Giant centipedes

lemonjelly

10 minutes ago, bbko said:

I've caught some now and again on those rat glue traps, but mostly if/when I come across one in the garden I'll just smash it with a shovel or hoe.  I don't want my dogs or anyone in my garden getting a bite from one of those bad boys.

I’ll try the glue traps, seems like not too much hassle. I’m terrified of the things, more so than snakes for some weird reason. 

15 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Our chooks and guinea fowl keep the creepy crawlies down nicely, even the big centipedes don't last long with a determined chicken on each end ???? 

And they lay delicious eggs too ???? 

If the glue traps don’t work, this might be an option, although Mrs lemonjelly isn’t into the idea of keeping chooks . Will I have to build a hen house for them?

Edited by lemonjelly

On 9/18/2021 at 9:00 PM, Crossy said:

Our chooks and guinea fowl keep the creepy crawlies down nicely, even the big centipedes don't last long with a determined chicken on each end ???? 

And they lay delicious eggs too ???? 

Yeah...chooks and geese are good for what ails ya - and the property. 

14 hours ago, Zyte said:

Has anyone first hand experience of being stung by one of these things

Yup - I saw one about 4” long and gave it a pass, it slithered away somewhere.

A couple of mins later, I’m watering the spinach and I feel something on my ankle, it’s the little <deleted> hanging on for dear life.

I made it to the house but the pain was almost instantaneous, and I’m trying to explain to the wife that I have been bitten by a centipede, but I don’t know the thai name, at the same time, although I’m standing, I’m also hanging onto the sofa to keep upright. It really knocked the wind out of me. 

Wife made a poultice of lemon juice and bicarbonate of soda or baking soda (?) which kind of worked but had very little effect for more than 10 seconds, I was in tears.

I managed to calm down and get into bed, but it’s easily the most painful thing to endure, a steering, stabbing, throbbing pain in my ankle, there was no relief.

I couldn’t sleep, couldn't walk, couldn’t watch TV - I think I finally fell asleep at around daybreak, so, around 6-8 hours of agony. I tried ice and putting my for in a shower, the relief lasted for a matter of seconds.

The next day I was immobilized and had trouble walking, like a couple of pins in my ankle, and over the course of the the next week a big abscess appeared where the venom from the two pinpricks had burned away a cavity under the skin.

I know a diving instructor who had been bitten on two different occasions inside his wetsuit and went to hospital, ended up with blood transfusions - I’m not too sure if that’s necessary, a costly procedure.

Edited by recom273