Will Thailand's Vaccine Passport Book be recognized in other countries?

edwarda909

My plan this week was to followup on the question of validity of passport books/certificates issued in Thailand for use overseas, specifically those vaccines not authorized in the US (Here you can substitute your own country.) by contacting the consulate here in Chiang Mai. I understood they would not have the answer but would involve contacting the appropriate regulatory agency in America. But today, Monday in the US, The Washington Post published an article today basically saying, We don’t know yet.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/travel-ban-us-europe/2021/09/20/d78b5aae-1a22-11ec-bcb8-0cb135811007_story.html?utm_campaign=wp_to_your_health&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_tyh&wpmk=1&pwapi_token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJjb29raWVuYW1lIjoid3BfY3J0aWQiLCJpc3MiOiJDYXJ0YSIsImNvb2tpZXZhbHVlIjoiNWU4ZTc3Y2VhZGU0ZTI1NzM1YWVjODY1IiwidGFnIjoiNjE0OGVlNmM5ZDJmZGE5ZDQxZDk3YzcxIiwidXJsIjoiaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cud2FzaGluZ3RvbnBvc3QuY29tL3dvcmxkL2V1cm9wZS90cmF2ZWwtYmFuLXVzLWV1cm9wZS8yMDIxLzA5LzIwL2Q3OGI1YWFlLTFhMjItMTFlYy1iY2I4LTBjYjEzNTgxMTAwN19zdG9yeS5odG1sP3V0bV9jYW1wYWlnbj13cF90b195b3VyX2hlYWx0aCZ1dG1fbWVkaXVtPWVtYWlsJnV0bV9zb3VyY2U9bmV3c2xldHRlciZ3cGlzcmM9bmxfdHloJndwbWs9MSJ9.k1_GqYeiX3nqtegGA93IOl8FqfIodGQRYL_A00460fY

From the article-  “The process and means for travelers to demonstrate vaccination status will be released by early November when this plan begins to be implemented,” White House spokesman Kevin Munoz said via email.   
It also is not clear whether vaccines that have not been authorized in the United States, such as the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot or vaccines made by China and Russia, will be accepted. That will be determined when the details of the new rules are hammered out by federal agencies, White House aides said. Aides signaled Monday they would continue imposing new rules until the pandemic is beaten back.

For my upcoming trip to Canada I just have to upload proof of my qualified vaccination onto the ArrivCan app that is filled in and submitted before I travel. The one supplied by the MORPROM app is suitable. Also required on the arrival app are my negative PCR test within 72 hours and my flight details. On arrival in Canada they can just check my uploaded information and good to go.

Pfizer, Moderna, J&J, Astra Zeneca, only

• Like 2

19 hours ago, edwarda909 said:

It also is not clear whether vaccines that have not been authorized in the United States, such as the Oxford-AstraZeneca shot or vaccines made by China and Russia, will be accepted. That will be determined when the details of the new rules are hammered out by federal agencies, White House aides said.

Since CDC will accept all WHO-authorized vaccines for immigrants entering the US, it seems virtually certain that the same will apply to nonimmigrants once the requirement goes into effect, but of course we won't know for certain until it's officially announced.

"The COVID-19 vaccines approved for use in these Technical Instructions, hereinafter referred to as “approved COVID-19 vaccines,” are those vaccines authorized for emergency use (EUA) by the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) or listed for emergency use (EUL) by the World Health Organization (WHO) (see “Status of COVID-19 Vaccines within WHO EUL/PQ evaluation process”)."

https://www.cdc.gov/immigrantrefugeehealth/panel-physicians/covid-19-technical-instructions.html

• Like 1

I don't think the UK recognises any vaccine certification from Thailand yet.  Indians are up in arms that their certificates are not recognised even those who had Indian AZ which was also imported and used in the UK.  They started recognising certifications only from Europe and the US.  I think they are slowly getting around to other countries.  I don't think Chinese vaccines or Sputnik will ever count as vaccines in the UK or US though. 

21 hours ago, Uroller said:

Just go into the States through the Mexican border, no vaccines or health restrictions not even drug restrictions………happy days????

The US hasn't opened the Mexican border or the  Canadian border yet, they have extended the closure for another month,

4 hours ago, dsj said:

The US hasn't opened the Mexican border or the  Canadian border yet, they have extended the closure for another month,

Mexican border in California and Texas is wide open it’s a disaster but FakeNews won’t tell you that. US has no idea who is entering and no vaccine no mask = no problem????

• 2 weeks later...

Australia today has announced that it now recognizes Sinovac and Indian-made AZ (Covishield) for incoming travellers when Oz opens up for international travel (expected 1 Nov).

Other vaccines (Sinopharm & Sputnik) are awaiting data becoming available.

The main problem in 'Western' countries certifying the Chinese & Russian vaccines has been reluctance of the manufacturers to reply required data.  No data, no progress.

• Like 1

I don't know about the usa, but the EU doesn't recognise any vax applied in thailand, that includes pfizer, imported to thailand AZ from korea, japan, uk or j&j imported by french.

So this passport book, and especially in hard copy version, might be of little use to foreign states, because it's impossible to check validity through electronic means.

I think only Switzerland would recognise thai issued certificate and pass. They would also accept mix and match.

I don't have the first hand experience yet, but as soon as thailand opens a bit more in november, I am going to do short european break

• Confused 1