US Tourist Visa for Thai spouse of a US citizen

Has anyone in the forum been granted a US Tourist Visa for a Thai spouse since Biden took office? 

My wife went to the states twice before pre-Trump (2005, 2008), but her previous visa expired in 2011. 

I tried twice during the Trump administration and provided every possible document to ensure she posed no threat of doing a Robin Hood. 

After she was rejected the second time, a Thai lady/consultant  who assists people in getting visas told me that 'the new president' (TRUMP) had changed the policy and that the Embassy no longer issued Tourist Visas to spouses. 

I can't even begin to explain the frustration and lost and money, but the saddest part of all was never once being able to speak with Embassy staff in person to get an explanation or advice. 

So I want to know if anyone has had one issued since Biden took office. 

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer and, please, let's not turn this into a political debate. 

• Sad 1

On 10/4/2021 at 1:48 PM, phuketsub said:

a Thai lady/consultant  who assists people in getting visas told me that 'the new president' (TRUMP) had changed the policy and that the Embassy no longer issued Tourist Visas to spouses. 

Absolute rubbish. I had no problem getting my wife one even though she has no job in Thailand. But, she owns land, has a nice bank account and a 13 million baht house. She's not going to stay in the USA. Sorry for your troubles, but don't blame Trump. Good luck with your application; although, the border is open.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

My wife, step daughter and I went through the same process and few years ago and were rejected.  We had all the recommended documents including those that showed her owning a very nice house here and having money in the bank.  No reason for the denial was given at that time but we were later told the interviewer has 3-5 minutes with each applicant and no time to review several documents.  It was all up to the Q&A done at that time.  One question asked of our daughter at the time was the woman she was with her mother or sister.  Our daughter said 'sister' which is not an unusual response as some females refer to all other females as their sisters.  That could have been our downfall.  Perhaps with the current 'open border' policy it would be better to fly to Mexico City and walk/swim over the border.  I'm 81 now and would love to tour the USA with my wife and step daughter.  We have been to Indonesia and Malaysia several times and to the Philippines once with no issues but we can not go to my home country.  And as others have said we pay taxes and for what reason?  Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Absolute rubbish. I had no problem getting my wife one even though she has no job in Thailand. But, she owns land, has a nice bank account and a 13 million baht house. She's not going to stay in the USA. Sorry for your troubles, but don't blame Trump. Good luck with your application; although, the border is open.

I was pretty specific in the original post that I didn't want to make this political. I do appreciate the input. I guess I'll just have to try for an immigration visa, though we have no intention whatsoever of moving back there. I simply don't understand why their policy makes it harder to get an 'immigration' visa than a simple tourist one. 

The other point that I didn't mention is that our 15-year-old daughter is now studying in the states, living with my sister. 

Of course I could try again and provide documents to prove it, but my wife said that last time the officer didn't even bother to look at all the documents we provided at that time. 

Also, my wife is a school director, lives in a multimillion baht home and has two elderly parents in her care.But...no can go to the States again, even though she did return after two previous visits. Unreal.

• Like 1

It has been a long time since I applied for a Tourist visa then the American citizen was allowed to tag along some on the inside have said it was my case that changed the policy that only the applicant can go into the interview ????.  To be honest then I didn't have a clue what their requirements I remember I went online and just applied there weren't any area's within the process to submit documents or even give a lengthy explanation?

Reading a number of post in the past similar and now based on the responses nothing really have changed?  I would be the first to say there is a big flaw in the process if currently applicants still can't submit documents or proof to back up their reason for the visa so we provide what we think is needed?

Don't blame the interviewers they are just doing their job for myself having association with government workers and politicians for many years here they are given instructions many of the applications are reviewed and a decision is already made prior to the interview they are given a number of questions to ask that is basically the shot one has to change their minds. Then you got the language problem although the interviewer speaks Thai ( I found out later from my wife she has a tough time understanding her Thai and questions )  then i didn't understand or speak any Thai but what annoyed me and I didn't say a word but the interviewer not only got aggressive but hostile and personal that is when I had enough and stepped in even then I was polite and didn't raise my voice. I try to clarify some of the questions she was asking and even asked if she has seen this document send earlier to the Embassy by ???? one of the main thing the interviewer kept insisting was it would be much easier and simple immigrate them there were some other respond I got was shocking and I don't shock easily. After being denied I walked out of the Embassy my phone rang timing couldn't be better I was asked of the outcome!

Fast forward a month I received a call from the States I was instructed to travel with wife and son to Bangkok to meet with a particular person at the meeting I received an apologie first then a long explanation of how the process works what is required from their employees. Just in general some of the things I remember was they don't trust the applicants because Thailand is very good at producing false documents then just walk down from the Embassy might a right and what you got Nana great majority I guess the applicants come from there?  Then I was given some stats as to how big a problem the U.S. have with tourist visa over stays from Thailand that based on the U.S law it was near impossible to find them and if you do they have resources it takes years and resources in courts?

What they seem to be looking first is what is going to bring the applicant back if you are the so supporter for them it is a red flag, for my brother case a few month earlier his wife was refused until he spoke up and said he has made Thailand his domicile for a number of years he had an Retirement extension as soon as interviewer saw the passport and stamp the decision was reverse.

My story is just that mines I was given a lot of information at this meeting I'm not defending them what I do know from experience how government runs is anyone's guess it is frustrating and inconsistent like a box of chocolate you never know what you are going to get. At the beginning of the meeting we were asked to hand over our passports at the end we were all given them back with the requested tourist visa granted.

Good luck!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, LNKDES1 said:

My Thai wife & I have been married for 7 yrs, (together for 10), and we ran into the same problems as you when we applied and went through the process twice. Seems it's way simpler to get an Immigration Visa than a Visitor Visa to go and see my family in the States. We don't want to move back, we're very happy right here where we are. About $3000 USD each time down the drain. Both attempts were made during the Trump administration, and both took over a year to be rejected. I wish you the best of luck.

I hope you mean 3000 baht, because the price to apply for a tourist visa is only 100 bucks. 

No problem for my Wife.  She was issued a ten year visa.  Until CV19 hit, we went Stateside once a year for few weeks.  But given the current situation with With "Joe the Puppet"  running the Country, u may consider the Rio Visa program.  Just pack light so your satchel doesn't sink in the river.

My wife successfully applied for a tourist visa about three years ago. She applied so that we could accompany our daughter to start university in the US. 

The interviewer was more interested in knowing if I had strong ties to Thailand and asked my wife for whom I worked, how long I had lived in Thailand and the like. The interviewer wanted to see my passport, but my wife did not have it with her. She was also asked if our daughter is a US citizen. The interviewer had no interest in seeing any of my wife's financial documents, property deeds or anything else related to her situation.

It seems that in the case of applying for a tourist visa for a Thai spouse, the US spouse's connections to Thailand are very important.

• Like 2

Well Trump or no Trump, I've long since given up trying to understand the criteria to get a wife/girlfriend/boyfriend or whatever a tourist visa for the US.

It always seems so arbitrary. Some folks with what seem rather 'thin' requirements sail though, yet others what you would think have a rock solid application get denied.

My wife as a case in point back in 2010. Professional woman, good job, money in bank, letter from employer granting vacation. Yep, denied.

All we wanted was a two week vacation to visit my daughter who had just had a baby.

Eight years later applied for an immigrant visa, nothing had changed and it sailed through!

So roll the dice and keep your fingers crossed

Edited by GinBoy2
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

If I'm reading the Embassy's website correctly, if someone has a current B1/B2 (tourist) visa or one that expired within the past 4 years, they can renew it by mail (this applies only until Dec 31, 2021), if the visa expired more than 4 years ago, they need to make an appointment.

If you are renewing for a visa type that you have previously been approved for, a B1/B2 (Business/Tourism) or C1/D (Transit/Crew) visa, you may qualify for an exemption to the interview requirement. 

If you can answer “yes” to all of the following questions, you may qualify for our Visa Renewal by Mail Program.

1. I am renewing a B1/B2 (Business/Tourism) or C1/D (Transit/Crew) visa that is currently valid or has expired within the last 48 months (four years). This policy is in effect until December 31, 2021. All other visa classes must make an appointment for an in-person interview. 
  2. I am physically present in Thailand. 
  3. I was not born in or do not hold a passport from Cuba, North Korea, Syria, Sudan, or Iraq. 
  4. My previous visa was not lost/stolen or revoked. 

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visarenew.asp#

• Like 1

As an American citizen I find it frustrating that I took my Thai wife to Germany twice over the last three years but it appears to be a random process regarding travel to America.  My wife is not going anywhere until she gets properly vaccinated as I do not trust the airlplane travel.  Maybe I will try an Immigrant visa for her in case the visa rules change in Thailand like they did in Vietnam and Malaysia.

On 10/5/2021 at 9:55 PM, volsfan said:

I hope you mean 3000 baht, because the price to apply for a tourist visa is only 100 bucks. 

The actual application cost is only a small part of it. It is also two r/t tickets to Bangkok (we live in the South), lost wages, hotel expenses, ensuring care for our elderly inlaws, taxi fees, etc. To be fair that was just a rough estimate, though. 

On 10/5/2021 at 11:46 PM, bbko said:

If I'm reading the Embassy's website correctly, if someone has a current B1/B2 (tourist) visa or one that expired within the past 4 years, they can renew it by mail (this applies only until Dec 31, 2021), if the visa expired more than 4 years ago, they need to make an appointment.

If you are renewing for a visa type that you have previously been approved for, a B1/B2 (Business/Tourism) or C1/D (Transit/Crew) visa, you may qualify for an exemption to the interview requirement. 

If you can answer “yes” to all of the following questions, you may qualify for our Visa Renewal by Mail Program.

1. I am renewing a B1/B2 (Business/Tourism) or C1/D (Transit/Crew) visa that is currently valid or has expired within the last 48 months (four years). This policy is in effect until December 31, 2021. All other visa classes must make an appointment for an in-person interview. 
  2. I am physically present in Thailand. 
  3. I was not born in or do not hold a passport from Cuba, North Korea, Syria, Sudan, or Iraq. 
  4. My previous visa was not lost/stolen or revoked. 

https://www.ustraveldocs.com/th/th-niv-visarenew.asp#

Wow, I didn't know about that -- thanks. Sadly, my wife's previous visa expired more than 10 years ago, but hopefully others might benefit from this knowlege.

16 hours ago, andy said:

Wife got a 2nd 10 year tourist visa in early 2017, so very early stage Trump.  No docs requested, interview less than a minute, passport with visa in the mail a day later.

With previous visits to the US already I'm surprised at the rejection.  Were the previous visits also on a tourist visa?

Also a "Thai lady consultant who assists people in getting visas" - LOL, sounds totally legit.  You cannot "assist" someone with a US tourist visa, though I'm sure she'll gladly take your money anyway...

Q: With previous visits to the US already I'm surprised at the rejection.  Were the previous visits also on a tourist visa?

Answer: Yes

RE: Also a "Thai lady consultant who assists people in getting visas" - LOL, sounds totally legit.  You cannot "assist" someone with a US tourist visa, though I'm sure she'll gladly take your money anyway...

COMMENT: She was there helping some other guy get his wife a non-immigrant visa; when the guy saw how upset I was he asked her to help. She never asked for any compensation. 

Thanks for your input. 

Before we were married my wife applied for a tourist visa two times and was rejected. We are now married with a three-year-old son who is American l and I am retired. She would like to apply for a Taurus Visa again so my son can see my family. Anyone have any suggestions what to focus on and what are her chances of getting a Taurus Visa

Not really related but my wife got a US tourist visa (I'm a UK citizen) as I (unfortunately) had to visit there for work back in 2018, very easy, in the documents submitted was my passport, work permit, marriage certificate and letter from the company that I needed to go for 2 weeks, that was it.

I've witnessed the same in the UK, easy for all apart from actual citizens, nonsense.

7 minutes ago, steveb5 said:

Before we were married my wife applied for a tourist visa two times and was rejected. We are now married with a three-year-old son who is American l and I am retired. She would like to apply for a Taurus Visa again so my son can see my family. Anyone have any suggestions what to focus on and what are her chances of getting a Taurus Visa

When my wife applied for her tourist visa she brought various papers to help her case, once the US Embassy officials saw our marriage certificate and my son's birth certificate (registered with the US Embassy) she was passed onto another interviewer who looked over the birth certificate and she got her tourist visa, no problem.  So make sure she bring both the marriage and birth certificates.

• Like 1

Just apply for a B1-B2 spousal visa. I got mine, and it was easy. She got a 10 year, multiple entry visa. One trick that someone on this forum suggested, that worked like magic, was having her bring my original passport with her, for the interview. All they did for 5 minutes was study my passport, my retirement visa, the entry and exit stamps, and it was done. It likely helped that I was traveling back and forth at least two times a year. They did not ask to see any of the stuff she brought with her. Banking stuff, house deeds, land deeds, business info, etc. Just my passport. 

• Like 1

Not spouse related but I can't recall the last time I heard of anyone (some single some not, none married to Americans) I know here not get approved for a US tourist visa, including during the Trump years.   All of the 10 year variety it seems, is there no other kind?   They don't do shorter time span visas?