Snakes

Mai Krap

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nam,

I am an amateur Herpetologist, and have kept/cared for many species. I felt I needed to make comment, after getting the "cuddly as a bear" feeling about Geckoes on your post. Please don't get me wrong, I don't want to see any unnecessary killing of any species. Most of them are more beneficial to our household than not.

I just thought it may be educational to reveal a little about the largest Gecko, the Tokay. It is a nocturnal creature and indigenous to Thailand. It is an insectivore, but when confronted, it has an unpleasant disposition and can inflict severe bites.

When attending to biological duties in the middle of the night at the hawng soo-um, much care must be taken since these Geckoes have also been known to attack those poor 6 inch snakes. :o

tokaygecko.jpg

Thanks for the link on the lemongrass Axel, i thought it must have been old folklore as the landlady had been to the temple to ask the old monks what to do when she found out about the snake. But I'll be eating a lot more of the stuff though after reading of the other benefits :o:D

snakes or lemongrass? :o

There is an excellent eatery for 'snake food' on soi 33/1, Suk, Bkk.

The skin is better when the stuff is boiled rather than cooked.

Stroll, could you somehow slow that avatar down, its making me dizzy.

I need to wrap a wet towel around my head when I see it.

And I never wear a towel around my head.

I encounter snakes and the likes (various lizards, reptiles, etc...) every so often. I live in Vientiane. I don’t think there are any ways to totally get rid of them (geckos and tokays simply won’t go away so if you can tolerate the sight of them, just leave them alone). Snakes are another matter since some can be poisonous and you wouldn’t want to put yourself or your loved ones at risk.

I’ve never heard about lemongrass being a repellent to snakes, only to moskitoes, but I’ll keep that in mind. The best ways to deter snakes from roaming around are :

1)Keep your garden well tended. Never allow plants and grass to grow too wild ! Snakes like to live undisturbed so lots of movements (digging to grow new plants, grass mowing, etc) will make them move away to quieter places.

I’ve also heard of sulphur as another member here mentionned but I’ve not used that yet.

2)Keep rodents away. If you have cats, it can help a bit.

3)Keep insects away. House geckos and tokays will help. Or hire a pest control company.

Nobody mentionned toads. For those of you with young kids, as well as dogs or cats,you might like to know that toads in our region ARE poisonous and they project a burning liquid when they feel threatened.

As for a little snake anecdote... Several years ago, I was staying at my mom’s in Bangkok, in the middle of busy Sukhumvit. One day, we could distinguish from our side of the street a long snake hanging at our neighbour’s window. It was a glass window. I didn’t know snakes could ‘adhere’ to such surface. Anyway, I went to take a look, and as I moved closer to it (crazy, I know), it suddenly just leapt ! (I didn’t know snakes leap ! Lots of things I don’t know, heh ?) My mom, who was watching from her window, went nuts and started yelling at me to come back in the house. « Run », she said, Ruuuuuuuuuuun !! ». Which I did. Wrong move. Just as I closed the door behind me, feeling back to the safety of our home, what do I see ? The snake followed and crept under the door and just went somehwere. I didn’t stay to find out where, I called the maid and told her there was a snake somewhere on the ground floor. I figured the girl just arrived from Isarn, surely she is blase about snakes. Ha ! She was just as helpless as I was. So finally, not knowing what to do, and ignoring my <English married to Thai>neighbour yelling from his window that they were boiling water, just wait, (what on earth for ?? Tea ? Now ??! :D:o ), we decided to call 191. Yeah... So there came the brave Thonglor policemen... I hysterically gave them indications from the window at the top floor. Within minutes, they found the poor snake hiding under a low table. One of the policemen found it funny to call me from downstairs and say ‘Khun, we think we found your snake, please come and see if it’s THE one’. I felt both ridiculous and relieved :D . The morality of this story is 1) don’t go near a snake. 2) if you happen to find yourself near a snake, stay still, don’t move. It should go away by itself, feeling unthreatened.

Been living here over two years now and have only seen two snakes both small. I was born in the year of the snake and have caught snakes since I was a kid. Caught all kinds in Louisiana and even a death adder in Australia. Just gotta know what you're doing and stay alert, some can be very fast moving and striking. Usually they are more scared of you and will try to just get away, except for some varieties during mating season. Some are known to become very aggressive during this period. :o

snakes or lemongrass? :o

There is an excellent eatery for 'snake food' on soi 33/1, Suk, Bkk.

The skin is better when the stuff is boiled rather than cooked.

Stroll, could you somehow slow that avatar down, its making me dizzy.

I need to wrap a wet towel around my head when I see it.

And I never wear a towel around my head.

This is what I intended it to do, specially to people who keep mentioning towels on my head in the bearpit. :D

My wife was bitten by a snake that she stepped on last year,non venomous thank god. We have also had a long green snake in the kitchen which i chased out with a broom.The other day i saw a guy by the front gate acting kind of strange and it turns out he was chasing a big cobra away! Many small snakes in the garden lots of toads which my dog likes to chew on,maybe he gets a buzz from the poison! I dont mind the snakes i just cant stand rats which we also get in the house sometimes.One i found in the toliet which was quite easy to get rid of!

As I said before, our Thai dog kills snakes,she also kills mice,she had a big centipede about 30 cm in length,which I killed as the Thai seem terrified of them,and with the help of the Shepard,they also kill and chicken stupid enough to fly over our fence into our yard.

But I have read and been told that big male kings will always protect the nest of the cobra against attack from anything, Their motive for this is simple,they are cannibalistic and when the young come out of the nest,the king the king has a feast,,so if you kill the big males,soon you will be up to your ass in cobras,,don't know how true this is,but something to think about, but I will still kill any snake that comes around my house.

The same goes for GECKOS.. :o

I've been coming to Thailand for 15 years and walked everywhere, even spent a day in the rice fields chopping and tying up the bundles and didn't see as much as a spider. The only place I've ever seen a snake in Thailand is in a snake farm.

Guys, just about 2 hours ago, hubby and I were having a drink when he spotted a huge black snake sliding on the terrasse opposite from us. We are almost certain it was cobra. Very long, very dark (maybe black) and at first it didn't move much. Then hubby went out to get some help and it must have felt the vibrations of his footsteps, it quickly slid and I lost sight of it.

We've just recently moved into this house, and it's the 3rd snake I saw, though the first 2 were not as huge as this one today.

Someone here mentionned sulphur. Is it harmful to other animals such as cats and dogs?

I've been coming to Thailand for 15 years and walked everywhere, even spent a day in the rice fields chopping and tying up the bundles and didn't see as much as a spider. The only place I've ever seen a snake in Thailand is in a snake farm.

I wonder whats wrong with you, the silly walking or the smell. It is snakes all over Thailand. After I moved to Isan I see snakes in my garden at least once a week, and I live in the city

One day I came home, it was a bunch of thais in my garden and I think something has to be wrong. It was a couple of days before lotteriday and a big cobra stayed in my carport. The thais told me this was good luck and they want to betting money on the housenumber or the carnumber. I kill the snake and I kill every snake i find ind my garden. 1000 dead snake is better than my baby killed by a snake.

But after I get a small angry mini pincher it is better. I don't know if he kill them, but many times he come with a small dead snake and he is a good alarm when there is snake in my garden.

Guys, just about 2 hours ago, hubby and I were having a drink when he spotted a huge black snake sliding on the terrasse opposite from us. We are almost certain it was cobra. Very long, very dark (maybe black) and at first it didn't move much. Then hubby went out to get some help and it must have felt the vibrations of his footsteps, it quickly slid and I lost sight of it.

We've just recently moved into this house, and it's the 3rd snake I saw, though the first 2 were not as huge as this one today.

Someone here mentionned sulphur. Is it harmful to other animals such as cats and dogs?

I read a book by a Gordon---[can't remember his last name] called THAILAND-The Tracks Of The Intruder,,was written while he lived in Chiang Mai and hunted and roamed the hill North of there with Lahu that he had known before 1941 when his grandparents and parents were missionary's in Burma, He talks of seeing BLACK cobras in the forests,and said that they were aggressive and mean tempered,so I would be especially careful of them and sulfur will not hurt an animal,but have used in my socks to keep chiggers off,it will ruin your boots[smells terrible] but does work for chiggers but don't know about snakes,,anyhow I just kill em if they come around my place. :o:D

Sleeping out in a bivvy bag in Africa I've always relied on a circle of rope; it's probably &lt;deleted&gt; but I've never had a snake in my bivvy :o

This is not slightly off topic but totally off topic, what did you do in Africa? I spent quite some time in West and Southern Africa, traveled through 8 countries and slept in tents. We've had a variety of animals close to the tent, Hippos being the largest threat. I remember having to go to pee but didn't dare to leave the tent because of some Hippos searching for food near the truck. Hippos have a serious problem in that sense that they try to find the shortest route to the water when in danger, regardless of what's being in between them and the water.

Cheers

Dutchy

Slightly off topic, too, just want to mention that there are poisonous spiders in Thailand , too. Some grow quite large, and they worry me more than snakes, since we have them inBangkok. But they seem to be more scared of you, if they notice you at all. Chase them out the window with a broom.

I had a look at the website posted earlier, I had a different, a huge black centipede with its kids, which looked like a small version of the picture in the website,in my bedroom. Felt I had to kill it since it took a liking to me when asleep. One of the more scary experiences I've had over here.

How poisonous are they? The Thais take them to be much more of a threat than snakes?

You gecko/ginjoke murderers should be ashamed of yourselves! :o

They are harmless, you probably torture cats too.

Anyways are the toads really poisonous? Every morning I have to shake my shoes

and a few pop out and I put them outside but never had any problems handling

them. These are the brown warty looking variety.

thanks

nam

You gecko/ginjoke murderers should be ashamed of yourselves! :o

They are harmless, you probably torture cats too.

Anyways are the toads really poisonous? Every morning I have to shake my shoes

and a few pop out and I put them outside but never had any problems handling

them. These are the brown warty looking variety. 

thanks

nam

If your'e on at me about it, read my post. I never said I kill geckos.

I said that they shit all over.

But they're cute and get let off with it.

If you found mouse shit in your cornflakes you would go and buy mouse traps.

But gecko's seem to be a law unto themselves. :D

I hope you wake up with a gecko in your mouth, just after it shat!!

Gecko breath.....

I think it would be hard enough to catch a gecko with your bear hands anyways, little buggers move like lightning. Was watching a baby one on the wall today and a big one went after him, don't know if they eat each other or territorial thing?

I hear about spiders, but never seen in BKK . Just glad there are no huntsman spiders , those guys scare the crap out of me !!

Not being well up on poisonous spiders but I have heard that the funnel web spider in Australia was called a "F" for a long time because when some poor soul was bitten by one all he managed to say when asked what's wrong he said said " I have been bitten by a f" just before he snuffed it.

I also served with the U.S. Army at two locations in Thailand during the "Vietnam War" or Cold War Years as Thais refer to it.

While assigned as Station Chief to the U.S. Army Microwave Communications Site at Sriracha Thailand, I was showering one morning when in came a Russell's Viper. I immediately vacated the showerroom (sans clothes) and summoned the first person I saw which was one of the off duty Royal Thai Guards assigned to the site for permeter and front gate security.

He immediately grabbed a machete, entered the showerroom (in bare feet) at began swinging towards the snake. It took about six swings to finally sever the snakes head from it's body. During that time, the snake struck at the guard's legs at least twice.

For the remainder of my short tour in Sriracha I was the scardycat bossman.

Ken Bower

US Army Stratcom, So. Thailand

Sleeping out in a bivvy bag in Africa I've always relied on a circle of rope; it's probably &lt;deleted&gt; but I've never had a snake in my bivvy :o

This is not slightly off topic but totally off topic, what did you do in Africa? I spent quite some time in West and Southern Africa, traveled through 8 countries and slept in tents. We've had a variety of animals close to the tent, Hippos being the largest threat. I remember having to go to pee but didn't dare to leave the tent because of some Hippos searching for food near the truck. Hippos have a serious problem in that sense that they try to find the shortest route to the water when in danger, regardless of what's being in between them and the water.

Cheers

Dutchy

An exploration geologist.

Spent three years in Tanzania where we used bivvy bags for short camps, we'd set up a thorn bush screen and bivvy round the fire. Not that there's much wildlife left outside the game parks, a few hyena maybe and a leopard very very rarely, and they only caused problems to the local livestock farmers.

I've worked in several African countries over the best part of 15 years, but only used bivvy bags in Tanzania.

I ran over a king cobra with my motercycle and have ran over a half dozen unidentified snakes as they crawled onto the road and I had no time to stop,,,, lift the legs and go.....

I may trade the motorcycle in for a 2 meter high unicycle :o

I lived in Australia for a few years off and on and used to catch funnel web spiders just for the fun of it. The female of the species is a lot larger than the male and is poisonous but far from deadly except for small children. The Sydney variety is known to be more venemous than the others but with proper first aid and treatment are not deadly. Do not use a tournequet, wrap around the wound and up from there with a tight wrap and try to keep as calm as possible and do not run or you will pump the poison more quickly. If help is available it will go a lot easier but just don't panic. It will hurt like ###### but shouldn't kill you.

Of the ten most poisonous snakes in the world, Australia has 7 of them and has the most poisonous of the world call the "Fierce" snake, NO anti venom is available and death is guaranteed. This snake is in a very remote area of Australia and really isn't seen unless looking for them and then you have to be lucky (?) to find one. :o

:D Sulphur definitely works, snakes "smell" by flicking their super-sensitive tongue around, tasting the air, the ground. Sulphur is sort of extremely pungent to them. Just smelling it yourself.... imagine putting your tongue into that yellow powder. :o