Requesting copy of Thai birth certificate

I am a UK passport holder born in Thailand but currently living in Spain. I need a copy of my Thai birth certificate to apply for Spanish residency (I have my original Thai birth cert but Spain requires a copy issued in the last 90 days). 

I'm on a time crunch and need to know the fastest way to get hold of a copy of my birth certificate. I was told by the Thai embassy in London that I would have to go through a solicitor in the UK and grant someone in Thailand power of attorney to request a copy of the cert, however, I don't know anyone in Thailand and this sounds pretty long-winded. With the restrictions easing I'm considering flying to Thailand to request it myself. Does anybody here have experience requesting a copy of their Thai passport? Where did you go? How long did it take? Was it a difficult process? What was the process?

Absolutely any help would be greatly appreciated, I'm getting a little desperate!

As far I know this would simply mean you need to make a colour copy yourself and then get it stamped with Ministry of Foreign affairs. This is usually something that can be done very easy and fast for 200 baht or something. Guess complicated if not knowing anyone here unless spending on a lawyer or so.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I would think that the Thai embassy could do a certified copy of your birth certificate that would be accepted.

A Amphoe here cannot issue a new birth certificate. They will only certify a copy and attach a print out of the birth registry to it.

• Thanks 1

At the risk of hi-jacking the thread, what if you do not have an original or copy of your Thai birth certificate?

My wife doesn't have hers and has been told by the local Amphoe.......fat chance, please go away.

Edited by Will B Good

2 minutes ago, Will B Good said:

My wife doesn't have hers and has been told by the local Amphoe.......fat chance, please go away.

If she went to the Amphoe where her birth was registered they could check their file for the registration and provide a copy of the birth certificate.

Just now, ubonjoe said:

If she went to the Amphoe where her birth was registered they could check their file for the registration and provide a copy of the birth certificate.

Mmmmm....that is what I expected to happen.

I have a suspicion something has gone wrong!

Her mother gave her away when she was born to a family in another village, but her Aunties carried out a raid sometime later and snatched her back......need to dig a little deeper.

Having said that she has her Thai ID, which I assume must be linked to her birth certificate in someway???

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

1 hour ago, Will B Good said:

Mmmmm....that is what I expected to happen.

I have a suspicion something has gone wrong!

Her mother gave her away when she was born to a family in another village, but her Aunties carried out a raid sometime later and snatched her back......need to dig a little deeper.

Having said that she has her Thai ID, which I assume must be linked to her birth certificate in someway???

Anyway, thanks for the advice.

It's the tessa ban office thai issues birth certificates and house books, the amphor issues an ID-card based on the tessa ban's registration.

The tessa ban office in the town connected to your wife's birth place would be the one to consult, eventual the tessa ban office where your wife is registered in a house book.

I got a spelling error changed on my daughter's birth certificate made in the tessa ban office where she is registered in house book.