Airports of Thailand Will Take over 3 Airports to Boost Tourism

webfact

d05943e9047bdf06f9cbb2aac2dbe28d_small.jpg

By Subhabhong Rarueysong

BANGKOK (NNT) - Thailand’s Transport Ministry has revealed that 3 airports, currently run by the Department of Airports (DoA), will soon come under the control of Airports of Thailand (AoT) to help drive tourism growth.

Transport Minister Saksayam Chidchob said the ministry has resolved to shift the management of Udon Thani, Krabi and Buri Ram airports to the AoT, which can help expand their capacities and turn them into regional air transport hubs that are well-positioned to handle more tourists.

He said Udon Thani and Buri Ram airports will be handed over to the AoT on January 1st and Krabi airport will be transferred at a later date. The move follows a ministry consultation with the two airport authorities and the Treasury Department, which owns the land on which the three airports are located.

Mr. Saksayam said the AoT is studying how to compensate the DoA for losing the right to manage the three airports, which have generated a steady income for the department. One way could be to pay a lump sum to the department, based on projected revenue the AoT would earn from the three airports over the duration of the 30-year leases.

nnt.jpg
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand’s Transport Ministry has revealed that 3 airports, currently run by the Department of Airports (DoA), will soon come under the control of Airports of Thailand (AoT) to help drive tourism growth.

Musical chairs.

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr. Saksayam said the AoT is studying how to compensate the DoA for losing the right to manage the three airports, which have generated a steady income for the department.

So they're transferring the management of public properties from a government department to a for-profit publicly listed company first, and then figuring out how the government will be compensated. Seems backwards to me, but what do I know?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, khunjeff said:

Given who is involved, I'm thinking that Buriram is the actual focus of this scheme and that Udon was just tossed in to make that less obvious.

That particular mafia is still being rewarded for switching sides, stabbing Thaksin in the back and remaining loyal. 

The transport ministry is one of the most lucrative ministries there is. 

12 hours ago, SomchaiCNX said:

The main target is Buriram, a province run by the older brother of the minister. The other two are have to hide that fact?  Aot has plenty of retired generals on their payroll.

Shouldn't be surprising, as it's well known that the military [et al] controlled expansion have their corrupt hands into numerous private and state enterprises. 

On 9/17/2021 at 8:19 AM, khunjeff said:

Given who is involved, I'm thinking that Buriram is the actual focus of this scheme and that Udon was just tossed in to make that less obvious.

Me thinks that this airport has a lot of potential . It will / can serve as a hub for inter provincial travel and bring to an end of having to travel to Bangkok to visit other provinces in Thailand . It will almost certainly become an international airport with weekly connections to the middle east and will involve Emirates who were involved on a feasibility study for a new airport near to Surin which was cancelled when a certain gentleman from Buriram intervened . I for one will welcome the changes and expansion to an international airport .