Jog/Jok Porridge Restaurants in CM

stament

I have to check if she is still there or not, I just moved back, but best Khao Tom I used to get a few years ago, was at a cart in the evenings on the road in front of Raumchok Market. (1001 Phrao MaeJo Rd at middle ring road, next to Meechok Plaza). 

Please share location details of the two you know about. Don

23 hours ago, drtreelove said:

Plaza 89, Nong Hoi opposite side of the road to Bangkok Bank, Lanna Jok (or Jok Lanna).  It's a small temporary place beside the road with chairs and tables, you can't miss it.

I tried to add the google maps link here but Thaivisa doesn't allow it - it says the API project is not authorised to use this API whatever that means - question for the mods I guess.

I hope this helps.

Jok Somphet you can google on google maps.

On 9/21/2021 at 8:26 AM, bamboozled said:

https://www.facebook.com/santithambreakfast

In Santitham, the jok is awesome. Can get it with fish, too, my favorite. Gong and his wife are great.

They used to be at the roundabout area and was quite popular. But their prices are more expensive than others like Jok Somphet.

Edited by EricTh

On 9/21/2021 at 7:51 AM, drtreelove said:

I have to check if she is still there or not, I just moved back, but best Khao Tom I used to get a few years ago, was at a cart in the evenings on the road in front of Raumchok Market. (1001 Phrao MaeJo Rd at middle ring road, next to Meechok Plaza). 

FYI, Khao Tom is not the same as Jok.

16 minutes ago, EricTh said:

They used to be at the roundabout area and was quite popular. But their prices are more expensive than others like Jok Somphet.

Quite popular because delicious. Landlord bumped the rent way up and forced them out thus the move just down the street. I'm not sure about the prices between the two rest. but if it's true, the difference is what, 5 or 10 baht? Their jok is far better than Jok Somphet, in my opinion. Somphet is watery. Santitham Breakfast is thick and rich. And the people are lovely, family run place. Did you ever even get a smile at Jok Somphet? Yes, I am partial to the place because of a longstanding relationship of sorts I have with the owners but that aside, their food is really nice and the atmosphere of the place, too. The other offerings are also quite good and if you want a farang brekkie they can do that, too. That Vietnamese breakfast at the top of their FB page is tasty.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Quite popular because delicious. Landlord bumped the rent way up and forced them out thus the move just down the street. I'm not sure about the prices between the two rest. but if it's true, the difference is what, 5 or 10 baht? Their jok is far better than Jok Somphet, in my opinion. Somphet is watery. Santitham Breakfast is thick and rich. And the people are lovely, family run place. Did you ever even get a smile at Jok Somphet? Yes, I am partial to the place because of a longstanding relationship of sorts I have with the owners but that aside, their food is really nice and the atmosphere of the place, too. The other offerings are also quite good and if you want a farang brekkie they can do that, too. That Vietnamese breakfast at the top of their FB page is tasty.

I used to eat my Jok breakfast at the old Santhitam shop just before I go to my 'learn Thai classes' at YMCA nearby. I didn't know the reason that they moved out was because of the higher rental.

The price at the old shop used to be comparable to Jok Somphet back then. How much is one bowl of Jok now?  It's certainly not a 5 baht difference now.

I can't deny that it is more delicious than Jok Somphet though. The workers at Jok Somphet are mostly from Myanmar.

Edited by EricTh

4 hours ago, stament said:

Plaza 89, Nong Hoi opposite side of the road to Bangkok Bank, Lanna Jok (or Jok Lanna).  It's a small temporary place beside the road with chairs and tables, you can't miss it.

There are also two Jok shops on Suthep Road (near the junction at Nimman Road) that I found. You have to google it because I can't remember the name of the shops.

Edited by EricTh
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

I used to eat my Jok breakfast at the old Santhitam shop just before I go to my 'learn Thai classes' at YMCA nearby. I didn't know the reason that they moved out was because of the higher rental.

The price at the old shop used to be comparable to Jok Somphet back then. How much is one bowl of Jok now?  It's certainly not a 5 baht difference now.

I can't deny that it is more delicious than Jok Somphet though. The workers at Jok Somphet are mostly from Myanmar.

Me, too! I lived very close to YMCA for 4 years and frequented the shop often. Now, I live a bit further away so don't get there as much BUT our posts here inspired me to go for lunch today. I did not bring my phone to take pics of my BEAUTIFUL fish and shrimp pii-set jok with two eggs but it was divine. 3 big shrimp, a plethora of white snapper (as they reference it), thick/rich jok, and a sprinkling of ginger and spring onion on top. And the aforementioned 2 soft-boiled eggs. It was wonderful. The cost for that was 105 baht. But a regular size jok with pork dumplings is only 35 baht. I don't think that's more than Somphet and either way pretty darn cheap. You can add egg, pork, chicken, fish, shrimp, fish and shrimp, crispy pork, innards....you name it. Gong and wife (forgot her name) were as friendly and welcoming as ever. They are just really good people that care about their rest. and customers. Awesome.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Me, too! I lived very close to YMCA for 4 years and frequented the shop often. Now, I live a bit further away so don't get there as much BUT our posts here inspired me to go for lunch today. I did not bring my phone to take pics of my BEAUTIFUL fish and shrimp pii-set jok with two eggs but it was divine. 3 big shrimp, a plethora of white snapper (as they reference it), thick/rich jok, and a sprinkling of ginger and spring onion on top. And the aforementioned 2 soft-boiled eggs. It was wonderful. The cost for that was 105 baht. But a regular size jok with pork dumplings is only 35 baht. I don't think that's more than Somphet and either way pretty darn cheap. You can add egg, pork, chicken, fish, shrimp, fish and shrimp, crispy pork, innards....you name it. Gong and wife (forgot her name) were as friendly and welcoming as ever. They are just really good people that care about their rest. and customers. Awesome.

I don't remember they had any fish or shrimp when I ate there at the old shop, it was mostly pork.

11 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Did you ever even get a smile at Jok Somphet?

Somphet was by far and away the worst service and rudest staff I have encountered in CM. Used to love their chicken in gravy style dishes with crispy bai makroud, quite remarkable, but haven't been in years now............................

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bojo said:
12 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Did you ever even get a smile at Jok Somphet?

Somphet was by far and away the worst service and rudest staff I have encountered in CM. Used to love their chicken in gravy style dishes with crispy bai makroud, quite remarkable, but haven't been in years now............................

Same here I put up with the surly service for years because of the 'Gai Ob' and Jok but after they moved a few doors away it went downhill and pricey fast have'nt been back

• Like 1

20 hours ago, EricTh said:

FYI, Khao Tom is not the same as Jok.

Yes, you're right, there are some big differences and there are variations, depending on whose terms are used and who is cooking. I would value your opinion and that of others.  

From my experience of common Thai use is that jok (Cantonese word for rice porridge, Congee term is Portugese origin I believe) is cooked with cracked rice, and Khao Tom with whole rice.  Thai jok or khao tom usually is cooked with plain water, although the better tasting and possibly heathier versions use a rich soup stock. Jok has ingredients cooked into the mix, and khao tom I believe traditionally the ingredients are served as condiments on the side. 

When I studied TCM and Chinese dietary medicine, we leaned to use congee with various ingredients as medicine for specific health conditions, like a home cooking version of herbal medicine. Whole rice was used with chicken, fish or pork bone-ginger soup stock, and the ingredients cooked into the porridge. Ratio was 8:1 water to rice or more and cooking time was extended until the rice was as smooth as Thai jok. Medicinal effects were oriented to correcting body heat and cold conditions, dry and damp, yin and yang balance and 5 elements. 

One reason that I prefer the whole rice kernal preparation, is that cracked rice although it cooks easily and has the smooth texture that is desired, is more prone to oxidation and loss of nutrients and vitality, depending on length and method of storage and preparation. 

12 hours ago, Mickeem said:

Same here I put up with the surly service for years because of the 'Gai Ob' and Jok but after they moved a few doors away it went downhill and pricey fast have'nt been back

The staff there are lowly paid Myanmar workers who work long hours, you don't expect them to smile in that condition. That's why the prices are cheap.

• Like 2