Australia readies to reopen, praised as good news for Phuket

webfact

1633061845_1-org.jpg

Matthew Barclay and his team at the Australian Consulate-General in Phuket. Photo: The Phuket News / file

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The Australian Government has announced its framework to allow fully vaccinated Australians to travel and return home to observe only a seven-day quarantine period at home.

The much anticipated news came in a release issued today (Oct 1).

“Australian citizens and permanent residents who cannot be vaccinated ‒ for example if they are under 12 or have a medical condition ‒ will be treated as vaccinated for the purposes of their travel,” the release noted.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/australia-readies-to-reopen-praised-as-good-news-for-phuket-81575.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-10-01

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fondue zoo said:

So if an Australian has had two Pfizer jabs in Thailand can they return home with a 7 day home quarantine?

According to Scotty, if approved by the TGA, yes

173691590_ScreenShot2021-10-01at12_12_51.png.5146810fcf8fc51540ad6e2aa825e9bb.png

Edited by ozfarang
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ozfarang said:

He's already been on the telly and told Australia of the opening of Australia in November

I believe it when it happens and continues to happen without a sudden cancellation after just a few months.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, ozfarang said:

Do you live in Australia @ukrules?

It will happen and stay open once the vaccination rate goes above 80% nationally and home quarantine for 7 days or no quarantine is required for fully vaccinated travellers

Good to know

Australians will only go to Thailand if all the(Thai) restrictions are lifted and it is a country approved by Australian Govt. Bali and other SE Asian countries currently look better for a holiday. Yes Aussies with Thai wives may give it first option.

It's welcome news. But bitter sweet for Australians who have been locked out of their own country for a year and half. 

Fortunately, at least they recognised Sinovac vaccinations so Aussies in Phuket can get back.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Karma80 said:

It's welcome news. But bitter sweet for Australians who have been locked out of their own country for a year and half. 

Fortunately, at least they recognised Sinovac vaccinations so Aussies in Phuket can get back.

Unfortunately, for us all who have been jabbed with AstraZeneca made in Thailand, Australia currently is not recognizing such vaccinations as valid.

• Sad 1

56 minutes ago, sonjai said:

Unfortunately, for us all who have been jabbed with AstraZeneca made in Thailand, Australia currently is not recognizing such vaccinations as valid.

I found 2 News articles contradicting each other.

https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/australianz/chinas-sinovac-shot-approved-by-australia-ahead-of-border-open

https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2021/sep/29/international-passengers-arriving-in-australia-may-face-vaccination-registration-roadblock

So I would say right now No one really knows what they will accept..

And IMO if they were to refuse any of the WHO approved Vaccines there will be hell to pay.
Blocking all of the Australian citizens and International Students (BIG MONEY) in ASIA, Russia, and anywhere else that has received a WHO approved Vax but not on their golden list would be a Massive issue.. 

*****EDIT************

Further searching 

Article dated today OCT 1st 

"Australia has recognized vaccines made by Sinovac and AstraZeneca overseas"

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science/article/3150882/covid-19-chinas-sinovac-shots-approved-australia-ahead-border

Edited by dutchweller
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

So if an Australian has had two Pfizer jabs in Thailand can they return home with a 7 day home quarantine?

Seems that way.

Thats if Australia recognizes Pfeizer being administered in Thailand.

Better check.

On 10/1/2021 at 3:07 PM, fondue zoo said:

Yes and no, I think what is happening first is you have to return to Aus. , 14 day hotel quarantine, then take your paperwork to your Doctor.  If they approve it, they will enter it into your Medicare records and you will have an Aus vaccine certificate and be good to go. I am not sure how that works with other foreign nationals... and I am not sure if that will change as I read that off a news site a couple weeks ago and who knows.

An example of why they might be hesitant, I have a friend in Poland for example who said it was free to get the Pfizer Jab or PLN500 and you get the paperwork to say you have been jabbed but don't have get jabbed, the paperwork is genuine as it happens at the vaccination cliincs. He didn't know anyone who got jabbed, just lots who paid the money to get the certificate to say they had been so they could travel. 

On 10/1/2021 at 3:13 PM, 2 is 1 said:

Only country in hole planet which not allowed own citizen to get back home! Crazy sht! Start from inmate now not even let them in! Ok sarcasm.....

Not quite so, New Zealand  as well BUT Australia was worse.  Intra national movements were banned e.ga citizen of say NSW could not go to Qld AND if you were a local you could often not return eg walk 5 metres across the border into NSW you could not return back to Queensland but you could drive your car 3000km to the north from Coolongatta visiting all and sundry.  We ended up like a bunch of school kids bickering in a sandpit after drawing up squares and saying "na na nah you can't cross this line."

There is also super limited ability to travel, there are only a handful of destinations but of course once you get there eg Singapore you can travel further you also have the issue of the states not agreeing to this, as far as I know the only state who has committed is NSW. So how exactly a Queenslander or a citizen of SA, Tasmania, WA, NT, ACT etc might go about it I am unsure. 

I don't really blame the politicians on this at all, the stupider they went, the more the voters supported it. For me this was a national shame and voters should be embarrassed by their repugnant actions, some 90% support this.  This has finally tipped me into wanting to leave the country for a looooong time.  I don't know of ANYONE personally who is not broadly supportive of the policies that were brought it

I have had one shot of Spikevax

Edited by BumGun