Air Carriage Rule On Liquid Display Enforced Today

george

[

No problem. Medicine is acceptable with the correct documentation.

thanks - but don't forget this is Thailand. I will carry a doctor's note, and I will contact the airline and the travel agent - but at the end of the day who can say if their information/advice will be correct?

Who can say definitively what the 'CORRECT' documentation is?

That is my dilemma. I'm not talking about having a bottle of whisky confiscated. If they seize my insulin I won't be able to get on the plane.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It continues to amaze me at the acute level of whining that is directed towards the U.S.A.

If you have to display liquids or there are liquid restrictions on aircraft: blame it on the US.

If there is a financial ripple in the global economy: blame it on the US.

If any sort of debris is lodged in unseen and unspoken areas: blame it on the US.

God help us all if the US is wrong about something or demonstrates something less than perfection on anything: Whiners come forth and...well whine.

Is there anything else that needs to be whined about? Please note that I am aware of the difference between discussioon and whining.

For those without a clue let me remind you that terrorist have always targeted aircraft (and Americans for that matter). The Spanish found out that bombs do real damage to real people. If the foiled plot in England had not been found out, the Brits might hold the record for terrorist deaths (instead of Americans). Are the people doing the whining here so lost in there own importance to miss the big picture of the real world that we live in?

If security wants to check my luggage for liquids: fine. If I have to buy my whiskey at my destination vs. my origination: fine. When it comes to pat-down; I ask for the female security officer to offset my trouble.

Do the whiners think that Richard Reed was only going to kill Americans if he could have gotten his shoes to go off? I am sure that there were whiners on that aircraft and on the four aircraft that perished on 9/11.

If you don't like airport security, then walk.

The problem with real world stuff is the only people that understand it are not the problem in the first place.

For all of the good people that are just looking for information about getting though a normal flight easier; please excuse my whining.

Well said! Blame America for all of the ills of the world, but when crap hits the fan you know who the world calls for!

Have a look at the back page of today's Bangkok Post. You can see a picture of discarded bottles at the airport. There's a half-used bottle of fish sauce in there. Straight up.

I always thought that was an urban myth that Thais always take a bottle of fish sauce with them when they go abroad. Apparently not!

Edited by Briggsy

It seems some people here must have lead a sheltered life for some time.

I learnt about dynamite, blasting caps and det-cord in my mid-teens. Shaped charges and plastic explosives in my 20's, and how to make stuff like Thermite in my 30's.

You can make a lot of nasty stuff in your basement, like Picric Acid, with some pretty simple equipment and ingredients. How ever, many of those nasty things are so volatile that one little slip and you won't be worrying about much of anything anymore.

I do think the ban on liquids is a little redundant though. If you really wanted to, and were willing to die in the process, there are more effective ways than trying to mix some chemicals on a plane.

i have flown internationally twice in the last couple weeks with lots of liquids in my carry on luggage. the only thing they cared about was the water bottle in my hand (both times). i am in penang now, flew here on the 2nd.

Edited by girlx

Under the terms of the regulation, passengers can carry liquid substances in containers not exceeding 100 millilitres with a total combined volume of not over one litre. Each passenger is allowed to carry only one bag of such substance.

But it is still perfectly ok to bring a golf club as carry-on luggage. Golf clubs can not possibly be used as weapons you see.

I flew out from bangkok to Guangzhou on sunday.

I went to the duty free ( king power of course ) and purchased a litre of single malt . I asked the lady if it was ok to take on the plane and she queried me as to my destination and if it would be a direct flight , and then told me it was ok . she sealed the whiskey in a clear plastic bag with the receipt and I went to the hand luggage check at the boarding area. The attendant checked the duty free and told me it was ok and then asked if I had any other liquids . I said no so he waved me through.

there you have my recent experience.

• 2 weeks later...

I was told today by Bangkok Airways that if i purchased 1 ltr of spirits at the duty free shop at heathrow left it in the original bag with the reciept that when i arrived at Bangkok and i wanted to fly down to Samui i could take the same bag as a carry-on,but if i stayed a night in Bangkok and wanted to fly down the next day i would have to put the bag in with main luggage.Anybody heard similar reports?

I was told today by Bangkok Airways that if i purchased 1 ltr of spirits at the duty free shop at heathrow left it in the original bag with the reciept that when i arrived at Bangkok and i wanted to fly down to Samui i could take the same bag as a carry-on,but if i stayed a night in Bangkok and wanted to fly down the next day i would have to put the bag in with main luggage.Anybody heard similar reports?

Makes logical sense to me. I'm assuming you are referring to transferring to the Bangkok Airways flight (i.e. using the Transfer Desk within the Terminal). In that case, you wouldn't be leaving the airport (or even the Departure Area) and it would be fairly safe to assume anything you have on you has already been screened.

However, once you step out of the airport, everything is suspect, even if you just step out of the Arrivals area and walk up to the Departure area. You shouldn't expect to be treated any differently than any other person that arrives at the check-in counter. After all, who knows what kind of fiddling you could do to that bottle during your night in Bangkok.

If 10 terrorist get on the same plane each carrying 100 ml bottles in a clear plastic bag max 1 litre each terrorist that means altogether they could make a bomb from 100 X 100 ml bottles which is 10 litres of whatever you make a bomb from :o

So it could still be done.

Well, this is also my opinion. If with children, no problem to take some more as "child-food".

In Europe these rules are to be improved as the costs of these checks are enourmous (approx. 30. mio EUR) and there are about 3 tons of waste every day, and the rise of security is dodgy. But i guess it's better for everybody to give back the whisky in Bangkok than to throw it away in Europe.

http://www.stern.de/lifestyle/reise/sonsti...ung/590854.html

P.S.

Bottles with only 0,1 litre of some drink are not easy to find;

Plastik-Bags with ZIP-lock can be found for the kitchen (18 for EUR 3) or for travel-purposes (3 for EUR 1)....

Edited by Sturbuc

However, once you step out of the airport, everything is suspect, even if you just step out of the Arrivals area and walk up to the Departure area. You shouldn't expect to be treated any differently than any other person that arrives at the check-in counter. After all, who knows what kind of fiddling you could do to that bottle during your night in Bangkok.

Well, maybe you don't remember that there's another screening before entering the gates in many airports as the public area (with shops etc.) isn't declared as save, see BKK, FRA, ZRH... So maybe now duty free purchases from TH (in sealed bags) are accepted as save when changing the plane in Europe.