Electrical costs for a 2 bedroom duplex

Nickisch

Hi all,

We are currently looking for a condo but having a hard time estimating the electrical costs of the duplex. Most of the time we will be at home, so 2 AC's will be running constantly. Normally I would put an AC at 26 and that would be enough. But this space is 4,4m high which makes it harder to guess the electric costs to see if the condo fits our budget. 

This is the condo:

https://www.ddproperty.com/property/ให้เช่า-siamese-สุขุมวิท-48-ขนาด-53-ตร-ม-duplex-2-ห้องนอน-เฟอร์นิเจอร์และเครื่องใช้ไฟฟ้าครบ-ราคาเช่าเพียง-35-000-พร้อมเข้าอยู่-ให้เช่า-8741576

Can anyone estimate the costs?

Also very important to find out exactly how much per kWh you have to pay at this property.  If your bill passes through the management, it might double or triple compared to the direct price from PEA.  In my building, everyone pays 8 / kWh added onto the monthly rent.  I don't know how much of that 8 baht the owner pays to PEA.  I've seen detached houses in the area pay 3 baht per kWh.  

Edited by captainjackS
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

I don't know how much of that 8 baht the owner pays to PEA.  I've seen detached houses in the area pay 3 baht per kWh.  

Roughly ½ is to the PEA it’s also illegal to charge you 8 Baht but they will continue until challenged and probably beyond. Nobody pays 3 Baht per kWh 

0FD99539-4217-4E95-AEB6-8DA49E68105A.thumb.jpeg.120bfaf9ddd6ef97579cde260e64d9af.jpeg

• Like 1

thank you@sometimewoodworker for the chart.  I just checked the bill at gf's house and it was 311.33 baht for 94 kWh.  Average of 3.3 ฿ / kWh.  So it is higher than my quick mental-math estimate of 3 ฿ -- but not nearly as high as the 8 ฿ i pay at the apartment.  I have heard that this practice of reselling electricity to tenants for profit is illegal in many cases, but it is standard practice in Chiang Mai and difficult to avoid.  That said, the OP should be careful to consider the actual price per kWh unit at each property when comparing budgets.

Edited by captainjackS

16 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

thank you@sometimewoodworker for the chart.  I just checked the bill at gf's house and it was 311.33 baht for 94 kWh.  Average of 3.3 ฿ / kWh.  So it is higher than my quick mental-math estimate of 3 ฿ -- but not nearly as high as the 8 ฿ i pay at the apartment.  I have heard that this practice of reselling electricity to tenants for profit is illegal in many cases, but it is standard practice in Chiang Mai and difficult to avoid.  That said, the OP should be careful to consider the actual price per kWh unit at each property when comparing budgets.

The low rate is up to 150 units per month, after that it goes up to just over Bht 4. as shown on the tariff shown above.

35 minutes ago, captainjackS said:

As you can see taking the total charge and  dividing by kWh to get the average isn’t really of much benefit, in fact your GF may be only just above the threshold for free electricity. The free threshold was 50 units went up to 90 then 150 and has dropped again, I don’t know if it’s at 90 or back to 50 now.

https://eservice.pea.co.th/EstimateBill/#

Our bills have run from low of 1300 to 2800.   Townhouse (middle) w/ one 9000 BTU running about 16 hrs a day, 2 frdges (mediums size), 2 fans, 1 hot water heater(3500w), basic small kitchen appliances.  Electric (70L)  counter top oven, but rarely used.  No water  pump as city water has good pressure.

On 9/23/2021 at 12:15 PM, captainjackS said:

Also very important to find out exactly how much per kWh you have to pay at this property.  If your bill passes through the management, it might double or triple compared to the direct price from PEA.  In my building, everyone pays 8 / kWh added onto the monthly rent.  I don't know how much of that 8 baht the owner pays to PEA.  I've seen detached houses in the area pay 3 baht per kWh.  

Last I heard that is now illegal.