally hope they throw the book at him and let him rot in a thai jail for years.

your g/f handling it equates to how much money do you have.

i can assure you, if you ever screw with me or my family i will throw 1000 baht to every 1 baht you can produce, to make sure the thais throw the book at you.

you have been advised not to, my advice is to heed this, you are an accident waiting to happen

Edited by rgs2001uk

Blacklist?

RED STAMP in your passport, never to be able to visit Thailand ever again! :D

It is Possible, read about the guy found stealing a towel from Hotel, he was put in jail and blacklisted, the thread is on here , somewhere

one chap was blacklisted for smoking in a one-way street and deported the next day :o

Thats right, but I was just reading, that I cant apply for a license, while beeing on a tourist visa, wich I am...

But what are the consequences, when beeing caught without license, without having an accident?

If the Bib catch you in one of their frequent roadside checks. They'll simply confiscate your bike, a fine and/or possibly worse.

Dont take a chance!! You'll be caught! and rue the day.

Was always lucky.

But sureley, I dont want to be in the situation, to have an accident in thailand without license and insurance.

My thai GF was studying law, and she said: No worries, I will handle it, if ever you got a problem.

I prefer to let her drive, but she doesent like to drive long distances, and belive me, chances for an accident are definetley higher if she drives sober than me driving after acouple of jugs...

there was some idiot tourist wiped a thai out in pattaya a few weeks ago, driving while drunk.

i personally hope they throw the book at him and let him rot in a thai jail for years.

i can assure you, if you ever screw with me or my family i will throw 1000 baht to every 1 baht you can produce, to make sure the thais throw the book at you.

you have been advised not to, my advice is to heed this, you are an accident waiting to happen

wowowow!

You didnt undestand that right!

I would never drive drunk!

I just wanted to say, that my GFs driving is very bad.

1000 to every 1....

Bill Gates, is it you? :o

Was always lucky.

wowowow!

1000 to every 1....

i wont get into trouble for being rich, but you will get into trouble for doing what you are doing eventually.

Was always lucky.

wowowow!

1000 to every 1....

i wont get into trouble for being rich, but you will get into trouble for doing what you are doing eventually.

Dont worry about that, from now on my girlfriend will drive for me.

She doesnt like it, but she will understand it.

Was always lucky.

wowowow!

1000 to every 1....

Dont worry about that, from now on my girlfriend will drive for me.

She doesnt like it, but she will understand it.

Wow Barbarossa, I got your joke about how bad your girlfriend drives. It was double (even triple) fun when rgs2001uk responded like a jack*ss, showing he didn't get the joke and compounded that with i-net "tough guy" talk, "screw with my family", etc. Thanks for that!

calibanjr,

please excuse me for not getting the joke, english is not my first language.

as for being a jackass, well that is a matter of opinion.

i am sure, i like many people will do everything they can to protect their family.

i dont know if you have ever been through the heartache, and fall out of loosing a memeber of your family due to some one elses recklessness.

i also hope you have never to go through the thai legal system, to seek compensation for, a child left without a father, and a wife left without a husband.

it was only the fact i have money, that allowed my family to do so, and eventually get some form of redress.

i along with, many thais, and many residents here, are dissmayed at the amount of people coming here and choosing to ignore the laws of this country, laws they wouldnt be so carefree with in their own country.

best of luck to the op, at least he had the common sense to post the question, and hopefully take the advice others have given him, letting his girlfriend sort it out, wouldnt be much help, if he was locked up and having to pay either a massive "fine", or a period of detention.

the fact that mant farangs choose to ignore the laws here shows a complete lack of respect, we are after all only guests here, i cannot comment on your position..

as for i-net tough guy talk, i can assure you it was far from that, i dont consider myself a tough guy, in fact i will walk away from trouble.

if however it comes knocking at my door, i wont back down, just because some jackass or would be tough guy, chooses to ignore the laws of this country, and probably his own,and in doing so endangers not only himself, but innocent bystanders.

sorry for the longwinded reply, but this is a very emmotive subject, as i am sure you will agree, anyone driving without insurance, deserves everything they get.

When I was in Thailand in April, I took one morning and went down and got a drivers license for auto and another for motorcycle. (If I could only figure out which is which??) It took from 9 AM to 12PM and I walked out with my 2 licenses....EASY..

Quit talking about it and just go do it.

Absolutely nothing will happen as long as you ride your bike around the big rock candy mountain, where the cops have wooden legs, .........

Are you serious? The slightest incident on the road without license, nor insurance, nor any legal rights to ownership of motorized vehicle within the knigdom will cause you much wailing , weeping, and gnashing of teeth.

You plonker.

Buy a mirror instead of a bike and "have a quiet word" with yourself.

When I was in Thailand in April, I took one morning and went down and got a drivers license for auto and another for motorcycle. (If I could only figure out which is which??)

Thats easy :D Motorcycle one is the license that has so many thai characters on the top righthand side of it they had to reduce the font size to make it fit :o The car license has a lot less characters and larger type :D

Yup thats an arcade classic!

But the license thing, i can remember talking to some 'alpha' male type in a bar. He was making himself out to be the king sugar daddy type and 'master of all he surveyed' expat deal. So i said to him 'Have you got yourself a Thai Driving license yet?' To which he, after a pause, said

'No, I haven't, what do I need one of them for??'

Stupid is as stupid does...

If you're a tourist, go with the IDP groove, if your here long term (3 months or more) then get a thai driving license / bike license. They'll not only get you out of a jam with the BIB but you'll likely get thai discount on some places in Thailand.

Yup thats an arcade classic!

But the license thing, i can remember talking to some 'alpha' male type in a bar. He was making himself out to be the king sugar daddy type and 'master of all he surveyed' expat deal. So i said to him 'Have you got yourself a Thai Driving license yet?' To which he, after a pause, said

'No, I haven't, what do I need one of them for??'

Stupid is as stupid does...

If you're a tourist, go with the IDP groove, if your here long term (3 months or more) then get a thai driving license / bike license. They'll not only get you out of a jam with the BIB but you'll likely get thai discount on some places in Thailand.

Well, Im longterm(3m+), but on tourist visa...

Whats the IDP groove?

Edited by barbarossa

Absolutely nothing will happen as long as you ride your bike around the big rock candy mountain, where the cops have wooden legs, .........

Are you serious? The slightest incident on the road without license, nor insurance, nor any legal rights to ownership of motorized vehicle within the knigdom will cause you much wailing , weeping, and gnashing of teeth.

You plonker.

Buy a mirror instead of a bike and "have a quiet word" with yourself.

Korp khun krap, Kohnjai mak....

Well, Im longterm(3m+), but on tourist visa...

Whats the IDP groove?

Get yourself an International Driving Permit (IDP) from the motoring organisations in your home country, some will even do it all by mail, so assuming you have an address in your home country (for them to send it to) you can obtain one without actually returning.

The IDP in conjunction with your national licence is the only legal way to drive except for a Thai licence or a licence from certain Asian countries.

In Pattaya at soi 8 police station it is posted 1000 baht & they can if they feel like it impound your ride & that will cost more than the 1000 baht guaranteed. if you give em lip service & the copper is in a bad mood you will kiss your ride goodbye & have to pay the impound tickets as well. If you have a wreck you are at fault reguardless & I am pretty sure your insurance in Thailand is void if the operator is uninsured. I bought the highest # 1 insurance on the bike & it states only the listed operators are covered. Since you can't legally drive you can not be listed as a driver! If you have a wreck they are going to require a minumum bond Mine is 200,000 Pays for me to get bailed out without goin to the pokey. If you aren't Thai. I would highly suggest you stop playing Russian Roulette with yourself & others. In your home country I am sure there would be stiff penalties for the first time jail for the second & worse if you disobeyed further times, I thnk back on how stupid I was in the U.S. when I was 18 & got my license suspended & disobeyed the judge.

Cost $1000.00 U.S. first offense(Judges daughter got killed by a drunk driver with no license) impounded my car another $450.00 & change to get my car out of the impound lot after serving 3 days in jail Max sentence at the time.

While I haven't been close to ever going to a Thai Jail I, heard it really sucks from a person that spent 2 & 1/2 months in Pattaya for a blattent overstay in the kingdom.

for God sakes BUCK UP & GET YOUR LICENSE OR STOP DRIVING & yes they can send you home for making mistakes like this & blacklist you from ever returning to Thailand on the worst case senario.

Not saying they would But if it is a drinking related Farang without a licence & no Big bucks in your pocket to pay for a death after Jail you will be getting deported & then you get to pay for the jet ride back home at first class price. Hardly worth it. If you were a kid & in a western country you might be better off. It is people that make these poor decisions that force others to buy brass balls insurance when we get in a wreck with uninsured drivers. It is bad enough the 8 year old Thai kids are driving on no lic. but comon get a clue , your in a foreign country my man & if you don't have any respect for yourself Please think of others. Put yourself in others shoes how would you feel if someone that couldn't pay for your hospital expenses cause they were to selfish to get their license & insurance.

An act of kindness begets kindness & stupidity is no excuse.

Beardog :o

I had an accident in bangkok on petchburi in the rain, approaching soi 3 from the direction of the expressway entrance.

a woman in a volvo tried to pull a u turn from the 3rd lane, cutting across the other 2 lanes. I was in the centre lane and had to lie my vfr 400 down to avoid slamming broadside into her because it had not rained in a while and the road was greasy.

while i did not hit her she stopped the car, called her insurance and the police.

1 month later i received a cheque for 50k baht to cover the respray and bent brake lever and footpeg.

not once was i asked to show the license i did not have.

I got one shortly thereafter though.

I had an accident in bangkok on petchburi in the rain, approaching soi 3 from the direction of the expressway entrance.

a woman in a volvo tried to pull a u turn from the 3rd lane, cutting across the other 2 lanes. I was in the centre lane and had to lie my vfr 400 down to avoid slamming broadside into her because it had not rained in a while and the road was greasy.

while i did not hit her she stopped the car, called her insurance and the police.

1 month later i received a cheque for 50k baht to cover the respray and bent brake lever and footpeg.

not once was i asked to show the license i did not have.

I got one shortly thereafter though.

I guess you must have earned that good luck somewhere.Must have good karma!

Glad you were able to walk away & not wind up on the deadhorse news!

Very smart to get that license the odds get worse each time around for repeat incidents!

Being a rider I hate hearing anyone having to lay there ride down, but I would agree, it isbetter to lay it down instead of taking it broadside!!!!