Taxi Touts

Can anyone confirm if taxi touts are gone out of airport. While in Samui on holiday, my GF, who works at airport, received a call from friend saying that was the case. Friend says in two seperate incidents a tourist going to Pattaya accepted offer from pretty tout. In van individual was offered drink and then woke on side of motorway minus all baggage and money. Has anyone heard anything about this?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a simple challenge. Has anyone on this board ever personally been drugged and had all their goods taken from them? From this board it would seem everyone has heard of such stories but it's always hearsay - friend of a friend-type stuff. So, let's have some actual experiences.

Me? No. Never. Largely cos I think it's yet another farang urban myth.

Anyone?

As for so-called touts. They exist at every airport I travel to, without exception. In the last few months I've been approached variously at Heathrow, LAX, Beijing, Jakarta, Singapore and KL. Oh, and Narita too.

It's very very easy to say no.

Edited by bendix

sod it bendix ,

I'm tired of the excuse that these things happen all over ......

this is Thai Visa and we're talking about Thailand ,

and since when did the fact that these things happen elsewhere equate to an excuse , scheest .

Seriously Mid, what is the big deal with it? I'm not trying to condone it. I'm just saying that it is very very very easy to say no and walk past them.

You seem to feel very strongly about it. I have no idea why. I would have thought there were many other aspects of modern life that might give more cause for such concern.

Here's a simple challenge. Has anyone on this board ever personally been drugged and had all their goods taken from them? From this board it would seem everyone has heard of such stories but it's always hearsay - friend of a friend-type stuff. So, let's have some actual experiences.

Me? No. Never. Largely cos I think it's yet another farang urban myth.

Anyone?

As for so-called touts. They exist at every airport I travel to, without exception. In the last few months I've been approached variously at Heathrow, LAX, Beijing, Jakarta, Singapore and KL. Oh, and Narita too.

It's very very easy to say no.

Touts?

Never been hassled at Heathrow, Gatwick, Brussels, Milano, Paris CDG or Roissy, Munchen, Amsterdam, Oslo, Helsinki, Lyon, Hannover, JFK, Atlanta, LA, San Diego, Seattle, Frankfurt, Hong Kong, Sillypore, Taipe, KL, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Marrakesh, Tunis, Shefferville, Aguanish, Quebec, Montreal Mirabel or Dorval, Lisboa, Huntsville Alabama and a few other dark places.

Except old and new Bangkok airports, Phuket, Udon Thani. One strange common factor here: are't these in Thailand? :D

Dear Bendix, seems we have a few airports in common but we travelled on different planes, that must be the explanation. :D

And Oh, will be landing at Savanaboom next wednesday June 6, I wonder if I will get stopped again trying to get one floor down to find the real taxi stand which will still not have moved to where it belongs. straight out arrivals exit. How many touts will I hit with my luggage cart before I get there?

1k baht to the winner. :o

And Oh, Bendix, whilst we are at it, some 10 years ago an aquiantance who stayed in the same hotel did not show up on time for an outing. I went to look for him, had hotel staff open his room, foun him drugged, took severall weeks to have him recover, long story I am not going to lay down here, only had small money on him when it happened.

Since it did not happen to me, just to a guy who stayed at my hotel, for you this will part of the ongoing urban myth. :D

Edited by tartempion

I have been hassled by touts at LHR LGW LTN GLA STN. So it happens in the UK.

Whilst living in Kuwait working 9 weeks on 4 off, on my return to the UK, nothing but touts.

Several weekend trips to Dubai and Bahrain from Kuwait. Touts again.

Taxi Touts do exist outiside of Thailand. And from my experiences in the Middle East, can be quite aggressive.

I will be arriving in BKK late this month. I know I will get some hassle from the touts. From past experiences, a stern "No Thank You" will suffice.

I just say "No". If they want to waste time following me around and loose out on others who may take the bait then it's up to them.

The alleged person who accepted the offer from the "pretty tout" was probably thinking with the wrong head anyway and where and when that got him in trouble was most likely the only variable in the story if true.

oh as an after thought, my suitcases are well travelled and have destination stickers etc all over them. I very rarely get approached, but I will admit to have seen people with"virgin suitcases" being harrassed

Same goes for Customs as well !!!!!

And Oh, Bendix, whilst we are at it, some 10 years ago an aquiantance who stayed in the same hotel did not show up on time for an outing. I went to look for him, had hotel staff open his room, foun him drugged, took severall weeks to have him recover, long story I am not going to lay down here, only had small money on him when it happened.

Since it did not happen to me, just to a guy who stayed at my hotel, for you this will part of the ongoing urban myth. :o

Ahhhhh .. another story where it happened to an acquaintance. A story in which the teller of the story can't talk knowledgeably about it because it didnt happen to them . . . . Okkkaaaaaaay.

I repeat my challenge.

This urban myth seems to always happen to a friend of a friend. There are 40,000 members here, 95% of whom I would guess have been to Thailand.

Can anyone tell us their experiences of being drugged and robbed.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief when I hear a credible story. Until then, it's all hearsay and bullshit repeated be people with too much imagination.

Since it did not happen to me, just to a guy who stayed at my hotel, for you this will part of the ongoing urban myth. :o

Ahhhhh .. another story where it happened to an acquaintance. A story in which the teller of the story can't talk knowledgeably about it because it didnt happen to them . . . . Okkkaaaaaaay.

I repeat my challenge.

This urban myth seems to always happen to a friend of a friend. There are 40,000 members here, 95% of whom I would guess have been to Thailand.

Can anyone tell us their experiences of being drugged and robbed.

I'm willing to suspend my disbelief when I hear a credible story. Until then, it's all hearsay and bullshit repeated be people with too much imagination.

Urban Myth?

Not a chance.

Sad but true. It happens every day.

A close friend was recently slipped somthing. Knocked him out!

My family ran a small hotel in Bangkok. 2 or 3 times a year, some guest would get drugged. Sleep for 2 days sometimes.

Why is it impossible to protect arrivals from the cheats?

If I was in charge of that airport, there would be zero touts screwing with the arrivals.

My security force would be making it painfull for anybody ripping off people on my watch.

I totally agree- it would take very minimal effort to kick them out...it's a national embarassment that within seconds of entering the kingdom, the first thing a visitor experiences is being surronded by people trying to rip them off...

Urban Myth?

Not a chance.

My family ran a small hotel in Bangkok. 2 or 3 times a year, some guest would get drugged. Sleep for 2 days sometimes.

Yet another 'it happened to a close friend' etc etc yadda yadda yadda

Come on - surely if it happens every day it MUST have happened at least once to one of our 40,000 members.

bendix - doubting Thomas and bitter-mints. Will someone please give him a Mickey Fin so that he will believe in them.

One should always look on the brightside of Life da dum da dee.. If drugged asleep and robbed at least they didn't cut your throat and bury you in a shallow grave near the airport.

The airport permits touts as they rent desks at the airport probably expensively which is why they need such large fees compared to meter taxis. Stikll that is no reason for the AOT to permit these touts.

They are waiting to select a new Chairman at AOT. They have 10 applicants for the 900,000 baht a month job including two airforce Generals.

Urban Myth?

Not a chance.

Come on - surely if it happens every day it MUST have happened at least once to one of our 40,000 members.

you can't really be surprised at the silence ,

not the kind of thing one would be in a hurry to admit to on a public forum ............... :o

Urban Myth?

Not a chance.

you can't really be surprised at the silence ,

not the kind of thing one would be in a hurry to admit to on a public forum ............... :o

But is there not a slight flaw in this wanting first hand knowledge as surely the said person wouldn't actually remember anything!!? Other than waking up and not having the belonging they had before. . ..

I've had numerous nights where I've woken up the next day without remembering where I've been . . . but then again this was because I consumed the drugs on my own free will! :D Many times when I lived in Amsterdam I had no idea where I'd been the previous night. :D

bendix - doubting Thomas and bitter-mints. Will someone please give him a Mickey Fin so that he will believe in them.

One should always look on the brightside of Life da dum da dee.. If drugged asleep and robbed at least they didn't cut your throat and bury you in a shallow grave near the airport.

The airport permits touts as they rent desks at the airport probably expensively which is why they need such large fees compared to meter taxis. Stikll that is no reason for the AOT to permit these touts.

They are waiting to select a new Chairman at AOT. They have 10 applicants for the 900,000 baht a month job including two airforce Generals.

I dont think bendix gets out enough ( to these dodgy areas ) or he might be a victim, happened to 2 of my friends near the nana, we were all together, we found our company for the evening,but he went walkabout and had a coffee with 2 girls ? they were feeding him peanuts and one wasnt ( a peanut )! he stumbled into the hotel at about 8.30 skint looking like shit,. Now i know what happens next stupid sod blah blah,but this is first hand and witnessed by me twice, 2 different people,. cops said happens every night,.stupid farang ? ,. there was a similar case told to us by a member of staff at the hotel that a male guest had been drugged and raped by 2 ladymen ! ,woke up skint with a sore ass ! not nice,.. Edited by mikethevigoman

Bendix - are trying to lose some forum popularity contest? I ask because you are certainly beginning to tick off a lot of people!

Not that it matters at all, but please explain why.

I and many others have heard these stories about people being drugged and having their stuff stolen for years and years. And yet - and yet - these stories ALWAYS, without exception, have always happened to someone else, never the teller of the story. This thread is a perfect example of that. Four or five secondhand retellings by people whose friends it happened to, yet never any firsthand accounts. Mikevigoman is now relating stories about two ladyboys raping a guy after drugging him.

Put simply, I just don't believe it happens. I strongly suspect it's another Bangkok urban myth, propagated by people with either too much imagination or - perhaps more accurately - it is a story latched onto by a 'victim' who might have had one put over them by a girl or ladyboy in a compromising situation, but they are too embarassed to tell the truth and thus use the 'drugged' myth as a crutch.

Can anyone confirm if taxi touts are gone out of airport. While in Samui on holiday, my GF, who works at airport, received a call from friend saying that was the case. Friend says in two seperate incidents a tourist going to Pattaya accepted offer from pretty tout. In van individual was offered drink and then woke on side of motorway minus all baggage and money. Has anyone heard anything about this?

at bkk yesterday,and yes they are still there.if you take a tout common sense tells you not to get in a van,take a yellow taxi tout if you have to .better to join the queue for a real taxi ,normally about 10-15 minutes and your in one thats going to be pretty safe :o

Bendix - are trying to lose some forum popularity contest? I ask because you are certainly beginning to tick off a lot of people!

Not that it matters at all, but please explain why.

I and many others have heard these stories about people being drugged and having their stuff stolen for years and years. And yet - and yet - these stories ALWAYS, without exception, have always happened to someone else, never the teller of the story. This thread is a perfect example of that. Four or five secondhand retellings by people whose friends it happened to, yet never any firsthand accounts. Mikevigoman is now relating stories about two ladyboys raping a guy after drugging him.

Put simply, I just don't believe it happens. I strongly suspect it's another Bangkok urban myth, propagated by people with either too much imagination or - perhaps more accurately - it is a story latched onto by a 'victim' who might have had one put over them by a girl or ladyboy in a compromising situation, but they are too embarassed to tell the truth and thus use the 'drugged' myth as a crutch.

First, I will agree with Bendix's skepticism, but to say it doesn't happen is not reasonable either. Granted, I assume that if it does happen it is mostly to those hanging around naughty places, with naughty people, late at night in the usual naughty suspect areas. I will also allow that it could possibily occur to completely innocent people out at night with perhaps friends at a disco, etc.. I'll bet not often like that. The reason we haven't heard from anyone first hand is either because they don't want to subject themselves to ridicule for doing something stupid, or acknowledge that they hang around the naughty lifestyle. But to say it doesn't happen, I guess it's like saying date rape drugs have never been administered to unwitting people anywhere, unless you hear first hand accounts.

However, the main reason Bendix can't get a confession is because it is nonsense to believe that the entire empirical and collective experiences of farangs in Thailand are represented on this limited internet forum. Granted, it is the largest such forum in Thailand, but is heavily anglophone, and the contributions seem to be from a relatively small group of "regulars." hel_l, I've lived 7 years here and was never sufficiently inclined to even join until a few months ago. I just came on as a guest whenever I needed something, but was too busy or uninterested to get on more than that. Now, I see how amusing it can be, and keep a window open for grins while I work the day away.

So, making an blanket assessment from a limited sampling pool seems not on.

hmm,

taxi touts 1)

Sydney airport October last year. Walking towards the taxi rank which had a long queue, uniformed cabbies appoached wanting to know if I wanted a ride with them. Avoiding the airport sucharge no doubt.

taxi touts 2)

walk out of any nightclub in london after the tube shuts down at 11pm. The first thing you'll hear is mini cab...mini cab. Will take you anywhere for 30 quid...2100 baht!

taxi touts 3) Singapore. This Sunday night. Walking through the airport after picking up bag. "Sir, sir . . do you need to go into town. Very good price sir."

I took him up on the offer, and accepted his kind offer of a coffee in his car. Next thing i know, I woke up the following morning, no wallet, no luggage, my watch missing and my bumhole feeling like i'd had a pretty impressive chicken vindaloo.

Can someone tell me what happened?

taxi touts 3) Singapore. This Sunday night. Walking through the airport after picking up bag. "Sir, sir . . do you need to go into town. Very good price sir."

I took him up on the offer, and accepted his kind offer of a coffee in his car. Next thing i know, I woke up the following morning, no wallet, no luggage, my watch missing and my bumhole feeling like i'd had a pretty impressive chicken vindaloo.

Can someone tell me what happened?

I can't tell you what happened, but I will be glad to re-tell your story on this forum, and then you can refute the story because I didn't relate it from my own experience. :o

If it helps in the telling, the taxi driver was a rather tall, striking lady with a pronounced Adams Apple, a screechy voice and a flamboyant walk.

Well in that case, I'm going to have to change the setting of the story back to Thailand. Ok, so I will bend the facts just a bit...