Lunch Buffet Opinion.

On the spur of the moment, I went into the Novel yesterday, for a lunch buffet. My thoughts were:-

Price = 850 baht. One buffet, one beer. Perhaps a bit expensive for what I got (with regard to quality of food.)

The staff were nice and very attentive.

The setting was fine. A little bit tacky perhaps - very 4 star hotel.

The selection was average. Not big, but had most of the things that you'd expect. It was smaller than I thought it would be.

The food was OK. But I wouldn't return.

I liked; the parma ham and smoked salmon were nice. The freshly cooked pasta dish was nice. The blueberry crumble was good (although no custard).

I didn't like; the meat, and main courses generally. They were cold and dry. More like a canteen than a good restaurant. The lamb and beef were both cold, over cooked, and even with the source, tasted too dry.

A few people had told me good things about this hotel, and I expected better. It certainly wasn't bad, but I've had better buffets at average hotels (the amari's had better buffets, although I haven't been for a while).

I'd expect better from a five star hotel, but then the price wasn't high, so I suppose that you get what you paid for.

What lunch buffet would you suggest?

Howdy,

The best food I have ever ate in the world was at the Daiichi Japanese Buffet Restaurant at the Emerald Hotel. I think it was 1500 baht last year. Live seafood, sushi and other dishes I have never seen or tasted before. I know my wifes Mom would freak if she ever knew we spent 3000 baht for one meal in Thailand :o Really the best food I ever ate in the world and well worth the price. Go early and stay late :D .

The Emerald Hotel

Address: 99/1 Ratchadapisek Road, Ratchadapisek Road,

Din Daeng, Bangkok 10400. Thailand

Chung *j*

Cafe G at Holiday Inn near Ploenchit.

Really great lunch buffet and not that expensive, about 500 baht or less even I think.

Has many sorta specialized "sections"

Italian with make your own pasta with pesto or tomato or cream etc., Indian section with chicken or lamb curry etc., japanese section, dessert section, carvery section with roast pork or whatever, .... the list goes on.

This thing posted on their website is really true:

"A Modern "Market Style" all day dining outlet offering Chinese Wok cuisine, Indian Tandoori, Eurasian, Salad Bar and Dessert Stations. Open kitchens and visual cooking add to the enjoyment by way of visual interaction."

Really hip and cool interior too. Not like those crummy old-fashioned interior designs that holiday inns used to have in the 80s and 90s.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/en/hotel/BKKPC/dining

Edited by junkofdavid2

If you're looking for a good top end buffet, try the Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit. Their dinner buffet is 990 baht and their lunch buffet is a bit cheaper. Saturday night is best when they have a slightly wider selection than other days. All of the 5 star hotels (and no way would I class Novotel Siam Square as 5 star) have very good buffets but for me the Sheraton is hard to beat. I have not tried the Oriental - it looks great - but it is almost twice the price of the buffet at the Sheraton which makes it way out of my budget

I have repeat experience with most of them.

I would say that the Oriental probably can score number one. It is owesome!

Next to this the Sheraton and the Marriott on sukhumvit would probably score a good number two. The Plaza Athenee is quite impressive also.

One of my favorites with respect to price/quality is the Pathumwan Princess at MBK with wide choice and affordable. Also good choice in a similar category is the Holiday Inn Silom. This Restaurant there has been completely renovated and offers now cooking islands. Also the Grand Sukhumvit by Novotel (soi 6) has great cooking and some surprising dishes on it's wide buffet. Worth a try. My food experience with Novotel (not only in Thailand) has generally been deceptive. Grand Sukh would then be the exception.

working in the industry I will not offer my opinion regarding which is the best, however, the Plaza Athenne would hardly be 'quite impressive'. It is small and simple. Pastries are simple, ie cut from a slab, not individual. Not that I am complaining, but there are better options for the money (all around 800-850 baht). Simple fact of a buffet, the more people who eat there, the bigger the selection will be.

While I don't like buffets per se, I would stay at a five star level as they are the ones that offer the imported items. If you don't pay that money you get local beef, fish, cheese, etc. All of which is ok, but you get a better value for money regarding a lunch out.

PM me and I will give my suggestions, as I have been to almost every five star hotel in bkk.

• 4 weeks later...

Marriot Spa (Riverside) has (had ?) a reasonable evening buffet with all manner of meats, BBQ, seafood etc. Not bad.

Breakfast however at the Marriott (JW as well) is a different affair. Totally awesome and well worth the cost (circa Bt650).

others have already posted some of these..but I will still say the following:

Sunday brunch at Sheraton Grande on Sukhumvit

Lunch at Plaza Athenee was good, but Landmark would be better (considering price was slightly cheaper)

Indian buffet Sunday lunch at Rang Mahal, Rembrandt -- this hotel is what I consider reasonable...price....good service....great location...has many restuarants...including good indian, a mexican place that can be fun on some evenings...and a nice little italian by the pool

(and no I dont work for them :o)

Sukhothai lunch buffet is also pretty good.

For Chinese dim-sum lunch buffet try the Arnoma Hotel...nothing exceptional....but quite a variety for the price you pay.....and if entertaining guests...it can look impressive...cos they serve u on table without u needing to walk around to buffet layout