Phuket Sandbox - return flight required?

I have two British friends, both in their 80's, who stay in Thailand for 6-8 months a year usually.

They have booked into Phuket Sandbox flying UK/Singapore/Phuket landing on 16th October for 14 days quarantine.

One has messaged me to say they expected a 45 day visa and had to show return flights before their 45 days expired so they bought a return which they won't use on the 42nd day. Now the Thai authorities has changed the 45 days to 30 days from 1st October so their return flights will now be after their visa expired so they are upset that now they have to buy another flight out of Thailand. After they leave Phuket they would change their visa to a retirement visa with an agent (at least the one staying 8+ months will, not sure about the other one)

2 questions for those with the knowledge, Do they really need to show a return flight within 30 days? If they do need a flight (which they won't use) can they just buy the cheapest ticket out of Thailand to say Cambodia for around 5,000 Baht?

All replies appreciated, I'm only the middleman here and due to the time difference and the fact he's 82, replies from him if I need further details can be sporadic!

39 minutes ago, MajorTom said:

Its a common misunderstanding that you are required to have a return ticket if you don't have a visa.

Whats actually required is an ONWARD ticket.

The problem is that embassies and consulates have a habit of using return instead of onward or a ticket out of the country when writing the requirements.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

The problem is that embassies and consulates have a habit of using return instead of onward or a ticket out of the country when writing the requirements.

Yeah, certain airlines can also be confused with this. Although i have never experienced or heard of anyone being denied boarding when producing an onward ticket.

If someone is really worried about this, Its yet another reason to use a site like onwardticket. You can pick and choose whatever destination you want, and it doesn't seem to affect the price.

• Like 2

So has anyone you know successfully used 'Onward Ticket'? 

I just tried an example BKK to Phonm Penh in November and it came up 12 Euros (not dollars) which is about 500 Baht.

I think they have both already paid for a return to London which they had no intention of using and are a bit peeved if they think they have to buy another within the period of their visa which they won't use. However, 12 Euros or whatever will be music to their ears ! 

Thanks.

Edit, not sure about any full or partial refunds on their return ticket, their outward journey is with Singapore Airlines.

Edited by YorkshireTyke
addition

8 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

So has anyone you know successfully used 'Onward Ticket'?

I used it myself recently. I actually paid a bit extra for 2 weeks validity (29USD total) since i used it for my COE application, and i wanted it to remain valid at flight check-in.

• Like 2

Oh!  Will I need an onward ticket for my COE?  I think usually I could probably just buy a single. I have a reentry visa for my extension of stay + o visa based on retirement.

My second question is whether "renting" an outward ticket could allow someone to skimp on covid insurance?  (though not sure if I would risk it).  By only buying insurance to the fake date of exit. Maybe 3 months instead of 6.

3 hours ago, 234872_1469957439 said:

Oh!  Will I need an onward ticket for my COE?  I think usually I could probably just buy a single. I have a reentry visa for my extension of stay + o visa based on retirement.

My second question is whether "renting" an outward ticket could allow someone to skimp on covid insurance?  (though not sure if I would risk it).  By only buying insurance to the fake date of exit. Maybe 3 months instead of 6.

If you have a reentry permit you do not require onward ticket.

Insurance has nothing to do with how long you actually stay. It needs to cover the date you will be stamped into Thailand. In your case expiry of your reentry permit.

In case of someone coming for example on tourist visa it would need to be 60 days even if you were only staying 3 weeks.

Edited by DrJack54
  • Thanks 1

Thanks MT and UJ, I have passed your info on. I was under the impression they had paid for a UK return ticket but he mentioned the option of buying a ticket to Vietnam for around 100 GBP. I can see why they are miffed as if they have to buy another one that is around an extra 200 quid wasted.

A tourist visa of 60 days is mentioned above, how come their visas were only 45 days now reduced to 30? If they had a 60 day visa they wouldn't need to buy extra flights.

8 minutes ago, YorkshireTyke said:

A tourist visa of 60 days is mentioned above, how come their visas were only 45 days now reduced to 30? If they had a 60 day visa they wouldn't need to buy extra flights.

A tourist visa has to be applied for at a embassy or consulate. And some embassies require a ticket out of the country to apply for it.

The entered without a visa and got visa exempt entry.

• Like 1