Hummingbird?

Oxx

I know that hummingbirds aren't native to Thailand, however a few times over the last couple of weeks I've seen a small bird which hovers in flight and has a long, distinctly curved bill.  Its coat is mostly drab, but with a yellow/green belly.  Is it an escaped hummingbird? Or is there some local species that looks similar?

Talk about coincidence, this morning sitting outside having a cuppa, I noticed a beautiful small bird with a yellow breast drinking from the flowers of an Aloe Vera plant. It was not hovering, but holding onto the stem of the plant. it will be interesting to find out what species it is.

Thanks for the contributions.

Definitely a bird, not a moth.

The olive-backed sunbird is an excellent fit in terms of size and shape (including the curved bill), so I suspect what I saw is a close relative (or possibly a juvenile?)  It didn't have the bright yellow breast, and the colour on the underside (a greeny yellow) was only in the lower half.

10 minutes ago, Oxx said:

Thanks for the contributions.

Definitely a bird, not a moth.

The olive-backed sunbird is an excellent fit in terms of size and shape (including the curved bill), so I suspect what I saw is a close relative (or possibly a juvenile?)  It didn't have the bright yellow breast, and the colour on the underside (a greeny yellow) was only in the lower half.

Maybe a beeeater,had them nesting by the front door,they hovered around their nest while making improvements. They buit the nest in 2019,but did not use it ,came back in 2020 did some renos and left,this year they moved in had a family,that was wiped out in the latest very heavy rain storm.

7 hours ago, Oxx said:

Yes, probably an Olive Backed Sunbird, common around our area and similar size and shape as a hummingbird.

6 hours ago, norbra said:

Maybe a beeeater,had them nesting by the front door,they hovered around their nest while making improvements. They buit the nest in 2019,but did not use it ,came back in 2020 did some renos and left,this year they moved in had a family,that was wiped out in the latest very heavy rain storm.

Bee-eaters are  twice the size of Sunbirds, maybe a bit big. We get a lot of Chestnut-headed Bee-eaters in our garden, wish they would nest, beautiful birds and amazing to watch.

Maybe look up sunbirds or bee eaters.

We have both down here on Samui.

They hover and take nectar from the flowers.

Many different colours  (yellow, yellow and blue, green red and yellow) and all very cute.

(Sorry but I am not an ornithologist. I just love the nature around my house. These are stock photos.)

Sunbirds | Thai Birding Photography

Olive-backed Sunbird(F) - Thai Birding Photography

Birds of Koh Samui, Thailand: The Best Birds to See + FAQs ...

• Like 1