Eight million more doses of Moderna vaccine to be purchased as booster shots

snoop1130

000_9M29DQ.jpg

Photo by Joseph Prezioso / AFP

Thailand’s Chulabhorn Royal Academy (CRA), one of the five agencies in the country authorised to procure COVID-19 vaccines and currently the sole procurer of China’s Sinopharm product, is planning to purchase 8 million doses of the US-made Moderna vaccine as booster shots for the year 2022.

The CRA announced a formal cooperation with ZP Therapeutics, a subsidiary of Zuellig Pharma, a pharmaceutical company importing Moderna vaccines into Thailand, today (Tuesday), and said that 8 million 100-microgram doses will be imported for next year, with staged delivery from the first to the third quarters.

Moderna will be the second alternative to the Thai government’s vaccination campaign. The first and currently only paid alternative vaccine is Chinese made Sinopharm.

Full Story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/eight-million-more-doses-of-moderna-vaccine-to-be-purchased-as-booster-shots/

Logo-top-.png

8 hours ago, Soikhaonoiken said:

How many times has this been reported, that they are going to purchase vaccine..... Just report it when it arrives in Thailand, and stop the propergander reports. 

If i add up all the "are going to purchase" Thailand has  far to many vaccines ordered, but maybe they will donate them.

• Haha 2

Well, (assuming everyone gets double-vaccinated this year ... although they're presently under 20% of that) it's looking like everyone will be needing a "booster" shot next year ... i.e. boosters for 60 million (?) people ... so why just order 8 million doses? - it's looking like next year's booster shots will be the same as the current system: ordered in dribs and drabs, and always at the back of the queue ... whilst better organised countries ordered big and ordered early.

16 minutes ago, law ling said:

it's looking like next year's booster shots will be the same as the current system: ordered in dribs and drabs, and always at the back of the queue ... whilst better organised countries ordered big and ordered early.

As far as I have read, booster shots (3rd doses) are not really required, although Israel may have jumped the gun so to speak.

Booster shots or (3rd doses) are usually for the elderly or those with immunocompromised systems, suffice to say to order 3rd shots at this point in time would be wrong IMO, best to adopt the wait and see approach on how things are panning out with the virus, not forgetting that there are 3rd world countries that have been left behind, so might be best that they get the assistance that they require to get them in line with the rest of the world so as to reduce the virus to a flu or cold like symptom is achievable.

The above said, I had two Pfizer shots and have paid for 2 Moderna shots, when and if Moderna arrives, I will put it back as far as I can, even if it costs me the money I paid for it, that said, 12 months time would be like having an annual flu shot, so that is when I am looking to have it, if the expiry date allows for it or they can put my order on a new shipment to arrive around then ?

If on the other hand they say we need one in 6 months, then Moderna it will be in 6 months, if available.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1