Friends Xbox 360 Still Broken....

davejonesbkk

My friends Xbox 360 got the 3 red lights several months ago, he tried MBK, no luck they didnt know how to fix it. Then he sent it to someone who was quite experienced in this field in Phuket, he kept it for a while and had it working for a week but as soon as he got it back in BKK it didnt work, just got the 3 red lights again.

So basically its just sat there now, so Im posting to see if there is anyone out there who can try to fix it (preferably in bkk) for a fee of course, or perhaps someone might want to buy it at a discounted price?

Cheers

David

You could try a trick that sometimes works. Wrap a towel tight around the 360, turn it on for around 15 minutes to half an hour (it should get really hot). Turn it off, let it cool off and turn it on again.

In some cases the ring of death is gone. Doesnt works always though. The 360 is a nice machine but a lot of them break down at some point.

You could try a trick that sometimes works. Wrap a towel tight around the 360, turn it on for around 15 minutes to half an hour (it should get really hot). Turn it off, let it cool off and turn it on again.

In some cases the ring of death is gone. Doesnt works always though. The 360 is a nice machine but a lot of them break down at some point.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you serious!!!??? How could that possibly help???

I have never done it myself. I seem to be lucky with me 360, i have it from release date and never had any trouble.

A friend of mine did this trick and it worked for a while. After a few months it did break down again though. Somewhere on the xbox.com boards you can find the full explanation, but it is basically what i said. I cant access the xbox.com board from my work (where i am now) so cant point out the thread itself. It should not be to hard to find though.

Yo!

When did your friend buy the Xbox? Is it an old one? How was he using it? Was it stood upright or lying flat when it broke. Excess heat, especially in Thailand is a killer combo for xboxs (esp. the old ones).

My buddy had his break and was told that the chip configuration from the factory was glitched (not enough heat sinks to cool it down). This was common with the older ones. The new ones are more reliable.

He had his fixed in the uk. And I can't advise you on places in Thailand as its a desert for things like that, BUT if you are an electronics guru or want to have a go, you could search the net and attempt to fix it yourself. This will mean soldering and removing/inserting chips but if its already broken you've nothing to lose right? I'm pretty sure the heat sink is what the problem is and it needs a new heatsink and a chip moving, best thing to do is call this guy in Phuket and ask him what the hel_l he did to get it working.

Everybody owning an Xbox (new or old) should ensure that its in a cool open place in the room, stuffing them in tiny enclosures and cabinets to look tidy is one way of frying your wonder machine! Good luck in fixing the beast!

I also got the 3 rings of death .... took it in to get repaired 2 weeks ago, they said it woud take 2 days .... still waiting :o

I'd love to say ###### Microsoft and never buy one again, but some great games have just come out and coming out in the near future .... So I might have to give in and buy a core system, as I have the hard dirve and 2 wireless controllers and headset already ....

######ing scandalous that a thing that price can break down in 5 months and you can't do anything about it :D

I'm the same, took mine back to mbk, where i bought it from. They said they would fix it for about 1500bht. It's only 4 months old. I've been waiting for 3 weeks. Hopefully be ready soon, but i'm not convinced that it will stay working for long. I won't buy another one cause I know it will fry again. I think when i do get it back i will keep a fan constantly on it full speed.

The theory is that when they soldered the BGA CPU on, they used lead free solder (YEAH!! for ROHS). Since lead free solder has a much lower melting point, and doesn't seem to "stick" as well, eventually those CPUs work their way free, if only fractionally. So wrapping them in a towel appears to heat the box up enough to let the solder points get a better grip.

This line of thought seems to be confirmed by the latest Xbox360 release, the Elite model. Upon breaking it down, it's been discovered that Microsoft has attached the CPU more firmly. The kicker is that they used an adhesive around the edge next to the motherboard. Imagine the caulking of a sink, and you get an idea.

Guest Reimar

I do not understand you guy's!! Buying stuff for 15,000 upward without warranty??

If something real and original that has a warranty from minimum1 year!

So, where's your warranties?? Or you buy Black Market stuff or Black Imported or a Copy?!

If you bught the original one, you have a warranty! Why than you give it to some 3. party??

Come on guy's be serious! Many thing, even original can go wrong but I read here the stories which looks like not toooooo original?! Otherwise, bring it to your dealer and claim it!!

Edited by Reimar

Guest Reimar
The Xbox 360 isn't officially available in Thailand, so there are no dealers or warranties.

Personally I have 4 xbox 360's and never had a problem with any of them.

For some you're right: there isn't a certified dealer in Thailand! But the product warranty still applies!

Take a look at: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemse...es/warranty.htm which is the international side from Microsdoft - XBox!

There also some phone numbers for service and support on the webpage of XBox.

Still I don't understand why don't use the legal warranty because if bought legal, the warranty still applies!!

Quote from your link

"This Limited Warranty is valid only in the United States of America and Canada."

You can't buy a "legit" xbox 360 here, as they have not released the xbox 360 in Thailand yet - therefore all the 360's here are grey imports, and not covered by warranty. The shops you buy the import from can not return the product to the manufacturer in case of problems, so they can not reasonably provide any sort of warranty.

I actually got a warranty agreed with my shop purchase but that was him backing it up and he wasnt too happy about it.. Made him write out on the reciept purchase date and 1 year warrantee etc..

Doubt it would have held up for a real problem but at least he would have been forced to attempt to help more than 'no go away' (anyway I find hes a stand up guy)..

The MS reliability is horrendous on these tho.. See many guy on the xbox-scene forums on thier 3rd or 4th box !!

Then add in as Ben states theres no effective warrantee here through legit channels and it just means I am happy mines still trucking along..

Ok thanks for the input guys.

My friend got his box a while ago but NOT from MBK. It was chipped and apparently imported from Singapore, no idea if its old or new batch, broke within about 2-3 months of him having it. I got mine from MBK this Jan, only probs Ive had so far have been it scratching a few disks so now I lay it flat. Im terrified of the heat problem so I keep it well ventilated and either keep the air on when I play or point a fan at it.

For those of you who are having yr boxes repaired can you keep us updated so I know where to go if mine does get the 3 red lights...cheers.

BenH3 Why do you have 4 boxes? Interested in selling one?

Dave