Flooding persists in 18 provinces; more rain expected

snoop1130

69260ced14b38b0d5529f26c1a9f72c0_small.jpg

BANGKOK (NNT) - 18 provinces in Thailand are still affected by floods caused by storm Dianmu. Heavy rain is forecast to start tomorrow; the capital Bangkok however, is not expecting to see major floods like those in 2011.

The Department of Disaster Prevention and Mitigation (DDPM) has announced 18 provinces are currently affected by the floods caused by storm Dianmu, out of the total of 31 provinces affected by the storms during 23-30 September. The situation has already recovered in 13 provinces so far.

Meanwhile, the seasonal monsoon prevailing over the Andaman Sea, Thailand, and the Gulf of Thailand is forecast to strengthen, accompanying a monsoon trough across the northern, central, eastern, and lower northeastern regions. These conditions are expected to cause more rains, with isolated heavy rain in areas of the central, eastern, and southern regions.

In Bangkok, the Governor of Bangkok Aswin Kwanmuang has posted on his official Facebook page, a response to public concerns over the possibility of major flooding, similar to the year 2011.

The governor said the amount of water flowing into Bangkok in 2011 was much higher than at the present time.

He said the water flowing through Chao Phraya Dam in Chainat upstream in 2011 was 4,000 cubic meters per second, much higher than the current rate of less than 3,000 cubic meters per second.

The Bangkok governor said the amount of water this year is similar to last year, when no flooding was reported in areas along the banks of the Chao Phraya River.

After the big flood in 2011, the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration increased the height of levees along the Chao Phraya River, allowing the city to handle higher levels.

The city is now closely monitoring the situation as dams upstream have increased their drainage output, and inspecting the structural strength of flood walls along the Chao Phraya River for preparedness, with rapid response plans in place to assist affected residents.

Sandbags and water pumps are ready to mitigate the situation at communities located outside the levees, which could be affected by any overflow of the river.

According to City Hall, 239 households in 11 communities are now at risk of flooding from river overflow. The affected areas are located in Dusit, Phra Nakhon, Samphanthawong, Bang Kho Laem, Yan Nawa, Bangkok Noi, and Khlong San. Residents in these areas are now advised to move their belongings to upper floors in order to prevent damage.

nnt.jpg

I was at the Passke dam to day that is now 90% full ,taking all the flood water from Petchabon province ,it has filled up by about 50% over past week ,it is its  fullest I have known it for this time of year ,if we get any more rain they will open the gates even farther to drain some water out they have already opened all seven gates which I have never seen before ,which will mean Ayutthaya provence and then Bangkok will receive even more water .plus what the full up Chao-Phraya river is discharging ,could well be some flooding. 

I hope an urgent reminder sent that the rain is falling DOWNWARDS today , it will then unlike snipers generally seek the lower ground and like Red Bull Boy RUN OFF as fast as possible leaving a trail of woe, wetness and devastation.

Moist dash check if any water flowing uphill in this country where rain is as scarce as HUBS!

33 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Water dam management is actually very easy, explained to the Thais over and over again - but they do not listen as usual.

As an example:
A dam has a capacity of 100, the remaining level is 20. So you need to replenish 80 by the end of the rainy season. By historical figures (and Thailand is quite well documented on that) you can expect 110 over the coming rainy season feeding that particular dam. So the mathematics are rather easy; release today 3/11th of yesterday's rain - and you do that every single day or accumulated every few days (do not wait longer). Towards the end of the rainy season you still have ample opportunities to fine-tune and pay close attention to the water levels. That is, how dams are operated in i.e. Switzerland and the US; no rocket science, and smaller dams are managed fully automatic. 

In Thailand though the system works differently. Once it starts to rain, close all the valves and keep the precious water. Once the level reaches 90+, they start to realize, that there is more water coming than they wished for. Given the fact, that 35% of the water rains during the last quarter of the rainy season, you see them going crazy and various work groups, committees etc. are starting to feed in "advice". The disastrous result is evident - every year! 

Thank you for some common sense, sadly lacking due to the brain drain.

Switzerland has had 500 years of Calvinism, Zwingli etc to encourage serious work, restraint and deferred gratification and reward in arrears or as their Roman brothers to teh south called Pie in the Sky when you die.

The Thai prefers immediate gratification as he cannot trust himself or others to defer pleasure, in mny cases ecstasy may pre booked using the brown envelope method otherwise it may be a long wilt and ultimately no happy ending. As there will be little individual consequence to those responsible that the great unwashed get rinsed most years it will go on ad infintum,I'll wager my inflatable nong that similar headlines will appear annulay until climate change turns all but Soi Arab into a desert. Camels in Kanchanaburi , Nana  a mongermecca, dayes in Soi desert cowboy oh the humanity, current trend for full facial berkers is just teh thin end of the pyramid being inserted into an Oasis of pleasure, hope your goat heard.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, kickstart said:

I was at the Passke dam to day that is now 90% full ,taking all the flood water from Petchabon province ,it has filled up by about 50% over past week ,it is its  fullest I have known it for this time of year ,if we get any more rain they will open the gates even farther to drain some water out they have already opened all seven gates which I have never seen before ,which will mean Ayutthaya provence and then Bangkok will receive even more water .plus what the full up Chao-Phraya river is discharging ,could well be some flooding. 

Wish you had a few pictures.

Be nice to see.