Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thailand making progress with vaccinations?

cdemundo

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/world/covid-vaccinations-tracker.html

NYT vaccine tracker shows Thailand has 50% of population with 1 dose of vaccine, and 33% of population fully vaccinated.

Not meeting the goals the government had set, but seems to be making some progress.

Still hard to understand why there doesn't seem to be enough vaccines to go around.

Moderna promised for October? Is that true?

3 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Unlike many other countries, Thailand doesn't jab on weekends or public holidays. This can only slow progress. Typically Thai though, and i can imagine that EVERYONE stops between midday and 1pm to kin kaow

I was vaccinated on a Sunday, together with a massive number of other people, so I presume Thailand do vaccination on Sundays...????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Unlike many other countries, Thailand doesn't jab on weekends or public holidays. This can only slow progress. Typically Thai though, and i can imagine that EVERYONE stops between midday and 1pm to kin kaow

Vaccines are administered at the weekends but in much lower numbers. Typically 150k - 200k each on Sat/Sun compared with 700k - 800k on a week day

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mr_lob said:

Most certainly not true. My wife got hers on a Saturday. And the staff was eating their meal on site in shifts so that injections were not interrupted.

The past Mahidol day (a holiday) they topped 1M in a day in Thailand.

• Like 1

Considering that the early program was completely mangled and mismanaged, I believe it's coming along quite nicely and steady on for the last couple months - every week it zooms up another couple percentage points. 

Not to bad, compared to some of the world: to date 33.4% fully and about 73% partial. 

Could be worse. 

• Like 2

On 10/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, cdemundo said:

Still hard to understand why there doesn't seem to be enough vaccines to go around.

Are you sure that this is the reason? My impression is that many refuse the standard vaccinations offered, and opt to wait months and months for the ones of their choice. Also, there are many who refuse vaccination completely.

As for percentage, I think penetration to the countryside has been slow, but in dense areas we can't complain really. The number I have seen today for CM province (and that includes villages) is 60% of eligible population double-vaccinated. Remember that Thailand has a much younger demographics than most western countries, so the percentage of non-eligible is higher (eg. young kids).

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mr_lob said:

they slow down at weekends but don't stop

National Vaccination Rollout:

DAY 122: 730,807

DAY 123: 911,677

DAY 124: 1,010,072

DAY 125: 230,852 <— Sat

DAY 126: 688,481 <— Sun

DAY 127: 805,146

DAY 121: 962,558 = 1st jab 433,814 2nd jab 486,189 3rd jab 42,555

2 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Considering that the early program was completely mangled and mismanaged, I believe it's coming along quite nicely and steady on for the last couple months - every week it zooms up another couple percentage points. 

Not to bad, compared to some of the world: to date 33.4% fully and about 73% partial. 

Could be worse. 

Actually I think it's more like 54% partially vaccinated, but as you say, it is at least moving in the right direction and picking up speed

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

Could be worse. 

It's going to be carnage in Thailand if they reopen soon.

'UK confirms 45,066 new Covid cases, 157 deaths today

In the UK, the government confirmed today that there had been a further 45,066 lab-confirmed Covid cases.

It is the highest daily figure since mid-July.

The official data also confirmed a further 157 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid as of Thursday'

UK has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world as well as quite a bit of acquired immunity, and used the very best vaccines.  So I'd expect Thailand to reach about 80k plus within a month or two and possibly hundreds of deaths per day.

49 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

It's going to be carnage in Thailand if they reopen soon.

'UK confirms 45,066 new Covid cases, 157 deaths today

In the UK, the government confirmed today that there had been a further 45,066 lab-confirmed Covid cases.

It is the highest daily figure since mid-July.

The official data also confirmed a further 157 people had died within 28 days of testing positive for Covid as of Thursday'

UK has one of the highest vaccination rates in the world as well as quite a bit of acquired immunity, and used the very best vaccines.  So I'd expect Thailand to reach about 80k plus within a month or two and possibly hundreds of deaths per day.

British kids are not vaccinated, that s why they are rushing to vaccinate kids in Thailand with Pfizer at the moment. I m more optimistic than you, let s hope as many people as possible take the vaccine asap.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/english-school-return-spurred-covid-children-cases-fell-adults-study-2021-10-13/

8 hours ago, thaichina said:

British kids are not vaccinated, that s why they are rushing to vaccinate kids in Thailand with Pfizer at the moment. I m more optimistic than you, let s hope as many people as possible take the vaccine asap.

https://www.reuters.com/world/uk/english-school-return-spurred-covid-children-cases-fell-adults-study-2021-10-13/

Not just optimistic, but dangerously so in my opinion.  There will be far too many adults, particularly older ones, who will not be vaccinated.

About children, 50% of over 15's in UK already have antibodies.  Younger children are not being vaccinated.