Busted For Drink Driving

Still reckon the thread was started by Mr Jo King. Whilst totally approving of steps to curb drunk driving of which many farangs are more guilty than they would care to admit, and I know of several lunatic escapades here in Pattaya, have never heard of points on a Thai licence!

Hey Clipped, what happens if you don't do the community service? I think I need to do 12 hours.

BTW I paid a fine of THB3000 to the court and THB2000 to the Thonglor policeman's retirement fund.

Looks like some people don't believe me. Why i'd want to make up such a story ...?

It happened on Phetkasem Road in Bang Khae at about midnight on a monday. Everyone in my cell, 25 people, were busted for drink driving. Some were rich Thai's. Paying bail is basically giving the local cops 10k, you get a receipt and you get your money back if you attend court. One guy didn't have money to bail himself out and he turned up at the court in handcuffs.

Cars were fined 4,000k, motorbikes 3,000k.

It was 12 hours community service but you get 6 hours off if you agree to donate blood. My community service was gardening, it was incredibly hot and the probation guy told us all to go home after 3 hours, he wanted to go back to his aircon office.

The local police said they dont know when the drink drinking stings are going to happen. They also said that the uncorruptable cops are rich cops, it's an easy safe way for them to clock up their arrest rate (25 people in a hour isn't bad) which moves them up the police ranks very quickly. So they're not really uncorruptable, they just holding out for the big money when they're a station commander.

Looks like some people don't believe me. Why i'd want to make up such a story ...?

It happened on Phetkasem Road in Bang Khae at about midnight on a monday. Everyone in my cell, 25 people, were busted for drink driving. Some were rich Thai's. Paying bail is basically giving the local cops 10k, you get a receipt and you get your money back if you attend court. One guy didn't have money to bail himself out and he turned up at the court in handcuffs.

Cars were fined 4,000k, motorbikes 3,000k.

It was 12 hours community service but you get 6 hours off if you agree to donate blood. My community service was gardening, it was incredibly hot and the probation guy told us all to go home after 3 hours, he wanted to go back to his aircon office.

The local police said they dont know when the drink drinking stings are going to happen. They also said that the uncorruptable cops are rich cops, it's an easy safe way for them to clock up their arrest rate (25 people in a hour isn't bad) which moves them up the police ranks very quickly. So they're not really uncorruptable, they just holding out for the big money when they're a station commander.

Turnip, you'll have to excuse the skeptics. Those of us who've been in Thailand a long time find it very hard to believe. I do have a question for you. Of the 25 people in your cell, what percentage of them do you think were really drunk, and what percent had a minimum blood level and only a drink or two and just nailed for the purpose you said?

concerning the 3 hours extra if my blood couldnt be used. The parole officer said, 12 hours CS, cut in half if I agree to give blood, if the blood can't be used i have to do three more hours CS. So it's really three hours deduction for giving blood and three hours deduction if my blood is usable.

Turnip, you'll have to excuse the skeptics. Those of us who've been in Thailand a long time find it very hard to believe. I do have a question for you. Of the 25 people in your cell, what percentage of them do you think were really drunk, and what percent had a minimum blood level and only a drink or two and just nailed for the purpose you said?

Anyone they stopped who was over the limit was arrested. One lady said she was only 55mgs. Only a few of the people seemed seriously drunk. They stopped every car and motorbike driving past. I rolled down the window, blew towards a meter that gave a red light. I assume red meant there was some alcohol present. I was then told to park and had to do a proper breathalizer test. The cop who gave it to me was in his late twenties and could speak relatively good english. Which is unheard of for a cop in Bang khae!

One rich Thai who was the last to be arrested was really angry in the police station. I'm sure he knew the cops because they let him sit with them out of the cell. He was the last to be arrested and the first to be released, the rest of us were in for six hours he was out within an hour. But he still had to go to court, still got the fine. I didn't see him a community service so imagine he paid his way out of that.

I have friends who've been stopped drunk driving and worse case was a 1,000 baht. I've even seen a cop show a guy who was drunk where his car was at RCA. I was unlucky.

All of you who think this is a troll think again. It is going on in Pattaya all the time, they set up by the orphanage on Sukumhvit and stop every vehicle going thru. They are also randomly pulling people in, a friend of mine got stopped at 2.30pm on Pattaya Thai road and was fined 5,000 baht, but it went into the policeman's pocket, but he was a local. The one the OP is talking about are not local and cannot be bought.

Many of you just dont want to hear it because you all drink & drive, and think this is one of the things that makes Thailand great.

Good news for you Bangkok party animals.

Because I refused to believe that this practice was widespread in Bangkok, My wife and I have been asking around for the last few days from relatives and friends who are hardcore Thai clubbers who always drive their own cars. The incident of the OP appears to be where local mu baan cops have their own feifdoms, but does not happen in central BKK.

So, for all you fun lovers who think descending to the valet at Bed Bar from anything less than your bling-filled Fortuner with the 22"ers, or Lowered Merc would not be de rigeur, I think you can safely have a drink or two without risking spending the night in jail and having your blood sucked.

Of course, nobody condones Drink driving. But, having a drink or two for the night as the designated driver should not land you in jail. Not to worry in Sukh, Ratchada, etc..

A friend of mine fell upon a very similar fate about a year ago.

It was just outside Bangkapi – He had to do community service: Give Blood. But he didn’t mention having to meet a parole officer ever 3 months.

When he was arrested the police apologized to him that they couldn’t let him pay a fine and go as they had a quota to meet before midnight.

• 3 weeks later...
Hey Clipped, what happens if you don't do the community service? I think I need to do 12 hours.

BTW I paid a fine of THB3000 to the court and THB2000 to the Thonglor policeman's retirement fund.

whoahh sorry for an extremely late reply, if you dont do your time there will be a warrant put out for your arrest....BUT....i was behind schedule doing my community service and simply told them i was out of the country and they allowed me to do the remaining time.

chintee, these roadblocks are all over bangkok..i got popped behing rca, the road that runs parrallel with the rail road tracks.

whoahh sorry for an extremely late reply, if you dont do your time there will be a warrant put out for your arrest....BUT....i was behind schedule doing my community service and simply told them i was out of the country and they allowed me to do the remaining time.

chintee, these roadblocks are all over bangkok..i got popped behing rca, the road that runs parrallel with the rail road tracks.

Wow, ok I'll spread the word.

Are you residing in Thailand? Community service? Sounds like Bullshit to me, this guy isnt for real - TROLL

He is not a troll!!!! It happened to me to 1.5 year ago.

Spent the night in prison cause I didn't have the Baht 20000 bail on me. 2 days later to see the Judge, fined Baht 4000 and 20 hrs! Probation for 1 year and seeing the parole officer every 3 months for 1 year!

This happened on Rama 3, Bangkok. Where they are every month doing check ups.

Are you residing in Thailand? Community service? Sounds like Bullshit to me, this guy isnt for real - TROLL

He is not a troll!!!! It happened to me to 1.5 year ago.

Spent the night in prison cause I didn't have the Baht 20000 bail on me. 2 days later to see the Judge, fined Baht 4000 and 20 hrs! Probation for 1 year and seeing the parole officer every 3 months for 1 year!

This happened on Rama 3, Bangkok. Where they are every month doing check ups.

Oh yes. Not to forget, when I paid bail the next morning I had to go accross the road to get the Copper a bottle of whisky because of his son's birthday. All that could pay the Bail got out within 1 hour.