Accuracy of Cheap Test Kits

Danderman123

I know some ladies who have flu-like symptoms so they bought cheap Covid test kits, and a couple show positive results. 

One re-tested a couple of days later and was negative. Another went to a hospital to get a real test, but is awaiting results. 

All of them recovered from the symptoms and feel fine now. 

The conclusion is that the cheap test kits are useless. 

Edited by Danderman123
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

a week ago hospitals in the South discontinued to use Lepu atk's after some 85 (out of 1000) were false positive.

Probably as many were false negative.

So up to 17% can be false results - even if done professionally by an experienced nurse.

Still, from 80b per kit they can be used even daily.

CPR's are from 2500b.

One private clinic in Thonglor doing cpr's for 2500b will charge an additional 3500b if test turns positive - they will have to report to health authorities and coordinate with them your hospital placement. That's probably how they are making profit.

I have flu symptoms for over 2 weeks now and done 5 tests, all negative 

Edited by internationalism
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, internationalism said:

a week ago hospitals in the South discontinued to use Lepu atk's after some 85 (out of 1000) were false positive.

Probably as many were false negative.

So up to 17% can be false results - even if done professionally by an experienced nurse.

Still, from 80b per kit they can be used even daily.

CPR's are from 2500b.

One private clinic in Thonglor doing cpr's for 2500b will charge an additional 3500b if test turns positive - they will have to report to health authorities and coordinate with them your hospital placement. That's probably how they are making profit.

I have flu symptoms for over 2 weeks now and done 5 tests, all negative 

Why not get an RT-PCR test to be sure? 

Never had a problem with the 5 ATK tests I did with the Roche Kit(now 1199 for a box 5 test kits).  I did a self test the day before a PCR test and both came back “not detected”.  My plan is to self test on a somewhat regular basis and a day before a PCR test.  For me the ATK tests have been a good screening tool.  

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, vinci said:

i think to work or not is depend on how a person nasal swab their mucus, some are afraid of stick it all the way up there 

Not all ATK's are nasal swab, most I thought were saliva, thats the ones we've used anyway.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sqwakvfr said:

Never had a problem with the 5 ATK tests I did with the Roche Kit(now 1199 for a box 5 test kits).  I did a self test the day before a PCR test and both came back “not detected”.  My plan is to self test on a somewhat regular basis and a day before a PCR test.  For me the ATK tests have been a good screening tool.  

Probably the Roche test is higher quality than the Chinese stuff.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sqwakvfr said:

Where could you buy the Roche test?

28 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

Just a question?  Does any of these test distinguish whether you have Covid or just a seasonal flu?  Since covid one doesn't hear any longer whether a person is just under the weather for a day or two you cough and everyone look then run?

All of these tests are designed to detect Covid, and not other illnesses. The Covid virus is fairly unique. 

No competent medical personnel would confuse Covid with the flu, if that is where you are going. 

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 11:26 AM, Doctor Tom said:

These test kits are laughingly inaccurate and totally useless. 

We know 3 thais who presented with symptoms and did a 300 baht test. It showed positive result. Then they did the test at govt hospital and it also showed covid positive. I was surprised as I thought the same as you before this happened. True story. 

On 10/13/2021 at 11:26 AM, Doctor Tom said:

These test kits are laughingly inaccurate and totally useless. 

I think the UK government would disagree, for a long time children have been using them before going to school, many have to use them before going to work and many events require they be used before attending.

Even at 50%, taken at the time, it would be a lot better infection indicator than a vaccine passport or a PCR taken 3 days previous.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bbabythai said:

We know 3 thais who presented with symptoms and did a 300 baht test. It showed positive result. Then they did the test at govt hospital and it also showed covid positive. I was surprised as I thought the same as you before this happened. True story. 

Yeah, my friend got a positive result from a cheap test kit, and then was positive at the hospital, too. 

On 10/14/2021 at 3:21 PM, bbabythai said:

That is one example, I will give you another.  My son and his wife both started showing symptoms of Covid, both took the test kit, both negative. Subsequent PCRs showed that they did indeed have the virus. I would suggest from various reports around the world  that there are many more examples of an incorrect test result with the test kits' than tests that proved to be accurate. 

• Like 1

My girlfriends family just had a round with Covid.

Started with 2 in the family waking up with fever. Took home test- both positive. Brought to the hospital for PCR test- both positive and hospitalized.

The three others in the house test negative on the home test.

They also go to the hospital that day to take PCR- all negative.

They go into 14 days home quarantine.

6 days into the home-quarantine 1 of the remaining 3 gets a fever. Takes the home test which shows up positive. Taken to the hospital for PCR which is positive and hospitalized.

The 2 other negative on home test.

3 more days goes by when 1 of the 2 remaining gets a fever. Takes the home test- positive. Off to the hospital where PCR is positive and she gets hospitalized. 

Last person still showing negative home test.

13 days after the first case in the house, and 4 days since the last case, one person in the house still going strong with no symptoms and negative home test.

I would say these home tests are worth every single bath even if they are not as accurate as the PCR

Edited by MrMilk
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MrMilk said:

Started with 2 in the family waking up with fever. Took home test- both positive. Brought to the hospital for PCR test- both positive and hospitalized.

The three others in the house test negative on the home test. They also went to the hospital that day to take PCR- all negative.

6 days into the home-quarantine 1 of the remaining 3 gets a fever. Takes the home test which shows up positive. Taken to the hospital for PCR which is positive and hospitalized.

3 more days goes by when 1 of the 2 remaining gets a fever. Takes the home test- positive. Off to the hospital where PCR is positive and she gets hospitalized. 

13 days after the first case in the house, and 4 days since the last case, one person in the house still going strong with no symptoms and negative home test.

I would say these home tests are worth every single bath even if they are not as accurate as the PCR

I am always curious when individuals are exposed to Covid, but are not infected. There should be more research into that.

False negatives are more likely than false positives with lateral flow, if they are done properly. I don't know if it applies to the very cheap tests here, but rapid tests have been found to be a lot more accurate than first thought. Around 80% for detection and 90% for detection of someone who is infectious. 
https://www.dovepress.com/recalibrating-sars-cov-2-antigen-rapid-lateral-flow-test-relative-sens-peer-reviewed-fulltext-article-CLEP

They said the original figures were skewed comparing them to PCR results because PCR will continue to show positive for a while after infection (sometimes for months), even though the infection is no longer active. That was initially taken to mean lateral flow tests were failing to detect active infections, whereas actually it was PCR tests detecting inactive infections.

Edited by Polar Bear

On 10/14/2021 at 8:32 PM, Danderman123 said:

Yeah, my friend got a positive result from a cheap test kit, and then was positive at the hospital, too. 

Since I was exposed to my infected friend, I went to Bangkok Hospital Pattaya for RT-PCR, and fortunately I am Covid negative. I never bothered with an antigen test.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:16 AM, Doctor Tom said:

That is one example, I will give you another.  My son and his wife both started showing symptoms of Covid, both took the test kit, both negative. Subsequent PCRs showed that they did indeed have the virus. I would suggest from various reports around the world  that there are many more examples of an incorrect test result with the test kits' than tests that proved to be accurate. 

Can I see evidence please- otherwise its just another story. Please attach photos. Thanks

On 10/17/2021 at 10:38 AM, MrMilk said:

The three others in the house test negative on the home test.

They also go to the hospital that day to take PCR- all negative.

I have to agree. But Dr Tom would not