The Constitutional Tribunal Disbands Thai Rak Thai - Election cheating

george

Mr. Prasarn Mruigpitak believes investors are more confident following the verdict of party dissolution case

The Domestic Public Relations Center indicates that the overall situation of Thailand has become more positive after the court verdicts. The center also reminds the Thai Rak Thai Party acting leader, Mr. Chaturon Chaisang, to keep his promise by accepting the court's ruling.

The Chairman of the Domestic Public Relations Center, Mr. Prasarn Mruigpitak (ประสาร มฤคพิทักษ์), held a press conference at 10:00 hours after he had a meeting with security-related agencies and intelligence units. The meeting was held to evaluate the national situation after the party dissolution case concluded.

He said the overall situation is slightly better and the Stock Exchange of Thailand (SET) Index increased about 11 points this morning. More importantly, people have expressed confidence of the judicial system. He says the political situation is starting to be clearer and the general election is expected to take place soon.

Mr. Prasarn says the Constitution Tribunal has followed the royal speech of His Majesty the King, and can give clear explanations to the general public.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2007

• Replies 970
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Decision to revoke the CNS's 15th and 27th announcements concluded these few weeks

The conclusion, on whether the 15th and 27 announcements of the Council for National Security (CNS) will be revoked, is expected to be disclosed within these few weeks.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont says he has a discussion on the matter with CNS Chairman Gen. Sonthi Boonyaratkrin (สนธิ บุญยรัตกลิน) and Defence Minister Gem.Boonrawd Somtas (บุญรอด สมทัศน์).

They want to consider the matter in details before deciding whether the announcements should be lifted.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 01 June 2007

After the judgement the winners are :-

Purachai Piumsombun former TRT deputy PM, resigned and went to New Zealand prior to last {non-voided} election, now back and active in policy and politics. Very popular, some say even more so than Thaksin.

Anek Laothamatas former leader of Mahachon Party and viewed by many as a key contributor {indirectly in both cases} to both the 1997 constitution and the populist policies of TRT. Was rumoured to be trying to create a new party with Somkid but the latter was not so keen. Point is now moot o course.

Just thoughts to move the discussion on, maybe....

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

yep, Purachai and Anek are in good shape right now.

I find it most amusing that people talk about how TRT are not the 'rich elite' and somehow the Democrats and everyone else are.

Do you guys know the TRT senior members? Families the the Adireksarns, the Srivikorns, the Shinawatras?

These guys define the current breed of 'rich elite'.

Or should we talk about their backers, families like the Srifuengfungs, companies like CP and Ital-Thai. Again, these seem awfully like they are rich. And certainly not significantly different to the lot in the other parties.

So...what are we left with?

Ah yes, a vote grabbing party with free booze, healthcare, propped up commodity prices, half hearted war on drugs with no major mafia figures ever caught, interest free loans/loan write offs, free substandard housing for the poor, free SIM cards for government officials, turbo care for constituancies that voted for them....in other words, rich elite YES but rich elite with a callous freebie vote grabbing program to ensure enough votes to prevent censure and with enough money to prevent freedom of the press or any meaningful scrutiny.

Nick2K - these rural guys didn't vote for Rich elite party TRT because they were given what they needed. They voted for them because TRT researched and gave them what they wanted - some cash in the hand a some freebies for the future. And like the magician, the eye follows the freebies while the raping and pillaging was going on elsewhere. Anyone thinking Taksin was an economic genius should get real; much of his success was in coming into power directly after a frugal administration that left a surplus plus pent up demand. Kind of like Clinton overseeing 'America's economic miracle'.

This strategy of pay off and persuading officials to turn a blind eye is exactly why they have been dissolved, and deservedly so. When he was elected, the powers behind the scenes lent on a judge, alledgedly, so that he could rule without a ban back then 'for the good of the country.' Let's just say now he can concentrate on running his lame footie team instead.

One day I frigging hope and pray that someone will be in power that can give this country what it NEEDS not what people think they want. Rest assured, it will be someone from the rich elite, question is, who???

> Do you guys know the TRT senior members? Families the the Adireksarns, the Srivikorns, the Shinawatras?

> These guys define the current breed of 'rich elite'.

Hint: Rich elite means something else. It means more elite than the level you mentioned. You need to work between the lines more.

Well that's good news. Purachai was always very popular, and is widely recognized for being tough on corruption. Not sure if he could get an actual party together as massive as TRT.

Wasn't Purachai the idiot who tried to rush through all the social order campaigns including shutting all nightlife down by 10pm?

Soundman.

Well that's good news. Purachai was always very popular, and is widely recognized for being tough on corruption. Not sure if he could get an actual party together as massive as TRT.

Wasn't Purachai the idiot who tried to rush through all the social order campaigns including shutting all nightlife down by 10pm?

Soundman.

Yes, Purachai was the figure head of the social order campaign. He and Mongol the new Health Minister have the same disease........ :o

Nick2K - these rural guys didn't vote for Rich elite party TRT because they were given what they needed. They voted for them because TRT researched and gave them what they wanted - some cash in the hand a some freebies for the future. And like the magician, the eye follows the freebies while the raping and pillaging was going on elsewhere. Anyone thinking Taksin was an economic genius should get real; much of his success was in coming into power directly after a frugal administration that left a surplus plus pent up demand. Kind of like Clinton overseeing 'America's economic miracle'.

One day I frigging hope and pray that someone will be in power that can give this country what it NEEDS not what people think they want. Rest assured, it will be someone from the rich elite, question is, who???

Yes, I hope so as well.

But, besides all ranting against Thai Rak Thai, and much of it justified, there simply is no alternative. The frugal Democrat government previous has done nothing for the rural guys, neither what they needed, nor handouts, nor freebies.

Name a realistic alternative, please.

If you would be one of those rural guys - who would you vote for? The party that gives you more than anybody else has done, or the party that has never done anything for you? That may sound a bit simplistic, but the many rural guys have not the luxury to engage in pseudo intellectual exercises we here in this forum like to.

What do they care who the financial backers of TRT are? For them there is very little difference between them and the ones the Democrats are backed by. As there is no progressive party existing in Thailand presently and most likely for the foreseeable future, which could balance the rest of the crop representing only the middle and upper classes, for these people the populist policies of TRT are as close to it as it gets.

I don't blame them for voting for TRT.

> Do you guys know the TRT senior members? Families the the Adireksarns, the Srivikorns, the Shinawatras?

> These guys define the current breed of 'rich elite'.

Hint: Rich elite means something else. It means more elite than the level you mentioned. You need to work between the lines more.

I know exactly who you mean, and I totally disagree with the McCargo style thinking that this group is anywhere near as influential and involved day to day as what some story tellers choose to believe, or that they have such a callous disregard for the rural poor as some would like to think... In fact, some of that group aren't even that rich!!

Colpyat - totally agree WHY the rural poor would choose to vote the way they do; in fact Democrats invented the concept of subsidised healthcare with a graduated scheme starting at I think it was 70b and was actually sustainable; ineptly communicated and implemented compared to the gradiose 30b for everyone fiasco which lasted for a while before the problems and obvious corruption element in the drug purchasing came to light.

My hope is that this is not a choice between three evils Thailand knows well:

- so called Bangkok elite who are somewhat inept, probably mean well but end up running things only briefly and getting booted out by

- military dictators who eliminate freedom of the press and run things like Burma (probably not really applicable to the current mob) who aren't too different to

- the Jao Por approach of govt, where factions of voting buying blocks/regional powerhouses are bought off to bring in a majority, and can then divy out the spoils as they see fit - Taksin's govt being the epitomy of this approach as they also brought in press control and had control of all major govt watchdogs

The 4th option is a leader, not a PM but a leader who has a strategic plan, control of the military and police and the support of Bangkok to actually transform rural Thailand into a economically sustainable community that delivers innovation, growth and community support. Now, only issue is that there are virtually no examples of this happening elsewhere without rampant profiteering SOMEWHERE in the system e.g. Singapore, but better to have someone getting very rich while most people get somewhat rich or at least better off than they are now, rather than one guy getting super rich at the expense of everyone else.

Tough to watch the poor in Jatujact supporting Taksin when i used to go running, what am I supposed to tell them about how that guy was screwing over my clients and the country, when all they see is some loans, some healthcare and a booming economy with a bit less yah bah around the place. Of course, the cynics might even claim that by eliminating most of the supply the few remaining drugs got sold for much higher prices, thus it was the OPEC approach, but nevertheless, the guy did some things right for a while. A smart person could learn a lot from how he did things, and repeat just without the large amount of corruption that went along with it. After all, Isaan people still love Chatichai, and that guy's govt was retrospectively a disaster as well.

Tough to watch the poor in Jatujact supporting Taksin when i used to go running, what am I supposed to tell them about how that guy was screwing over my clients and the country, when all they see is some loans, some healthcare and a booming economy with a bit less yah bah around the place. Of course, the cynics might even claim that by eliminating most of the supply the few remaining drugs got sold for much higher prices, thus it was the OPEC approach, but nevertheless, the guy did some things right for a while. A smart person could learn a lot from how he did things, and repeat just without the large amount of corruption that went along with it. After all, Isaan people still love Chatichai, and that guy's govt was retrospectively a disaster as well.

There we are in agreement.

As to the forum of the poor - people portray them simply as thugs because of the nation office blockade. But in reality though these people were poor farmers with very real problems that were ignored by all, and who have put their hopes on Thaksin's populist policies. I would have wished that they would have been given the chance to learn themselves that Thaksin was not a solution to their problems. Which they would have, in the end, and given time. That could have been the point when Thailand could have become truly democratic.

Well, i also hope that one day there will be a social democratic party in Thailand. :o

As to the McCargo theories, i fear this is not the right place to discuss them, unfortunately.

Do you really think the previous govt. actually gave a sh!t about yah bah. Not at all.

It was just very convenient to have a social order campaign, war on drugs, war on corruption, & faking a few assassination attempts (like bombs on aircraft) to completely beguile the public while the real crimes were being committed in the background.

Magicians, distract with one hand, steal with the other.

Soundman.

Do you really think the previous govt. actually gave a sh!t about yah bah. Not at all.

It was just very convenient to have a social order campaign, war on drugs, war on corruption, & faking a few assassination attempts (like bombs on aircraft) to completely beguile the public while the real crimes were being committed in the background.

Magicians, distract with one hand, steal with the other.

Soundman.

If you're referring to the incident at Don Mueng that was shown to be an overheated air con and associated systems The operating rules were that the systems should be shutdown, on the ground since similar incidents had occurred before. However , it is true that Thaksin portrayed it initially as a 'lucky escape'.

Regards

If you're referring to the incident at Don Mueng that was shown to be an overheated air con and associated systems The operating rules were that the systems should be shutdown, on the ground since similar incidents had occurred before. However , it is true that Thaksin portrayed it initially as a 'lucky escape'.

Regards

Yeah that's what I was referring too. The amount of public sympathy gained from that episode just lead to all the other staged "assassination attempts" whenever public support for him was on a negative slide.

Need a boost. Try to blow yourself up!!! (Probably more so from his wife's bidding than his according to thai's I have spoken to about this subject)

Cheers,

Soundman.

The Minister of Tourism and Sports expresses confidence that tourism will be improved after the rulings on the political party dissolution case, adding that the ministry is ready to explain facts about the country’s situation to foreign investors.

Ministry of Tourism , Foreign Investors .

Nothing like talking to hear the sound of your own voice .................................

these people were poor farmers with very real problems that were ignored by all, and who have put their hopes on Thaksin's populist policies

Here again the comparison with bolsheviks of Russia is suitable - they came from the cities and promised the moon and the cheesecake, the underclass got all excited and full of hope.

The fallacy is to think that Thaksin would have let it go. It would have been exactly the same as Stalin consolidated his power, jailed or killed his internal party oppostion, and eventually turned the country into Gulag.

I didn't call Thaksin a communist, btw, I said that his populist policies were designed by ex commies. They knew very well how to appeal to the underclasses, no one else would have come up with blanket free healthcare for all idea, for example.

Again, the fallacy is to think that Thaksin would have let slip his total grip on his voter base and bow out with grace and dignity in democratic elections. This is absolutely improbable situation, he build himself into an icon of success and care, a beacon of hope, father of the poor. He was often called "Dear Leader" for nothing.

People would remember him for many years, maybe generations, just like Russians still march with Stalin's portraits.

But, besides all ranting against Thai Rak Thai, and much of it justified, there simply is no alternative. The frugal Democrat government previous has done nothing for the rural guys, neither what they needed, nor handouts, nor freebies.

Name a realistic alternative, please.

If you would be one of those rural guys - who would you vote for? The party that gives you more than anybody else has done, or the party that has never done anything for you? That may sound a bit simplistic, but the many rural guys have not the luxury to engage in pseudo intellectual exercises we here in this forum like to

ColPyat,

I agree. It was very obvious why they voted for him, and it made sense for the rural poor to vote for him.

I hope that my posts did not come off too much like a rant. Since I've never posted on this topic(Thaksin), I had alot that I wanted to get out.

However, I also agree with Plus, in that I don't think Thaksin was ever going to let go of his grip on power and bow out with grace after a defeat in a democratic election. He wanted it all.

Edited by vermin on arrival

The fallacy is to think that Thaksin would have let it go. It would have been exactly the same as Stalin consolidated his power, jailed or killed his internal party oppostion, and eventually turned the country into Gulag.

That is a big pile of paranoid rubbish.

He would have had ample time to do all you alleged, but he didn't. Compare him with Berlusconi, or even Bush, but please, get a grip on reality.

He was elected PM for 5 years. He did extend more than a few democratic rules, but what you accuse him of here is absolutely baseless and counter any study even highly critical of him, even exceeds the idiotic Finland declaration conspiracy.

Soundman.

Purachai is far from an idiot, but he is known to be highly inflexible which in the past has caused him difficulties with other party members.

He would have had ample time to do all you alleged, but he didn't. Compare him with Berlusconi, or even Bush, but please, get a grip on reality.

He was elected PM for 5 years. He did extend more than a few democratic rules, but what you accuse him of here is absolutely baseless and counter any study even highly critical of him, even exceeds the idiotic Finland declaration conspiracy.

I'm not accusing him of anything, certainly not on a scale of Stalin, I'm making comparisons. Once Stalin had a taste of power, nothing and nobody could stand in his way. There were some decent people among his peers even by western standards but he left no prisoners, everyone had to go.

Many of TRT's original party founders have left competely disillusioned, too. Take this Purachai, he used to be TRT no 2 and then got unceremoniously fired and exiled to New Zealand. Not quite like Stalin's purges, but the principle is the same.

There's no denying that Thaksin didn't allow anyone within his party to appear as equal to him and it was pointed out many times.

If you don't like comparison to communists of Russia, how about any other communists regime - when did they ever allow any political challenge to their rule?

Never.

Thaksin clearly stated that he wanted TRT to rule for twenty years at least without any serious opposition. What makes you think he would change his mind?

I'm not accusing him of anything, certainly not on a scale of Stalin, I'm making comparisons. Once Stalin had a taste of power, nothing and nobody could stand in his way. There were some decent people among his peers even by western standards but he left no prisoners, everyone had to go.

Many of TRT's original party founders have left competely disillusioned, too. Take this Purachai, he used to be TRT no 2 and then got unceremoniously fired and exiled to New Zealand. Not quite like Stalin's purges, but the principle is the same.

There's no denying that Thaksin didn't allow anyone within his party to appear as equal to him and it was pointed out many times.

If you don't like comparison to communists of Russia, how about any other communists regime - when did they ever allow any political challenge to their rule?

Never.

Thaksin clearly stated that he wanted TRT to rule for twenty years at least without any serious opposition. What makes you think he would change his mind?

You really should brush up on your history before making such comical comparisons. Stalin did in the civil war head some of the most brutal militias, responsible for uncounted deaths and genocide already then.

Thaksin managed cleverly the many different factions of powerful vested interests that stood behind TRT, by playing each other out against each other, and making concessions when needed. Your fallacy is that you believe that TRT was a monolithic structure led by the fuhrer principle, or similar to one of the communist regimes gone insane.

Never.

You really should brush up on your history before making such comical comparisons. Stalin did in the civil war head some of the most brutal militias, responsible for uncounted deaths and genocide already then.

Thaksin managed cleverly the many different factions of powerful vested interests that stood behind TRT, by playing each other out against each other, and making concessions when needed. Your fallacy is that you believe that TRT was a monolithic structure led by the fuhrer principle, or similar to one of the communist regimes gone insane.

Actually ... he has a point.

Plus does that is .....

During his first term Thaksin TRIED to slide much of his actions under the radar .... but as soon as he was beyond censure ..... well :o BANG ... straight for rhe rest of the power and $$!

"Democrat Party had not breached the MPs and Senatorial Election Act because the act had lapsed after the coup."

"That's Section 66 of the... Organic Law on Political parties"

These are apparently not the same laws.

A mistake like that would have been spotted right away and I don't believe the judges were stupid enough to make it.

Please provide me with the link to the article you referenced. If you're right (and you very well may be), it wouldn't be the first time that The Nation contradicted itself.

Edited by tettyan

Actually ... he has a point.

Plus does that is .....

During his first term Thaksin TRIED to slide much of his actions under the radar .... but as soon as he was beyond censure ..... well :o BANG ... straight for rhe rest of the power and $$!

Yes, please, and can you now explain me how we get from there to the physical assassination of opposition within his own party and the development of a countrywide Thai equivalent of a Gulag?

Which was the slightly surreal point that Plus has made.

Never.

people trying to compare thaksin to stalin or mao truly astound me. communism in the last century has to be one the biggest failures in history. in their attempt to convert everybody to communism, the communists in the last century killed over 100+ million people.

thaksin is an angel compared to hitler, stalin or mao.

http://www.hawaii.edu/powerkills/20TH.HTM

Soundman.

Purachai is far from an idiot, but he is known to be highly inflexible which in the past has caused him difficulties with other party members.

Irrespective of his actual intellect, to try & push through a radical law that will only create an illegal industry (industries) that service public discontent is absolute idiocy & lunacy.

Soundman.

Matchima to seek pardon of TRT execs

Hope for House seats to lobby for amnesty

MANOP THIP-OSOD WASSANA NANUAM

Matchima group leader Somsak Thepsuthin plans to use his group's political clout to seek an amnesty for former Thai Rak Thai executives, including himself, who have been banished to the political wilderness.

He is pinning his hopes on some 80 group members who will be fielded to contest the general election expected to be held in December this year.

Please see the Bangkok Post for the rest of the story

Source: Bangkok Post

Edited by sbk
a link & first two paragraphs for Bkk post articles please

This comes down to we left early so it does not count.

However I think the law on this is grand, it forces them police themselves.

Sorry guys, you have been fired, time to look for a new job.