Inferior Land Rights Question

My ex-girlfriend just bought a piece of land in her vilage in, guess where, Isaan.

It turned out that there was no proper title, but just a paper at the Amphur she called 'bai sue khai'. She said it was quite usual in the countryside. Searching the net I just found Sor Kor 1, but I.m not sure it's that. Alarmingly, one site even said that it was not allowed to build any construction on such land.

Anyone has an idea what it could be and how big the risk of such (non-)ownership is, especially if she wants to build a house on that land?

I built our house on land which has absolutely no paperwork at all. I went to the land office and made sure of exactly what the status was and decided to build since it is actually in a village and about a dozen of my neighbors have already built on thier land which has no paperwork either. If your friends land is IN a village and the neighbors have built on similarly titled land then its probably OK to do the same.

But don't forget the good advice that in Thailand never invest in anything that you can't just walk away from in the event that it all falls through.

I built our house on land which has absolutely no paperwork at all. I went to the land office and made sure of exactly what the status was and decided to build since it is actually in a village and about a dozen of my neighbors have already built on thier land which has no paperwork either. If your friends land is IN a village and the neighbors have built on similarly titled land then its probably OK to do the same.

But don't forget the good advice that in Thailand never invest in anything that you can't just walk away from in the event that it all falls through.

Thanks for the advice. I will try to find out more...

In fact I'm walking away from it the moment I pay it, and it's not so terribly much. But it still would be a pity if it goes down the drain again.

Its very common practice here. I live in a house where our land is rented from the government , the land is grandfathered ---indefinitely. WE do have a tambian baan tho. And the best part is the prices have tripled in three years in our oceanfront village since we got ours.