How Do You Feel About Thai Rak Thai Being Dissolved?

Jingthing

How do you feel about Thai Rak Thai being dissolved?  

154 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

They'll probably start a new party hmmmmmm?? "Rak Thai Rak" sounds catchy to me

Voted "dont care"

"Thai Rak Som Tam" ??? :o

Yuppers. but perhaps very popular party in the the isaan where Som Tam is the local Vegemite.

:D

Going to have the front page of the BBK Post framed. Did the same with one of their headlines about Mr. T Bowing out and is hanging proudly in my kitchen where I can see it every day.

Thai friends come over to house, see the pic and think that I'm an avid Taksin supporter. Oh Well.

Up here in the TRT heart land it is business as usual. The locals have just eaten and readying their hammocks for the mid morning nap. They don't seem to give a toss so neither do I. I would be interested to see how the decision effects the economy though.

Edited by bdenner

I don't think dissolution of TRT will have much effect, as has been stated they can start up a new party even using the TRT name (Thai Rak Thai 2?).

The bigger effect will likely come from the banning of the 111 senior members from politics for 5 years. This takes a large slice of the political machinery out of service so just how democratic will the next election result be?

One party state? Well it seems to work for Singapore and I often wonder is democracy the right form of government for Asians?

I don't think dissolution of TRT will have much effect, as has been stated they can start up a new party even using the TRT name (Thai Rak Thai 2?).

The bigger effect will likely come from the banning of the 111 senior members from politics for 5 years. This takes a large slice of the political machinery out of service so just how democratic will the next election result be?

One party state? Well it seems to work for Singapore and I often wonder is democracy the right form of government for Asians?

Indeed Sir you've nailed it...just how democratic will the next election result be?

Those banned from politics will simple put a relative into Parliament to protect their interests.

It seems you can commit high crimes and I view TRT election fraud as such, with no real fear of punishment.

A ban of five years from politics is not sufficient punishment for this crime.

Of the 111 executives only a few played a poltical role,not more than 15 to 20. The rest were on the board for services rendered or services to be rendered.

It's interesting to note how few branches TRT set up compared to its number of members, probably didn't want too much local autonomy.

The number of members was open to conjecture as they 'lifted' names wholesale from various agencies. The motivation was to obtain more funding from central coffers, the more members, the greater the subsidy.

Jimjim- [Edit bad genital joke]. I don't care so much about this party or that one because I don't have the stake of a Thai citizen and certainly can't vote. But I see it as a step backward for the process, for the development of a free democracy for Thais.

I mean, it's not like I'm going to jump off the roof of my office building, which is after all only two stories. But it is sad, I think, and that was an option.

Am I missing your question?

Jim's my grandfather's name. Got nothing to do with Thai language.

So I guess you feel the whole process was sham and favored the other party. Otherwise, it would be democracy in work. They were certainly guilty, but were the Democrats guilty too? That's the question I guess.

When Taksin was there, I was not happy with his undemocratic manner of mqnaging the country.

But now this party has been put out of the law, I find it more a disgrace of the democracy.

It's not a questoin of being against or not against TRT.

It's a matter of supporting democracy.

Every party, right, extreme right, middle, left and extreme left should have the right to be part of elections.

It's the responsibility to external observers that elections have been honest.

Just a masquerade. A kangaroo court cleverly disguised. That was the current junta's only aim. Watch out, get ready for a one party state AKA Singapore or China.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I agree. The tribunal had guns to their heads....as does the entire nation.

There are guilty people who should be punished, but finding all 111 members guilty and destroying the party is absolutely ridiculous, how anyone can take this verdict seriously is astounding.

The media not acknowledging the fact that it is a sham is very frightening.

Free speech is dead.

Fear is in power.

Puppet elections to follow.

The junta will do anything to stay in power...they want nothing to do with democracy.

Will the Thai people stand up for their rights? I'm beginning to think they are content sheep being led to slaughter.

What a shame brought upon the nation.

Free speech is dead.

Fear is in power.

The junta will do anything to stay in power...they want nothing to do with democracy.

Will the Thai people stand up for their rights? I'm beginning to think they are content sheep being led to slaughter.

Burma?

Soundman.

The fact the party that won latest (and probably last) free election with absolute (more then 50%) majority gets dissolved is a very sad day for democracy.

Democracy in the hands of criminals and corrupt politicians is not really a democracy, is it?

Democracy is just a word.

TRT was a collection of crooked, corrupt and highly dangerous politicians.

For Thailand, this might be one step back but three steps forward.

Might!

Just a masquerade. A kangaroo court cleverly disguised. That was the current junta's only aim. Watch out, get ready for a one party state AKA Singapore or China.

Cheers,

Soundman.

I agree. The tribunal had guns to their heads....as does the entire nation.

There are guilty people who should be punished, but finding all 111 members guilty and destroying the party is absolutely ridiculous, how anyone can take this verdict seriously is astounding.

The media not acknowledging the fact that it is a sham is very frightening.

Free speech is dead.

Fear is in power.

Just today The Daily News' cartoon made fun of the junta for being armed to the teeth against possible TRT demonstations yet Surayud prostrated himself and apologised, defencelessly, to the killers in the south.

Free speech is alive and well in Thailand.

If you follow Thai politics you will know setting up a party is easy, most members of TRT had been in several parties before, the difference in ideology is minimal, the exception being the Democrats which has maintained the highest number of 'regulars'.

The number of executives bears no relation to their political activity, of the TRT 111 over 90 played little part in the party apart from financing and receiving financial benefits.

TRT were banned because some of those executives deliberately broke important laws with impunity and the evidence was compelling. The court's ruling was based on law, ie no-one is above the law and is a warning to future parties thinking along the same lines.

A great day for Thailand and the rule of law.