Taxi hailing apps to be legal from now on - 10,000 cabs expected to join scheme in November

webfact

2pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

Thailand's transport minister Saksayam Chidchob said he had signed off on ministry rules that will allow the use of apps to hail taxis.

Companies who apply to run apps will be subject to a 30 day scrutiny process. 

He said that 10,000 taxis of up to seven person capacity would likely be available in Bangkok.

Flagfall for the cheapest vehicle will be 40 baht.

After the first two kilometers the rate will increase per kilometer by 6 baht up to 16 baht depending on the size, reported Daily News.

A limit of 20 baht hailing charge has been set. 

Idling in traffic will mean 2 baht more per minute.

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Haha 1

Price of taxis has gone up. SORTED

- Price per km is up

- 20B extra for the privilege of booking a cab on an App.

- Etc.

- Taxi driver's real earnings now recorded?

Edited by VocalNeal
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Try working out the cost of your ride while sitting in the back seat, shall I stay or bail-out.

a hailing service app usually gives a very accurate estimate of the cost and the route of a journey

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Been using them for a few years. Didn't know, nor care a lick if legal or not. Uber first, then GRAB, now BOLT. Push the proper app buttons and car magically appears and takes me where going. Legal?!? ????

• Like 1

21 hours ago, smedly said:

a hailing service app usually gives a very accurate estimate of the cost and the route of a journey

This is an (official) taxi-hailing app, as the OP very clearly stated. When you book a taxi through it you get a very accurate indication of the fare on the meter.

While it is true if you live away from a major metropolitan district getting a cab might not be so easy but I ask is an "app" really necessary?

I have a phone number of a radio cab service and all I do is ring. The surcharge is Tb20 and they will send a cab asap, usually no more than a few minuets depending on where I am.

App, no thanks, its just giving money to a third party for nothing in my book.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, VocalNeal said:
2 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

What's a driver's earnings got to do with anyone else?

Income tax! 

What's that got to do with anyone apart from the driver and the Revenue authorities?    Sure as sugar, it's got nothing to do with you, me, any forum or any passengers.

If you are from UK the government knows you live in Thailand. They know the flight you left on and if you return, the flight you arrive on. Or at least they can if they wish. 

I'm sure the Thai government wishes to know who earns what and what tax they pay. . An App is a good way. I don't care what Thai taxi drivers make. Just that an App which records their income is useful info for the Thai tax dept.

Only two things are certain in life?

Edited by VocalNeal

22 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Presumably you're referring to 'Grab', the use of which does not guarantee that you'll get an official  taxi, you can get stuck with a tiny, private vehicle.   

In Grab you can choose to only get official taxis that take meter from the pickup point, Pick "GrabTaxi" usually price is half compared to "GrabCar" and if you choose "JustGrab" the driver that picks your ride first will drive you, Private car or an official taxi.