New countertops and shelving

HeijoshinCool

Looking to fabricate new counters for my kitchen. Also will make some pieces of furniture. I need sources for the following:

2cm plywood (preferred if stable quality), particle board, MDF or HDF;

Plastic laminate: Wilsonart, Formica, Nevamar; brand doesn't matter

Contact cement: Preferably in 5 gallon buckets, but gallons are fine.

Thanks.

I live in Trat, so Bangkok or south, please.

6 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Looking to fabricate new counters for my kitchen. Also will make some pieces of furniture. I need sources for the following:

2cm plywood (preferred if stable quality), particle board, MDF or HDF;

Plastic laminate: Wilsonart, Formica, Nevamar; brand doesn't matter

Contact cement: Preferably in 5 gallon buckets, but gallons are fine.

All of that is available in wood street Pracha Rat Sai  1, Soi 24, Bang Sue, Bangkok 10800, Thailand

This is just one of the shops the have the laminate in a wide variety of styles and colours 

CA2DBBAD-22A2-4992-A9C3-BC0322CD157E.thumb.png.4bc291c2994b24c9907a437f042881b2.png

A69DF639-DEE8-4845-850B-E4979CDB9257.thumb.png.5f0e16752559f43ef834a5d5f750c959.png

• Thanks 1

Further wood street is the only area that I have personally found a complete range of plywood from rubbish at under 500, OK at between 1,000 and 2,000 all the way to teak faced and cored Thai made that is somewhere north of 4,000 (all 20mm). They also have chipboard, OSB, MDF, and PVC board, I didn’t see HDF or MRMDF. I’ve used the PVC board to make the cabinets in our shower toilet on suite.

0F9353AD-F7D2-4254-A7B0-E6C2F27548AF.thumb.png.c5bd417feeccdaa4eb1670019f4d220d.png901F2BFC-E075-4DA0-B51C-37C1540D50FC.thumb.png.dc40c74902f6d043ded4135e82d160f3.png

the shop for the quality plywood 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

Just now, sometimewoodworker said:

Further wood street is the only area that I have personally found a complete range of plywood from rubbish at under 500, OK at between 1,000 and 2,000 all the way to teak faced and cored Thai made that is somewhere north of 4,000. They also have chipboard, OSB, MDF, and PVC board, I didn’t see HDF or MRMDF. I’ve used the PVC board to make the cabinets in our shower toilet on suite.

I'll be headed that way after ASQ.

Have a walk-in closet to build, too. Hope they will deliver to Trat with a substantial order....

11 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I'll be headed that way after ASQ.

Have a walk-in closet to build, too. Hope they will deliver to Trat with a substantial order....

They will deliver or arrange for delivery at your cost, though unless your closet is extremely large I don’t think they will consider it a substantial order ????. The better quality sheet goods are upstairs on the 1st floor. 

this only took 2 sheets for the frame, the drawers are taking more.54DE95CA-F13B-4DBA-964A-A39852E9BDAA.thumb.jpeg.8ea7ba49403416f871addeb8c1f53f40.jpeg

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, HeijoshinCool said:

I know about them....

What was your experience with them?

None - Our architect uses them for all his projects, he has good things to say about them. 

We need to go and see them in the next few months, once the architect has pulled his finger out. 

Have you heard any bad things? 

I saw some sample kitchen prices, per M and they seemed reasonable, they seem to have the experience and the know-how.

2 minutes ago, recom273 said:

None - Our architect uses them for all his projects, he has good things to say about them. 

We need to go and see them in the next few months, once the architect has pulled his finger out. 

Have you heard any bad things? 

I saw some sample kitchen prices, per M and they seemed reasonable, they seem to have the experience and the know-how.

Yeah, talked to  guy there about using their CNC to machine parts for my buddy's new house. Lots of work. Explained I had AutoCad drawings in both dwg and dxf formats. He had no idea what I was talking about. This is after getting handed off a few times to get to the "right" person.

Pretty simple stuff, too: machine to size, bore 5mm holes as drawn (dxfs will go directly to the CNC) edgeband marked edge, stack and ship. About 65 sheets of board.

He asked for a sample drawing, I sent him one. Never heard back.

So we're going to do it by hand. Both my friend's new house, and remodeling mine. Lots of time when you are retired....

They do have a professional looking website, though.

1 hour ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Yeah, talked to  guy there about using their CNC to machine parts for my buddy's new house. Lots of work. Explained I had AutoCad drawings in both dwg and dxf formats. He had no idea what I was talking about. This is after getting handed off a few times to get to the "right" person.

Pretty simple stuff, too: machine to size, bore 5mm holes as drawn (dxfs will go directly to the CNC) edgeband marked edge, stack and ship. About 65 sheets of board.

He asked for a sample drawing, I sent him one. Never heard back.

So we're going to do it by hand. Both my friend's new house, and remodeling mine. Lots of time when you are retired....

They do have a professional looking website, though.

I guess sometimes companies aren’t happy to do things out of their comfort zone. I had a pic of an IKEA sideboard, from Europe, really simple, a long box with two doors and  a cutlery drawer inside - I sent a pic to a handmade furniture company and asked for a price, sorry we can’t do that, we only do our designs .. the wife called and said “but you could quite easily make it” “sorry ..” 

• Like 1

@HeijoshinCool

Typical, the architect has a “built-in contractor - Not the company “the built” he has never dealt with them.

We called “the built” company today to arrange a meeting, the wife announced that we were after a kitchen which set me off - it’s not just a kitchen job. She spends 15 mins talking to the company, puts the phone down and tells me they only do kitchens. They can make a kitchen but aren’t interested in making a coordinating bed base or other furniture in the house. Waste of time.

I will speak to the architect and get the number of his guy if possible. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, recom273 said:

@HeijoshinCool

Typical, the architect has a “built-in contractor - Not the company “the built” he has never dealt with them.

We called “the built” company today to arrange a meeting, the wife announced that we were after a kitchen which set me off - it’s not just a kitchen job. She spends 15 mins talking to the company, puts the phone down and tells me they only do kitchens. They can make a kitchen but aren’t interested in making a coordinating bed base or other furniture in the house. Waste of time.

I will speak to the architect and get the number of his guy if possible. 

Well, I was a cop but owned a cabinet shop on the side for decades and I do understand getting out of one's wheelhouse. It's inevitably a money loser.

But that was before the advent of CNCs and if someone came to me with an AutoCad dwg of each part, where parts only needed to be machined to size, have some holes drilled, and edgebanded, I'd be all over it for the $$$.

I'd be interested in what you come up with.

15 hours ago, HeijoshinCool said:

Well, I was a cop but owned a cabinet shop on the side for decades and I do understand getting out of one's wheelhouse. It's inevitably a money loser.

But that was before the advent of CNCs and if someone came to me with an AutoCad dwg of each part, where parts only needed to be machined to size, have some holes drilled, and edgebanded, I'd be all over it for the $$$.

I'd be interested in what you come up with.

I managed a fabricating shop here for over twenty years that included a variety of CNC machines and doing one-offs for individuals is most always a loser, particularly for guys that think they know how quick, cheap and easy it is.

It generally turns into a nightmare. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

I managed a fabricating shop here for over twenty years that included a variety of CNC machines and doing one-offs for individuals is most always a loser, particularly for guys that think they know how quick, cheap and easy it is.

It generally turns into a nightmare. 

Yep, unless the customer has solid experience, has excellent drawings, pays up front and signs off agreeing to heavy change order fees, we'd send them packing. 

My foreman could determine whether this was likely, within 60 seconds or less of meeting the person. 

I was speaking to simple, rectangular parts of sufficient size for the vacuum to hold down without issues. Not complex shapes and tiny pieces. 

You and I both know what we're talking about and how to avoid the loser jobs. We also know how to recognize the profitable ones. 

Am in Krabi and bought some 20 mm plywood Saturday. Bt 850 per sheet, made in Vietnam, but rubbish. Looked OK on the outside but once I cut it open the delamination was obvious. It will do for the work bench top that I want, but not for qulaity work. They had one more sheet at just over Bt 1000 which may be better. Non-one understood Marine Ply, when my wife was talking to a couple of suppliers.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr B said:

Am in Krabi and bought some 20 mm plywood Saturday. Bt 850 per sheet, made in Vietnam, but rubbish. Looked OK on the outside but once I cut it open the delamination was obvious. It will do for the work bench top that I want, but not for qulaity work. They had one more sheet at just over Bt 1000 which may be better. Non-one understood Marine Ply, when my wife was talking to a couple of suppliers.

If the ply you got at 850 was that bad you are likely to need to pay well over 1,000 for a reasonable quality. I am paying 1,020 for AB grade that has few voids and no overlaps, but that is an unusually good price & in khon kaen. You are unlikely to find much outside Bangkok.

• Thanks 1