Unique To Thailand

marginline

Thinking about how wonderful Thai food tastes here in LOS (compared to a large number of supposed Thai restaurants in the UK or US), can someone tell me please whether there are any herbs and spices that are unique to Thailand that may account for this? :o

I have never been able to find Galangal at the asian markets here in Boston, USA. I did find it in LA and on the internet. Also, Morning Glory (pad pak bung) is a rarity. The garlic used in Thailand is very different from the stuff we get over here. Thai garlic is tiny and the skin is left on when cooking.

I have never been able to find Galangal at the asian markets here in Boston, USA. I did find it in LA and on the internet. Also, Morning Glory (pad pak bung) is a rarity. The garlic used in Thailand is very different from the stuff we get over here. Thai garlic is tiny and the skin is left on when cooking.

I've seen galangal in Shaw's (Randolph) and Star Market (the one near BU?), within the last few years.

can also get fresh galangal at Kam Man in Quincy, the 88 in Quincy, the Super 88 in South Bay Plaza in Southie and the 88 on Herald Street in Boston

Some of it comes down to the freshness of the herbs and spices

In my opinion, you've hit the nail on the head here. And the freshness of the vegetables. etc.

I think some of it comes from the fact that the food you eat in the west, has been well, westernized.

I totally agree here also, however I have not lived in the West for many a year. But I am old enough to remember the so-called Chinese and Indian restaurants that were around in UK in the 70's which were so far removed from their original food styles as to be virtually western.

Howdy,

Kiffer lime leaves or "magoot" and Phraaaa....( fish in the jar) are two flavors I can think of. I don't like Phraaa but my wife and her friends love it in sumtom. Thailand is the only place I have ever seen fuzzy pork :o always wondered how the make made it. I've never been in Loas or Cambodia, I'm sure the use the same stuff over there.

Chung *j*