Storm last night Pattaya

fredscats

Worst storm ever experienced,went on for an hour at least,about 8 storm centres Id say  all one local area,knocked off power instantly the first lightening strike struck nearby transformer,intensive rain   lashed it down

Edited by fredscats
sp
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

I am North of town and I was watching it thinking Pattaya was getting hit. It was lighting up the sky like a Firework display and I saw several bolts go very directly to ground. It was pretty noisy where I was so expect it was more so there. I was counting and it seemed to bypass me.. but nevertheless it was quite an electrical event.... probably an inch of rain here. I get nervous, I have had 2 nearby lightening strikes in the past and one cost me substantially, with electrical equipment (Gate control, TVs, DVD player, laptop ports) damaged. ,

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

Hardly noticed it at all. Not as bad as some previous storms. No power outage around the Soi Khao Noi area. At one point the rain slacked off for a bit and then came hammering down hard enough to wake me but then a minute later it tapered off again and that was it. 
No leaks in the roof this time, unlike some previous storms that were windy enough to cause the roof tiles to shift. 
By 05:00 everything around here had already dried up. I suspect the usual places probably flooded again.

I have my TVs/computers on UPSs that also provide surge protection. So there's circuit breakers on the UPS and on the power bars. So far, so good. 

Every time I go to soi Batman now I see people building barriers (sandbag or cement block) in their entranceways as the water levels seem to be getting higher every time it floods lately. I noticed that water was still draining from the area 3 days after the previous rain.

Also saw that they (the city) is working on the old drainage canal near the pumping station closest to the Khao Noi/Railway bypass intersection, though I'm not sure if they are trying to improve it or cover it up so something can be built on top of it.

Looked at it yesterday and you could see old cement columns buried in the mud 7-8 meters (20ish feet) below the surface, as though something else had been there before and was disappeared decades ago. (Pics from 9 years ago show it as a channel choked with vegetation and the area around it undeveloped so if something had been built there, it must have been quite a long time ago. There's rebar sticking out of the cement so it's not "ancient".)

Lol - the channel they were mucking out yesterday is probably a lake today. Especially as the 1 meter drain pipe that used to be there has been lifted and set off to the side.

• Like 1

Weather is perfect in Thailand, how can this have happened?

I forgot you need a canoe to get around Pattaya.

No electricity as well.

That's third world infrastructure for you.

I believe this inclement weather has been going on for a month?

Ah well, makes a nice change from hot, humid and clammy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

Freaking loud here on the dark side and my wife thought, the world was going to end. But we did not get a lot of rain, only 2-3cm according to my pool fill level. Also no outages, which is kind of special, normally in such situations, electricity is gone for few hours.

Same for where we are by Lake Mabprachan. 

I live 30km east of Pattaya.  Storms often seem to stay in the bay or rotate around Pattaya without ever reaching us.  Same last night, could see the activity over the City but just slight rain for us. Unfortunately Silver Lake  does not get as much as the City so still needs more before the dry season. 

4 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

No electricity as well.

That's third world infrastructure for you.

If lightning hits a transformer then night night - but it's one transformer not the whole of Pattaya.

I'm central/north Pattaya and as others said was not that bad here compared to the ones a couple of weeks ago.

Yup, it was a ok storm. Plenty bigger electrical stuff in my time here.

Sammieuk1 asks "Where is the Beach"

I'm guessing it is mostly at the bottom of my soi.

Some developer moved up hill from us. Cleared the land, trees gone and stopped developing some 4 year ago.

Now our downside dwellers have Khaotalo Beach sand after every rain.

Lucky I bought on a rise.

On 10/6/2021 at 6:41 AM, jacko45k said:

I am North of town and I was watching it thinking Pattaya was getting hit. It was lighting up the sky like a Firework display and I saw several bolts go very directly to ground. It was pretty noisy where I was so expect it was more so there. I was counting and it seemed to bypass me.. but nevertheless it was quite an electrical event.... probably an inch of rain here. I get nervous, I have had 2 nearby lightening strikes in the past and one cost me substantially, with electrical equipment (Gate control, TVs, DVD player, laptop ports) damaged. ,

I've some electrical appliances go before. Claimed on the house insurance, no problems.

On 10/6/2021 at 7:07 AM, bbko said:

In past years here in Thailand it was lighting/thunderstorms like last night that sent electricity up my legs when I was in ankle deep water trying to clear a blocked drainage hole and lighting struck nearby, or another time blew out my TV even though my home is grounded.  Now when a storm is nearby/overhead I don't go out and I unplug everything and switch the circuit breaker.

GOOD IDEA turning all off.......used to do same in UK

On 10/5/2021 at 5:21 PM, Peterw42 said:

Earth/ground doesn't provide surge/lightning protection. Earth s to protect you if an appliance is faulty and becomes live to touch. 

Is a surge protector up to the task, or is unplugging everything the only thing you can do? Or throwing the main switch?

3 hours ago, elgenon said:

Is a surge protector up to the task, or is unplugging everything the only thing you can do? Or throwing the main switch?

I would say unplugging everything.... electronic equipment. And if you have wired cable TV/Internet (as opposed to fiber optic), that too. Gate opener... if you can isolate the power do it... although it can still get zapped. Did my palm tree in too!

I was a bit stir crazy for a minute or two....

Edited by jacko45k

18 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I would say unplugging everything.... electronic equipment. And if you have wired cable TV/Internet (as opposed to fiber optic), that too. Gate opener... if you can isolate the power do it... although it can still get zapped. Did my palm tree in too!

I was a bit stir crazy for a minute or two....

Built in appliances could be tricky to unplug.

Thanks