Paradise Pizza

jed

Tried to resist responding, but couldn't. I have to add my 2 cents, regardless of the fact that I may leave myself open to that quick witted criticism so unique to this forum.

I remember when paradise opened, it was great having a place that stayed open late so when you came stumbling out of the irish, you could get your drunken a*s a slice - not a whole pie that some lovely thai bird probably misunderstood the order to - a slice. If that happens anywhere else in CM, please let me know. (Yeah, already know that spicy does it late night - where do you think they get it? Paradise!)

For someone to claim to be just passing through and go out of their way to criticize PP on this forum just seems a little one sided and somewhat calculated. Don't get me wrong, but honestly folks, sometimes the good people on this forum can attack like piranha with a few drops of blood in the water. (Case in point: looked up correct spelling of piranha because. . well, you know what I'm talking about.)

If you've been in Thailand for more than 3 days, you have had bad service (by western standards) and like any normal person, mouthed off to your friends about it. But on this forum, you can very well be messing with someone's livelihood. I'd like to know how many other places this guy has been and the quality of service and product at each. Laws of probability tell me that PP was probably not his only negative experience. C'mon - if you go to a farang restaurant here - it is not going to be 100% every time. I've been to duke's, benissimos, paradise, the irish, you name it - and there are times when they have all been fabulous, and there have been times. ... well, luck of the draw and that happens ANYWHERE. Of course, I will go back to each.

Besides, if the pizza is 'off' at PP, try the calzones - fresh and fabulous. Thanks Rick, I'll be back.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that their pizza is great, and I've eaten there quite a number of times.

I know the owner pretty well, and am really surprised to hear that he was not responsive to your feedback; I know him to be committed to great pizza, and caring about satisfying his customers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion on a restaurant, and ANY restaurant can screw up an order occasionally; but these types of comments can have a really negative impact on a business, and it bothers me when a person I know to be doing a good job, and working hard to make a good product, will be negatively affected by a comment such as this.

If you haven't tried Paradise Pizza, give it a try and make up your own mind, and anyways, how overpriced can a 39b slice of pizza really be?

John

John,

As you're blatantly plugging this place, could you please give us the address? This way as you say we can squandor our 39 Baht and make our own decision :o

I think that Paradise Pizza is OK, but the Duke's is much better if you like American style pizza.

IMHO, Pizza Hut and Pizza Company are better too, but you have to buy a whole pie. If I'm walking past Paradise, sometimes I'll pick up a few slices and don't feel dissapointed like many places. :o

I think that Paradise Pizza is OK, but the Duke's is much better if you like American style pizza.

IMHO, Pizza Hut and Pizza Company are better too, but you have to buy a whole pie. If I'm walking past Paradise, sometimes I'll pick up a few slices and don't feel dissapointed like many places. :o

UG is Paradise a roadside seller then? I thought it was a sit down or take away (for want of another word) normal shop. Do they sell by the pie or only the piece?

This is getting really complicated for something that really is only a slab of bread and covered in leftovers from the fridge.

CB

I just snack on two pieces so that I have enough energy to make it another block to Salsa Kitchen for ribs.

Paradise Pizza is a full service restaurant very close to the UN Irish pub with Italian meals and pizza by the slice.

They have a few decent deserts that no one else has too. :o

Since this looks like running and running I thought I'd have my shout.

I have met Rick once and he struck me as a very decent bloke working hard to produce a quality product. Down to individual choice but I really like Paradise Pizza (especially with the extra meatballs!) I have eaten there a few dozen times and only had one bad experience but that was with a takeaway that sat in the box while I drank copious quantities of beer so almost certainly my fault.

So decent pizza and worth giving a go.

As to Dukes I have never tried the pizza because I can't get past the steaks which are certainly the best in I have come across in town but I would be happy to try other recommendations for purveyors of good red meat.

Ciao

Since this looks like running and running I thought I'd have my shout.

You shouting? Ok way to go mate - I'll have a large beer Singha and a glass with ice thanks

I have met Rick once and he struck me as a very decent bloke working hard to produce a quality product. Down to individual choice but I really like Paradise Pizza (especially with the extra meatballs!) I have eaten there a few dozen times and only had one bad experience but that was with a takeaway that sat in the box while I drank copious quantities of beer so almost certainly my fault.

I find it difficult to believe that you would let a few beers get in the way of having a pizza :o

So decent pizza and worth giving a go.

As to Dukes I have never tried the pizza because I can't get past the steaks which are certainly the best in I have come across in town but I would be happy to try other recommendations for purveyors of good red meat.

Do you know when that slack owner of Tusker's is going to get his act together and put in a charcoal grill to do steaks?

:D

CB (hey how did Dorothy Dicks get into this forum?)

You shouting? Ok way to go mate - I'll have a large beer Singha and a glass with ice thanks
Done - got Aussie rules as well so you will be like a pig in ****
I find it difficult to believe that you would let a few beers get in the way of having a pizza :o

Priorities, priorities - humans can survive a long time without food but liquid refreshment is vital for life.

Do you know when that slack owner of Tusker's is going to get his act together and put in a charcoal grill to do steaks?

Would love to but have concerns about maintaining quality and freshness especially in the slack season. Got some plans for November though.

Edited by miltonbentley

i cant stand chang beer as well ..

At last a voice of reason. The one drink guaranteed to give me a headache before half a glass has been downed.

But don't those tight-fisted singlet wearing backpackers love the Chang? I wonder why?

And 65% of the Thai market ....

I like Paradise Pizza and think that it has improved since it's move from the tiny place by Heaven Beach to the current location on Ratchawithi Road. Is it the only place in town that does pizza by the slice? Seems like it is. Their chicken parmesan sandwich is good too.

Caught the surprising review of Paradise Pizza & had to respond: Someone has taken alot of time to complain about a slice of pizza if just passing through.

It pains me to write this as I have always tried to keep this part of Chiang Mai, Rathawitte Road a secret.

Have always enjoyed starting a Saturday night (during the football season) at Salsa Kitchen (in the collection of bamboo bars off of Soi 2, Rathawitte) great tasting,good value food. Once finished it's off to the U.N.Irish for the football and teasing the local football team Farangutans F.C.....finished off with slices of pizza (slices really are a rarity in CM) at Paradise Pizza.

I've done this for the past 3 seasons....and now that the football has finished...I thought I would visit a place that I only ever visited between 1am-2am, the much discussed Paradise Pizza...to try something else from the menu: the pasta.

Can only say that I wish I'd tryed the rest of the menu sooner. Cracking Fettuccini plus homemade garlic bread for 79 baht.

The Dukes is a fine place to eat and I can see what all the fuss is about. My question is what do you do after you've finished eating that is in walking distance?...Sweet FA.

How can you compare the two places anyway....different budgets.

It's like comparing the lagers Chang with Corona...you get what you pay for.

To whom ever owns or runs Paradise Pizza i am sorry about my "attack" on you last night in defending all the other farang restaurants including Dukes that you said were not up to your standards. Well i tried your Pizza tonight and it was Ok. My son liked it so he will be back. Good luck with your venture.

AT

The Dukes is a fine place to eat and I can see what all the fuss is about. My question is what do you do after you've finished eating that is in walking distance

I walk over the bridge and purchase DVDs at the Night Bazzar, then continue down to the Beer Bar Boxing stadium and then saunder down Loi Kroh Road. :o

Just came across The Flying Dutchman restaurant, on May 28th on my way back from the Post office, which serves an excellent pepperoni pizza: large 200B, about 10 inches. Can't comment on their other pizzas, but this was truly really good. Located half-way between AUA and Wat Phra Singh on the S side beside the boarded-up antique Thai house and courtyard where I believe I use to enjoy pizza at the original La Villa. A pizza lover, I'll be returning.

BTW, first went to the Duke's several months ago as a result of the ruckus you all had then: tried their pizza: for the money-big, served on a banged-up aluminum pan, was OK but the bottom of the crust retained the taste of the veg oil or whatever. I return to the Duke's for I enjoy the ambiance and their tasty meals, but not their pizza.

I like the Pizza co. because their pies are thick and delicious and they deliver :o

I've tried the Dukes and some others, only to be dissapointed with their pies, mostly because they're thin...

I like the Pizza co. because their pies are thick and delicious and they deliver :D

I've tried the Dukes and some others, only to be dissapointed with their pies, mostly because they're thin...

If you like them thick you may just like Paradise, they are thick. Not sure about delivery though.

It's a shame Papa Gino's in Lygon St Melbourne don't deliver.. :o

Papa Gino's masterpiece---->

Sorry for being off-topic, but Ajarn, how can you like those pizzas? They are crap!! The concept of cheese on a pizza is something that TPC don't seem to understand!!

Simply a matter of your opinion vs my opinion...

Sorry for being off-topic, but Ajarn, how can you like those pizzas? They are crap!! The concept of cheese on a pizza is something that TPC don't seem to understand!!

One of the many things that make the world an interesting place. As I said in earlier posts I personally don't like Pizza Hut or Pizza Company pizzas but they are obviously doing something right because there are a lot of people, including yourself, who do like them.

CB

One of the many things that make the world an interesting place. As I said in earlier posts I personally don't like Pizza Hut or Pizza Company pizzas but they are obviously doing something right because there are a lot of people, including yourself, who do like them.

CB

Doesn't make their "pizzas" any better. Thick dough generally uncooked and soggy in the middle with dubious cheap topping seems to be the trademark of both places. Most of their customers are locals who can be excused because they've never been exposed to real pizza.

The Dukes is a fine place to eat and I can see what all the fuss is about. My question is what do you do after you've finished eating that is in walking distance....sweet FA

I walk over the bridge and purchase DVDs at the Night Bazzar, then continue down to the Beer Bar Boxing stadium and then saunder down Loi Kroh Road. :D

any sweet FAs down there UG? :o

Went to Paradise Pizza last night and have to say that I came away very dissapointed. The dough was raw, the ingredients were uncooked, and the service was horrible.

The dough, even after I asked them to recook it, was still limp and 'doughy'. Not a good sign. The service was slow, and it seemed to me, given the results, everything was overpriced.

I am just a tourist passing through, but I hate to think that this kind of service will become the standard by which Chiang Mai will be judged. I don't like to slam a business in public, but I did make my complaints known to the proprietor to no avail, so I have no other way to let others know.

If this is not the right place or the right forum, I am sorry, but I felt I had to say something.

I went to Paradise twice in the last two days. I had a slice of pizza, then after that I had to have another one.

The dough was obviously fresh. Not too thick and not too thin. The sause had a unique flavor, I would say fresh

tomatoes are used instead of canned? I could be wrong.

The cheese was tasty and most importantly the pizza was cooked all the way through. Also the price was right and the atmosphere very casual......60s music playing (the Byrds).... very nice. Location is very nice also

The second time I had the homemade ravioli (meat). It was very tasty and I think they were stuffed with beef and Ricotta? I originally wanted to try the cheese ravioli with a side of meatballs but the staff said no because it was not on the menu.....no problem. I realize they probably wouldn't know how much charge etc...

Maybe it's just me but I think the homade cheese ravioli with meatballs would be a good addition to the menu.

Ps. someone asked why some people call them pies? I beleive it's a New York thing

By the way, I don't know Rick the owner, and the only reason I was compelled to try his food was the OP and all the replies that came afterwards..

CB

Doesn't make their "pizzas" any better. Thick dough generally uncooked and soggy in the middle with dubious cheap topping seems to be the trademark of both places. Most of their customers are locals who can be excused because they've never been exposed to real pizza.

... and they're exposed to so much advertising that get persuaded into buying the pizzas that way. Right now I must hear that girl clutching the ice cream and shouting "FREEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" about 10 times in 15 minutes on the way to work on the BTS. With that much bombardment, sure something's going to sink in.

CB

cheap topping is what you get at Tops supermarket bakery. or the occasional small pizza stalls the thais have at certain trade exibitions. i find pizza company topping to be top quality. their meat deluxe is wonderful with good quality meat, sausages and ham. nice crispy crusts,the pan pizza that is. i dont go for the fancy ones though.

By the way, I don't know Rick the owner, and the only reason I was compelled to try his food was the OP and all the replies that came afterwards..

Nothing like publicity, whether it be good or bad, to arouse peoples attention. I'll bet sales have gone up at PP since this thread started. I haven't contributed.

Maybe Jed is Rick.........??????

Edited by Blinky Bill

CB

I have eaten pizza in many cities, and for over 20 years here. Not once did I ever get a soggy pizza, or one made with cheap ingredients at the Pizza co. I don't think you know what you're talking about...