Food courts in BKK

Thai Visa Member 999999

3 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,   if I am correct the supermarket is located down the stairs in front of McDonalds and if you turn right at the bottom of the stairs there is the food court. 

I thought those were mainly standalone restaurants ? As I said haven't been there in a year or so.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, tonray said:

I thought those were mainly standalone restaurants ? As I said haven't been there in a year or so.

It was the same as a food court with the small cooking stalls,  I remember the Yakisoba was ok there. 

There is also a couple of restaurants at the end of the food court as you mentioned, one was an MK i believe.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, tonray said:

You are right. There are two so I should be more precise. The first food court is right next to Bangrak Bazaar, where they sell clothes and things. It's a collection of around 20 food stalls. There is another food court inside the Robinsons building on the 4th floor. That's not as good in my opinion. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,   if I am correct the supermarket is located down the stairs in front of McDonalds and if you turn right at the bottom of the stairs there is the food court. 

Thanks I forgot about that one. I would like to know about the food court that is next to the Bangrak Bazaar. If you haven't been, you should try it as the food's good and cheap with a lot of different Thai food on offer. If the indoor one is open then I'm guessing the semi-open one is too. Or so I hope.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Thanks I forgot about that one. I would like to know about the food court that is next to the Bangrak Bazaar. If you haven't been, you should try it as the food's good and cheap with a lot of different Thai food on offer. If the indoor one is open then I'm guessing the semi-open one is too. Or so I hope.

The food court area outside did a big tourist trade with the Shangrila hotel right behind there. Might not be too many vendors until tourists come back in.

• Like 2

Just now, tonray said:

The food court area outside did a big tourist trade with the Shangrila hotel right behind there. Might not be too many vendors until tourists come back in.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Last I heard, your supposition was correct and there weren't many vendors. I think most of the customer traffic was Thai (particularly the Kerry office girls) but I don't know if that big office complex is open. There were always a lot of school kids as well later in the afternoon.  Do you guys find that most of your food vendors are still hawking? It's the 30B spicy som tam that makes me miss BKK so. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Do you guys find that most of your food vendors are still hawking?

Yeah...I'm up here in Bang Yai Nonthaburi these days...so very little difference as there was never any tourist trade...so business as usual pretty much. I miss that area...that used to be my Sunday exercise walk. Some days I'd walk from Saphan Taksin to the Jewelry Trade center building and then on to the Chong Nonsi BTS after a cold drink. Other days I'd walk the other direction to Asiatique and take the boat back (stopped that after the Chinese invasion made waiting for the boats very unpleasant). Up here....the biggest excitement is the night market or Central Westgate....I really miss Bangkok

Edited by tonray
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, tonray said:

Yeah...I'm up here in Bang Yai Nonthaburi these days...so very little difference as there was never any tourist trade...so business as usual pretty much. I miss that area...that used to be my Sunday exercise walk. Some days I'd walk from Saphan Taksin to the Jewelry Trade center building and then on to the Chong Nonsi BTS after a cold drink. Other days I'd walk the other direction to Asiatique and take the boat back (stopped that after the Chinese invasion made waiting for the boats very unpleasant). Up here....the biggest excitement is the night market or Central Westgate....I really miss Bangkok

Well, I don't think the Chinese are currently allowed outside to play in Thailand so now's a good time to revisit your old walks.  I live near Asiatique and go running in Lumpini and then stop back at the food court to pick up dinner. Near on two years I've been missing it. Bangkok's a great city. Better stop before I have a sob ???? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, tonray said:

yes,  it was good 25+  yrs ago, I liked it then. Like you, i'd walk from soi 20 Sukhumvit (Asoke) down to MBK past Siam and back, use to see alot of interesting characters on the way.  Use to drink in Queens park plaza bars and once or twice over to Washington square, Silver dollar, George ( can't remember his last name)  I think was the owner.  

ahhhh ......  those were the days   !  Lol

Edited by steven100
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, mtls2005 said:

A lot of food courts in the tourist-y areas seem to be running at much lower occupancy, or are in the process of being refurbished.

When you say "under Robinsons" you mean near Asoke?

Maybe try to food court at Terminal 21?

There's a Robinsons at Bangrak not far from BTS Suphan Taksin. T21 is good but too far for everyday. I wasn't even sure if T21 would be open to be honest. I guess it's not gonna be as bad as I feared. Seems like most everything is open to some degree.

5 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

A lot of food courts in the tourist-y areas seem to be running at much lower occupancy, or are in the process of being refurbished.

When you say "under Robinsons" you mean near Asoke?

Maybe try to food court at Terminal 21?

yes,    you can't beat Terminal 21 food court for value .....  clean and the food tastes good. Duck, pork.

IMG_20210918_120017.thumb.jpg.038fe334bee5263107384a592f042a19.jpg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

Well, I don't think the Chinese are currently allowed outside to play in Thailand so now's a good time to revisit your old walks.  I live near Asiatique and go running in Lumpini and then stop back at the food court to pick up dinner. Near on two years I've been missing it. Bangkok's a great city. Better stop before I have a sob ???? 

And I really don't have a problem with the Chinese tourists...it's just the volume at Asiatique means a 40 minute wait for the boat line back to Saphan Taksin on the weekends. Easier to walkk back or take a taxi.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, tonray said:

And I really don't have a problem with the Chinese tourists...it's just the volume at Asiatique means a 40 minute wait for the boat line back to Saphan Taksin on the weekends. Easier to walkk back or take a taxi.

You can just hop on the red number 15 bus and you don't have to wait long. I think they raised it to 10 B coin from 8.5 after I left. The younger the driver, the further you stand from the open door lest you exit "early".  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes,    you can't beat Terminal 21 food court for value .....  clean and the food tastes good. Duck, pork.

IMG_20210918_120017.thumb.jpg.038fe334bee5263107384a592f042a19.jpg

I agree it's good value and I believe the vendors pay little for rent. There's only one veg stall though and there's not a lot of rotation but for 50-100B, it's great. Pra Ram 3 has a good food court I think. Best tofu I've ever had and I never have liked the stuff. Anyplace(s) else?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thai Visa Member 999999 said:

I agree it's good value and I believe the vendors pay little for rent. There's only one veg stall though and there's not a lot of rotation but for 50-100B, it's great. Pra Ram 3 has a good food court I think. Best tofu I've ever had and I never have liked the stuff. Anyplace(s) else?

Just about everybody has a veg option this week...just look for the yellow flags

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

Sounds as though you're describing the food court in Tops under Robinson's, Sukhumvit Soi 17/19, not Bangrak, unless their design/positioning and McDonalds is exactly the same everywhere. 

There is a food court in the "Asoke" shop but I don't believe it is currently operating.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, userabcd said:

Terminal 21 food court on the 5th floor is not far away.

There are 3 diff vegetarian stalls now.

Thanks. I'll definitely check them out. I live by Asiatique so to get down to T21, it's a BTS ride and I have had an old Thai grandma tell others that I stink on the BTS after going running so I'm trying not to offend. She didn't know that I could understand her. ???? ???? Thanks for the tip. I'll look for the additional veg stalls.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mark5335 said:

That particular food court is definitely closed. I was in the adjacent Tops last week and the food court remains closed and looks like it will be a while before it re-opens.

Thanks. That probably means that the big food court next to the bazaar is still closed as I had been told. Maybe that will open after Thursday's meeting.