Non-immigrant B Visa / Extension Of Stay

Bobcat

Just did a search of the downloadable forms here.

Not sure about the non-immigrant O visa, but the Thai name for the for extension of stay is:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...&showfile=7 and you'll get the name at the top:

kham kho anoyarht puea yuu nai ratchaanajak pen karn chua kraw dor bai.

If by extension of stay you mean visa renewal, try: "dtor ah-yoo wi-saa" (to renew visa).

(Sorry for not writing Thai script: apparently, nobody can read it from my Macintosh computer, which requires a text-encoding change to see)

Why not add a signature to your profile, something like 'to view my thai script, select view-encoding-more-Unicode (UTF-8) for windows explorer or view-character encoding-Unicode (UTF-8) for Mozilla Firefox'. It really is simple for windows people to see your thai characters so long as they know they are unicode UTF-8.

Not sure about the non-immigrant O visa, but the Thai name for the for extension of stay is:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?au...&showfile=7 and you'll get the name at the top:

If by extension of stay you mean visa renewal, try: "dtor ah-yoo wi-saa" (to renew visa).

(Sorry for not writing Thai script: apparently, nobody can read it from my Macintosh computer, which requires a text-encoding change to see)

Mangkorn, your script isn't viewable at first but it's no trouble to enable unicode (UTF-8) to make it viewable. Please continue posting in Thai script. For firefox we simply select "view" from the drop down lists at the top of the browser, then "character encoding" then "unicode (UTF-8)" If unidode (UTF-8) isn't listed under character encodings then select "more encodings" and then "unicode"

Now back to topic. If by extension of stay the OP meant "notifying immigration of staying longer than 90 days" while on an extended non-immigrant visa then the form name is แบบการแจ้งอยู่เกินกวา90 วัน ของบุคคลต่างด้าว bàep gaan jâeng yòo gern gwaa 90 wan kŏng bòok-ká-kon dtàang dâao

"Non-Immigrant B Visa" - การตรวจลงตราประเภทคนอยู่ชั่วคราว รหัส B

"Extension of Stay" - การขอขยายระยะเวลาการอยู่ต่อ

Mangkorn, your script isn't viewable at first but it's no trouble to enable unicode (UTF-8) to make it viewable. Please continue posting in Thai script. For firefox we simply select "view" from the drop down lists at the top of the browser, then "character encoding" then "unicode (UTF-8)" If unidode (UTF-8) isn't listed under character encodings then select "more encodings" and then "unicode"

Now back to topic. If by extension of stay the OP meant "notifying immigration of staying longer than 90 days" while on an extended non-immigrant visa then the form name is à¹à¸šà¸šà¸à¸²à¸£à¹à¸ˆà¹‰à¸‡à¸­à¸¢à¸¹à¹ˆà¹€à¸à¸´à¸™à¸à¸§à¸²90 วัน ของบุคคลต่างด้าว baÌ€ep gaan jaÌ‚eng yoÌ€o gern gwaa 90 wan kŏng boÌ€ok-kaÌ-kon dtaÌ€ang daÌ‚ao

(Unicode UTF-8 Text Encoding Alert): Thanks, CSS. But I got quite confused because even one of the super moderators wrote that he could not read Thai script on my posts, and - being a super moderator - I assumed that he had seen those various posts mentioning the problem, and the proposed Unicode solution, but that it still didn't work. Another one actually called it "a nuisance" to even have to bother, and so I started to feel เสียหน้าà¹à¸¥à¹‰à¸§ ฯลฯ But I'll keep at it now, as per new suggestions.

Re: the topic at hand, at immigration offices, the officials tend to say "90-day sa-tey," so I think that is one time you don't need the entire formal phrase. Same goes for the full, formal name for the Immigration Department, which even some Thais may not be very familiar with; it seems better to say the abbreviated ตอ มอ which is most common. That's how immigration officials say that, and so it can be vital to know, in order to recognize it if - for example - they tell you at the One-Stop that you must go to across town to the central immigration office to resolve one thing or another (which may happen). First time it happened to me, I had no clue as to what "dtor mor" might mean, and it sure confused me. That's also how taxi drivers know the place, which is very important.

By the way, in a minor defense of thailanguage.com, which seems to be shunned by some posters here, that site readily provides the name for the Immigration Department, while Thai2English gives only the general term for immigration. When I was new here and tried to find my way to those offices, I consulted a dictionary, and then put the word for "department" together with the word for "immigration," and tried to get several taxi drivers to take me to à¸à¸£à¸¡à¸à¸²à¸£à¸­à¸žà¸¢à¸ž

As you would expect, that resulted in total frustration and failure, and I ended up walking two kilometres to get there... :D

Now, I have renewed my non-immigrant visa a couple of times, and while Khun Yoot is obviously correct about the formal term for extension of stay, I have found that even the government officials prefer to say ต่ออายุวีซ่า

Thais often abbreviate long words and phrases, even by simply dropping out some of the components (as in the words for hospital and university, to give just two of countless examples), to make them easier to say. Thus it is very useful to know how Thais say things in practice, and not just formally.

I mention it because I can just imagine a beginner trying to work his mouth around à¹à¸šà¸šà¸à¸²à¸£à¹à¸ˆà¹‰à¸‡à¸­à¸¢à¸¹à¹ˆà¹€à¸à¸´à¸™à¸à¸§à¸²90 วัน ของบุคคลต่างด้าว, or à¸à¸²à¸£à¸‚อขยายระยะเวลาà¸à¸²à¸£à¸­à¸¢à¸¹à¹ˆà¸•à¹ˆà¸

à¸à¸²à¸£à¸•à¸£à¸§à¸ˆà¸¥à¸‡à¸•à¸£à¸²à¸›à¸£à¸°à¹€à¸ à¸—คนอยู่ชัà¹

วคราว รหัส B - to those impatient and humourless bureaucrats over there. (I mean no disrespect to Thais: bureaucrats are the same everywhere; actually, the Thai ones are better than most).

The "90-day stay" notwithstanding, I personally think it's best to avoid falling back on English, if possible. (In some cases, it might not do you much good anyway.) Even from the very start, I always insisted on trying to understand, and make myself understood, in Thai, even at immigration, and the bank, and at the revenue department. Perhaps it was because I am just stubborn, and it was an ego-challenge, but I think that the more you challenge yourself in the very difficult situations, the more you will learn - out of urgent necessity. Just try talking about the requirements of the Thai tax code at your district office (in mine, nobody speaks English anyway), and you shall quickly learn several words that are far beyond the scope of any beginner language classes - and for some reason - those are the kinds of words you don't forget. Likewise, as a reporter still relatively new in the country, I found myself covering the tsunami disaster, and once I heard it the first time, I would never forget that Thai word สถานที่เà¸à¹‡à¸šà¸¨à¸ž (morgue).

Thanks for indulging the long post - I was actually afraid I might have to quit this forum, if the Thai script could not be read :o