Thai girlfriend to Australia permenently

So I live in Thailand and am married. I have seen my Thai wife once in about 2.5 years as she left Thailand to work overseas. We're still on good terms and chat occasionally but she has a new guy and basically turned her back on me..

That's another story but I am hoping to get a divorce when she returns to Thailand for her holiday later this year.

I invested a lot into that relationship. I have never been a fan of the idea of marriage but at the time my understanding was it would make our future move to Australia easier. More specifically I read on Aus Imm website at the time that partner (marriage?) visas require you to have lived with your partner for 10 months prior to applying. We did that and also she visited Australia with me numerous times on tourist visas doing the rounds visiting family and friends.

Now I have a girlfriend. She's had a good stable job for awhile but we have none of the supporting evidence above. We don't live together and we're not married and have never travelled home to Oz together.

After 10 years in Thailand I am planning to move back to Australia next year. I'm ready to settle down there with a house and family etc and would like her to come but I find it a bit daunting.

Any tips on how to go about this? I really don't know where to start as we're not married or planning to be anytime soon..

Do I have to basically divorce then repeat the above process of marry, live together 10 months all over again?

Of course the covid thing probably complicates things although I did hear from a Thai girl I work with that processing of partner visas in Aus is basically unnafected. She has an Aussie bf and is doing a similar thing but i'm not sure how reliable her info is.

Thanks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, sikishrory said:

Now I have a girlfriend. She's had a good stable job for awhile but we have none of the supporting evidence above. We don't live together and we're not married and have never travelled home to Oz together.

Um, if your living here in Thailand, you could always say a few porkies, I don't think they would be none the wiser.

Make sure you take lots of photos together and have your stories straight, e.g. you met at, in, and then she moved into your place in so as to make your application a little easier, I don't think it will matter that her name isn't on anything etc.

The above said, if your not into taking risks/chances, which I'm not into, albeit it am steering you in that direction, then perhaps best go through a visa agent, it will cost, but they will know the best way to tackle this and you have less chances of F up, which could cost your application dearly.

If you weren't married back in Aus, I don't think you will have to divorce here, depending on your type of marriage here, village or Bangkok.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 3:12 PM, sikishrory said:

Do I have to basically divorce then repeat the above process of marry, live together 10 months all over again?

Basically yes.!

Although you can do it defacto, no need to marry.

Think it's 12 months now, not 10 but I'll stand corrected.

Usual reams of paperwork, it's a bit of a pa lava..!.
Starting with tourist/student visa.

Expect it to take 3 or so years and about $20k.

While you can apply for a partnership visa on the basis of a de facto relationship, I can't remember if the time together is one or two years. No doubt the application form and accompanying guide has this information..

It would be best to be divorced before making an application. You can engage a reputable agent (Thai) in Australia to put together all the basic paperwork. You will need evidence that you and your girlfriend have lived together as man and wife for whatever period you are together in Thailand.

At least 4 months before you go to Australia you should help your wife apply for a 12 month tourist visa. I am not sure how Covid complicates this process. It would obviously be better to wait until next year when things may be normal.

Most tourist visas issued to Thais nowadays are for a total of 12 months (with a maximum stay in Australia at any one time of 3 months).

Obviously if you and your wife can travel together to Australia you can log up at least another 3 months living together as man and wife.

You will have a better chance if you can log 2 years living together as a de facto couple.

You girlfriend's Australian tourist visa may have a condition to the effect that she cannot apply for partnership status while in Australia. In which case she will have to make her application in Thailand.

However, if the visa does not have this condition, she may be able to while she is in Australia. I know of one case where this happened last year. The thing is, the day her partner application is accepted (and she has paid the fee), her tourist visa will change to a bridging visa with the same terms as a partner visa, until a decision is made on her partner application. This means she will be free to stay in Australia with you, get Medicare, legally work etc. 

It might take a year for a decision to be made, but that doesn't matter. The trick is get her to Australia. It is much easier to stay if she can make her application in Australia. Of course you will continue living with her so, by the time decision time comes around, you should have been living together for several years and can easily prove your relationship.

On her tourist visa application it is ok to say that you will help and support her while she is in Australia. But you cannot say (and it is irrelevant for a tourist visa) that you intend to live together and get married etc. etc. You need to work out a little itinerary for her to visit your family, visit holiday destinations etc. The purpose of the visit is for her to see something of your home country and to take a break and holiday together. Any possibility of marriage is a long way down the track.

She needs to meet the tourist visa criteria on her own (essentially that she will return to Australia after her tourist visit). She will need at least 75,000 Baht in the bank, and/or evidence of family, employment or some other factors why she will need to return to Thailand. A Thai agent can advise on this. Money in her bank account is very important. They don't check how long the money is in her account these days. It just needs to be parked for a day.

Don't be discourage if her first tourist visa application is knocked back. There will be a statement as to why it was knocked back. Just address/fix up the problem and make another application.

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Not done this myself but know a few fellas who've married Thai and Philippine and brought and attempted to bring women here. The process is, sorry to say convoluted and for all I have known torrid, and long. 

Do not attempt to distort, make up/concoct any part of your stories. Aussie Immigration are extremely thorough, and quite sneaky. They WILL find you out if you BS them. The interview/s and paperwork is anal on another universe level. There are no shortcuts and 'manoeuvres' IO don't know and see !

It takes some years to bring a wife here from Asian countries the exception (despite IO denying this) being if you are and they are very wealthy. The process of bringing a woman here, or fiance' then marrying her almost (I know of no exceptions in about a dozen cases of marriage to an Asian - and by a wide range of men form a variety of backgrounds and economics).

NOTE: despite the refutations to the contrary Australian immigration policies are not only extremely strict by world standards but racist to the core). Every process always entails a wife or prospective wife having to return to their home country (multiple visits) with specific waiting periods between these tourist visa visits without exception with no guarantee the next visit will be approved, making multiple visits here and then awaiting the decision to allow her to migrate and stay as your wife permanently mandatory, uncertain, prolonged, and emotionally, a roller-coaster ride

Marrying in Thailand in a civil, lawfully recognised, marriage and living together (proofs needed as others have mentioned) there for a year or so is your best bet, it will make the process far easier (especially since your history shows you've lived in LOS for ten years prior to marrying her which gives context to living a 'normal' life and gives credence to the development of a relationship over time and not flagging you to IO as a 'meal-ticket/patsy husband'. But, marriage in LOS will not guarantee you approval to bring her permanently.

Another critical criteria is you need to show you capacity to completely (literally everything) provide for her in every respect for many years (decades). IO will investigate her background without you knowing with a fine tooth comb. They will put you through a sieve too. They will talk to yours and her neighbours, bosses, employees, even the local gas station attendant, everyone etc. While being bureaucrats they are also excellent judges of the indicators of relational integrity. Good luck.

It doesn't surprise me to read how anal and racist the policies are in oz. 

You could not pay me to live there anymore. Complete nanny state

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Will27 said:

Unless this has recently been changed, there has never been a set amount of money needed for the applicant of a tourist visa.

Money in the bank helps but it doesn't have much weight placed on it if the trip is being funded by the partner.

If Immigration finds out the money has been "parked" for a day or two, this will be grounds a for refusal.

Just not worth the risk.

OP would be crazy not to apply for a tourist visa first IMO.

There is no set amount, but there seems to be a rule of thumb of about 20,000 per month. I was a bit surprised that they didn't check that money in the bank was seasoned, but that was the case last year. A Bangkok agent I have worked with was just arranging transfers to their applicant's bank accounts for one day, printing out the account and including with visa applications. It was never queried.

One applicant was knocked back on the grounds of insufficient funds to support her stay in Australia. She reapplied with money in the bank (for one day) and got her 12 month tourist visa. It had no conditions attached and she applied for her partner visa in Australia.

Obviously it is better to seed the money for three months before application, but not all applicants can do this.

• Like 1

Thai wife #1 dumps you for another guy and 2 1/2 years your still dragging that ball and chain. Now Thai girl #2 longs for the same escape from LOS but is in no hurry to wed? My advise is the Asian wife idea is and has cost you too much emotionally and financially and #2 seems like a clone of #1. Go home and find an Australian lady and stay single. Marriage sucks everywhere on the planet but necessary for raising kids IMO. In any case the definition of insanity is doing the same thing  over and over expecting a different result which is exactly what you are doing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Danger, danger... did you remember to switch on the bigger of your two brains?

Try to live with her for a few months first, and take her on a couple of extended visits to Australia. After that, you can start worrying about the rest.

Edited by arithai12

In the words of the George Harrison song......

But it's gonna take money
A whole lotta spendin' money
It's gonna take plenty of money
To do it right, child

It's gonna take time
Whole lot of precious time
It's gonna take patience and time, mmm
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right, child

I went through the Tourist then Marriage Visa process when this song was a hit!

It was much cheaper back then...  I do remember though giving them MUCH MORE paperwork than what they were asking. Every bit helps...  plus tell the truth!

PS  -  I hate all the pop-up ads and extra large text on this site now.  

3 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

To do it right, child

It's gonna take time
To do it right, child

It was much cheaper back then...  I do remember though giving them MUCH MORE paperwork than what they were asking. Every bit helps...  plus tell the truth!

Interesting. That was the late eighties. Are you still with that same lady from more than 30 years ago?

17 hours ago, Seeall said:

Better to stay single mate..... all my girls know where the door is when they start...... if married they have a hold on u.... stuff that

It never ceases to amaze me how so many "mature" ?? Guys, come to Thailand, then are soo desperate to get remarried after previous failures.. 

Why get get married??   It only creates future problems.. 

There are plenty of nice Thai ladies available.. 

No need to be desperate... 

7 hours ago, bangkok19 said:

To do it right, child

It's gonna take time
To do it right, child

I got residency in Brazil with my gf while I was still legally married in Florida. This was in 2014 and we had been together 10 years at the time. Brazil bases it on what they call ''stable union''. Quite simple, we show pics and emails along with bank accounts and house deed we own together. We actually went in front of a lady judge, just her, my gf and I in her office. Just sat and had a normal conversation, the judge asking us a few question. Very low key, a cool lady. I walked out with permanent residency. Brazilians are very cool and welcoming, the way it should be, one planet. The begging to get in here or there is BS.

22 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

There is no migration category to sponsor a GF for Australian residence.

You don't even begin to meet the requirements for a defacto partner visa for her.  Your still being married to someone else doesn't help either!

The only option is for her to apply to visit and hope she can apply to stay. 

Evidence of relationship (homeaffairs.gov.au)

There is the legal way following all the rules after interpreting them as to their meaning..then there is the expedient way by hiring someone skilled in the gray areas of the law and with palms to grease to look the other way.  Your post seems to be a fishing expedition looking for the easy/cheap way to get this done but it also shows how little you have done yourself in researching the options.  In this day where immigration both legal and illegal are on  the top the political lists in most developed countries, I'd say hire an expert or forget it.  Another route is to apply for a visa from an Australian favored nation country (if there are any) and go live there a year or so then apply for a visa into Australia.  Just a brainfart actually.

• Like 1

Thanks for the answers. There's a few things amongst it all that I will have a closer look at.

I did think to myself after writing this why I even posted it.

Tourist visas is the logical place to start as someone mentioned and I done it enough to realise the only thing they want to see is a load of cash somewhere.

The last trip I did with my wife we were both unemployed between jobs, she had little money but I had about 150k and it went through with no worries.

I think I will do that way

On 9/28/2021 at 8:31 PM, bbabythai said:

It doesn't surprise me to read how anal and racist the policies are in oz. 

You could not pay me to live there anymore. Complete nanny state

Your not wrong. This has been on my mind as well. I think the covid thing has highlighted the differences between policing in the states. I am hoping Queensland is a bit more relaxed than Victoria (for example) but yea I still have the doubt in my mind if I should even return.

The whole Thailand locking out longtime residents and retirees last year while allowing Thai citizens to return kind of got me thinking that it's just not a secure lifestyle in Thailand.

A retiree/foriegn worker, business owner who has a family and owns a home and has lived here for years can effectively just be locked out.

I don't know where is worse really.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, sikishrory said:

Your not wrong. This has been on my mind as well. I think the covid thing has highlighted the differences between policing in the states. I am hoping Queensland is a bit more relaxed than Victoria (for example) but yea I still have the doubt in my mind if I should even return.

The whole Thailand locking out longtime residents and retirees last year while allowing Thai citizens to return kind of got me thinking that it's just not a secure lifestyle in Thailand.

A retiree/foriegn worker, business owner who has a family and owns a home and has lived here for years can effectively just be locked out.

I don't know where is worse really.

hopefully this whole chinese virus <deleted> show is coming to an end by next yr. One can only hope that another virus is not created in a wet market thereby turning the world upside down and destroying peoples lives

21 hours ago, jazzdog32095 said:

I got residency in Brazil with my gf while I was still legally married in Florida. This was in 2014 and we had been together 10 years at the time. Brazil bases it on what they call ''stable union''. Quite simple, we show pics and emails along with bank accounts and house deed we own together. We actually went in front of a lady judge, just her, my gf and I in her office. Just sat and had a normal conversation, the judge asking us a few question. Very low key, a cool lady. I walked out with permanent residency. Brazilians are very cool and welcoming, the way it should be, one planet. The begging to get in here or there is BS.

There's your answer OP.   Forget about going home with your love, head to Brazil where some things are different!