Safety deposit box as a foreigner in Bangkok?

TPDH

Hey

Is it possible for a foreigner (non-immigrant/marriage visa) to get a safety deposit box here in Bangkok? I'm already a customer with one of the big banks. 

If it's possible, are there usually availability? Anything else worth knowing? 

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, Airalee said:

I asked about one at Bangkok Bank about a year ago.  They informed me that I would need to deposit ฿10,000,000 (ten million) in order to be eligible for a safe deposit box.  

And then tell you exactly which box to put that B10,000,000........... I’d consider  ‘Safety' deposit box to be somewhat of an oxymoron !!!.... 

Isn’t the whole purpose of a safety deposit box that no one else knows whats in there ?.... 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’d consider  ‘Safety' deposit box to be somewhat of an oxymoron !!!.... 

Yep. Even in the USA, it is an oxymoron. 

OP, safes are not terribly expensive in LOS and you can screw them into wood, or bolt them into concrete---walls or floors--- or both, like I did. 

And you have access 24/7/365.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

And then tell you exactly which box to put that B10,000,000........... I’d consider  ‘Safety' deposit box to be somewhat of an oxymoron !!!.... 

Isn’t the whole purpose of a safety deposit box that no one else knows whats in there ?.... 

Not put 10,000,000 Baht cash in the Box have deposited on account!

Then you have to wait for somebody to die, the Manager controls the waiting list.

Good luck Mr. Farung. 

• Agree 1

I had a bkk bank safe deposit at Las Prao branch. Less than ฿2000 deposit (+key deposit) + 6 months rent in advance. The rent was cheap though, but I just don't remember how much it was. They just asked me if I have an account with bkk bank. 2 people could have access to the box. 

17 hours ago, TPDH said:

I've been looking for it since more than 15 years ago - I never found any, but I do remember somebody posted that it was available a few places - I ended up buying my own safe...????

Now I'm saving up little money every month, so I one day might have something to put into my safe...????

18 hours ago, TPDH said:

I have one with Krungsri (Tonson Branch near Chidlom BTS), I too am on a Non-O marriage extension. I've had it several years now, but I don't recall there being a problems obtaining it. Unlike trying to get one with Kasikorn here in Hat Yai, boxes in Hat Yai are limited and they wanted to get me to take out a life insurance policy. Krungsri didn't try to attach any strings. It costs me an annual fee of Bht2,140.

Edited by Stocky

11 hours ago, timendres said:

I rented a safe deposit box from Safe Deposit Box BKK:

http://www.safedepositboxbangkok.com/

Very affordable, and I was very happy with the service. When I first went to check it out, there was a foreigner there who was asking if he could also provide his Thai GF with access to his box. The owner, who is a woman from Brazil (I believe) was adamant - "NO! Only you can have access to your box!". I signed up immediately. They use fingerprint biometrics with a passcode to enter the room, and a key to access the box. It is located in Silom directly across from Bangkok Christian Hospital.

Any idea how their service would operate in a situation where you wanted to keep your will and other estate/financial stuff secure in that kind of box -- in terms of a wife/husband being able to access it in the event you have passed away?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Any idea how their service would operate in a situation where you wanted to keep your will and other estate/financial stuff secure in that kind of box -- in terms of a wife/husband being able to access it in the event you have passed away?

I never asked, but I am sure a death certificate and will/court order would sort things. The owner is a very reasonable person. But also someone who understands how stupid a foreigner can be when dealing with the sexy Thai GF.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:
16 hours ago, Airalee said:

I asked about one at Bangkok Bank about a year ago.  They informed me that I would need to deposit ฿10,000,000 (ten million) in order to be eligible for a safe deposit box.  

Obviously, the deposit would be into a bank account, how could cash in a box benefit the bank that does not have a key to the box?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timendres said:
2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Expand  

I never asked, but I am sure a death certificate and will/court order would sort things.

Probate.